5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How has your ceramic coating held up

Snicklefritz_76

Reaction score
I did a clay bar and alcohol wash last year followed by 2 base coats of Black Ice ceramic on the paint:

Followed by an additional top coat of The Last Coat:

I was really happy with the results and it held up well under the harsh winter.

Last week I did another clay bar and alcohol wash and added another top coat, this time I did the glass and interior too.

Here's what I ordered, still have plenty left over to do one more coat.
1624680051274.png

Here she is
_20210616_134137.jpg

djmobilehome

Reaction score
So I’ve done this a few times...with both the pro stuff and Amazon junk (just to see the difference). This time I tried Avalon King and I thinks it’s the best amateur ceramic out there. Extremely easy to apply and cover, flashes well, and removal was good. Did my new truck today in about 8 hours which involved a wash, clay bar, polish, alcohol wipe and ceramic application. View attachment 84847

Truck looks great! I'm curious if you're still happy with the Avalon King coating, and how it's held up over the last few months? Looking to DIY my Rebel, as well as my wife's new Telluride, as soon as it arrives. . .

Tmsmedic

Reaction score
Truck looks great! I'm curious if you're still happy with the Avalon King coating, and how it's held up over the last few months? Looking to DIY my Rebel, as well as my wife's new Telluride, as soon as it arrives. . .
It has held up well so far but it’s only been a few months now. What I liked most was the ease of application. I still recommend, especially for beginners.

Big Tup

Reaction score
I used Griot's 3-in-1 Ceramic wax on my 2021 Black Limited Longhorn. I live in Northern Virginia and truck is parked outside. It has been one month since I have applied it. I did two coats. Truck has been exposed to sun, heavy rain, and a few hand-washes and it is still holding up well. Beads well, shines well, and prevents bugs and things from sticking hard on the paint. It was really easy to apply. I will check back in a few months with another update.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I used Griot's 3-in-1 Ceramic wax on my 2021 Black Limited Longhorn. I live in Northern Virginia and truck is parked outside. It has been one month since I have applied it. I did two coats. Truck has been exposed to sun, heavy rain, and a few hand-washes and it is still holding up well. Beads well, shines well, and prevents bugs and things from sticking hard on the paint. It was really easy to apply. I will check back in a few months with another update.
Griot's is great stuff...high quality and excellent support should you need it. I lived in N. VA (Haymarket) for 10 years before heading South...beautiful area!

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is in the detail shop until tomorrow night. 3 coats of Jade Quartz Pro 9H Ceramic. I used the U-connect app to ensure she was still sitting in the shop... Trust, but verify 😁

Attachments

• 088689B3-8091-4BFB-A05B-59C8A22A0388.jpeg
    088689B3-8091-4BFB-A05B-59C8A22A0388.jpeg
    218.8 KB · Views: 42

Brunzca

Reaction score
I've gotten one quote for professional ceramic thus far, from a local mobile detailer, who does top quality work on detail (I haven't seen anything he does re: ceramic). He quoted me $900, for a 3 year product, which doesn't seem too bad, considering some of the others I've seen. But, I still like the DIY idea, if I can get some more confidence in it.. I just don't want to ruin my new truck. After watching a couple youtube videos, I may even do a separate product for the base layer and top coat.

I've done one full detail myself on it so far, followed by 2 coats of chemical brothers hydroslick coating, so I pretty well covered every inch, and I didn't find any areas that needed correction. (2 months off the lot).

That said, as I've never done paint correction before, or even clay barring. After watching some videos, I think I'm going to watch some more, and if I'm comfortable, buy a reasonable polisher (as suggested here), and run through the process on my wife's car first. She has a 2015 Rogue with some scratches and chips, so it could use the work, and no harm if it's not perfect.

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've gotten one quote for professional ceramic thus far, from a local mobile detailer, who does top quality work on detail (I haven't seen anything he does re: ceramic). He quoted me $900, for a 3 year product, which doesn't seem too bad, considering some of the others I've seen. But, I still like the DIY idea, if I can get some more confidence in it.. I just don't want to ruin my new truck. After watching a couple youtube videos, I may even do a separate product for the base layer and top coat.

I've done one full detail myself on it so far, followed by 2 coats of chemical brothers hydroslick coating, so I pretty well covered every inch, and I didn't find any areas that needed correction. (2 months off the lot).

That said, as I've never done paint correction before, or even clay barring. After watching some videos, I think I'm going to watch some more, and if I'm comfortable, buy a reasonable polisher (as suggested here), and run through the process on my wife's car first. She has a 2015 Rogue with some scratches and chips, so it could use the work, and no harm if it's not perfect.
I went professional myself... too easy to screw it up and I don't have a dust-free environment.

They wash, clay-bar, de-iron, wash again, three step polish, three coats of Jade 9H Pro Ceramic and sits in the shop for 48hours to cure (raining here in the North East). All for $1200. I figured it was worth it, as they guarantee for 7yrs.

cervelo15

Reaction score
I went professional myself... too easy to screw it up and I don't have a dust-free environment.

They wash, clay-bar, de-iron, wash again, three step polish, three coats of Jade 9H Pro Ceramic and sits in the shop for 48hours to cure (raining here in the North East). All for $1200. I figured it was worth it, as they guarantee for 7yrs.
Same here, went the pro route with a 7 year coating. This was after PPF was installed on the front.

I did the Adams Graphene coating route several months ago and wasn’t happy with the DIY results. Great water and dirt sheeting power and kept the truck clean, but the high spots were killing me. Especially on a granite Crystal paint where it was easy to see on a cloudy day. Some day, my OCD will be cured.

The nice thing about going pro route is I established a relationship with the shop who did it. So he said to come back and he’ll coat the inside of my wheels no charge. Also said he can get the maintenance wash products for 50% off the normal price. Plus if I have any issues, the shop is 2 mins from my house so It’s easy for me to stop by to have them check out any issues or answer any questions I have. That to me was worth a little extra money.

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same here, went the pro route with a 7 year coating. This was after PPF was installed on the front.

I did the Adams Graphene coating route several months ago and wasn’t happy with the DIY results. Great water and dirt sheeting power and kept the truck clean, but the high spots were killing me. Especially on a granite Crystal paint where it was easy to see on a cloudy day. Some day, my OCD will be cured.

The nice thing about going pro route is I established a relationship with the shop who did it. So he said to come back and he’ll coat the inside of my wheels no charge. Also said he can get the maintenance wash products for 50% off the normal price. Plus if I have any issues, the shop is 2 mins from my house so It’s easy for me to stop by to have them check out any issues or answer any questions I have. That to me was worth a little extra money.
Agreed! My shop a 2 miles away. Going to have him paint correct my wife's ‘90 Miata MX5. Said it will look like glass when he's done $250 including interior. All about the connections we make!

b5rider

Reaction score
I used Avalon King Armor Shield IX on my 2021 Laramie Diamond Back Crystal about 1 week after I got it home. I was lucky as there was no need for paint correction. I followed the instructions and washed the car with their prep soap, wiped it down with alcohol, and applied the coating 1 panel at a time. You really need to go slow and take your time. After about 3 hours, it looks better than new. I used the coating on the hard plastics and it made a huge difference. the bed caps stay shiny as do the mirrors and the b pillar. I'm going to use it on my wheels and Tonneau cover next. Highly recommend using a ceramic coating on any car. They are far superior than waxes. I have washed my car about 6 times since, and the water still beads and the truck shines like new.

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used Avalon King Armor Shield IX on my 2021 Laramie Diamond Back Crystal about 1 week after I got it home. I was lucky as there was no need for paint correction. I followed the instructions and washed the car with their prep soap, wiped it down with alcohol, and applied the coating 1 panel at a time. You really need to go slow and take your time. After about 3 hours, it looks better than new. I used the coating on the hard plastics and it made a huge difference. the bed caps stay shiny as do the mirrors and the b pillar. I'm going to use it on my wheels and Tonneau cover next. Highly recommend using a ceramic coating on any car. They are far superior than waxes. I have washed my car about 6 times since, and the water still beads and the truck shines like new.
I get my baby back tomorrow. Can’t wait! She’s inside for her 48 hour cure time. Ceramic tint coming next - 7/13. Tomorrow, Hellwig sway bar and lock’er down safes. This is addictive...

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get my baby back tomorrow. Can’t wait! She’s inside for her 48 hour cure time. Ceramic tint coming next - 7/13. Tomorrow, Hellwig sway bar and lock’er down safes. This is addictive...
Haha so then what are you going to do when you finish?

cervelo15

Reaction score
You’re gonna love the Hellwig sway bar. That was one of my first mods, super simple to install and made a hell of a difference.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You’re gonna love the Hellwig sway bar. That was one of my first mods, super simple to install and made a hell of a difference.
I’ve never driven a truck with one. It just keeps the back end from “leaning” on turns?

Users who are viewing this thread