5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How has your ceramic coating held up

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
For those of you that have gotten ceramic coating done , how has it held up? How long since it was applied ? What product was used?
I am picking up my truck from detailer today, had CQUARTZ PRO 2 layers coated with all the prep work. Should it come with paperwork or door jamb sticker? Any way to make sure an inferior product wasn’t used? (Reviews are really good and shop is a certified spot by Carpro Cquartz)

WReckeR

Reaction score
For those of you that have gotten ceramic coating done , how has it held up? How long since it was applied ? What product was used?
I am picking up my truck from detailer today, had CQUARTZ PRO 2 layers coated with all the prep work. Should it come with paperwork or door jamb sticker? Any way to make sure an inferior product wasn’t used? (Reviews are really good and shop is a certified spot by Carpro Cquartz)
P Dub,
What price were you given? I would like to do this as well, but the cost, whew...!

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
P Dub,
What price were you given? I would like to do this as well, but the cost, whew...!
Ok I just picked up my truck . Looks great. The package I got was like a new car prep. Decontaminate,iron x, Polish, interior detail , wheels coated, windshield coated with another product .. $1200. After a few weeks and a few washes I will see if it makes the ease of cleaning and repels water like I hope , and makes that shine pop, worth the investment. If you need paint correction it was 2k

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ok I just picked up my truck . Looks great. The package I got was like a new car prep. Decontaminate,iron x, Polish, interior detail , wheels coated, windshield coated with another product .. $1200. After a few weeks and a few washes I will see if it makes the ease of cleaning and repels water like I hope , and makes that shine pop, worth the investment. If you need paint correction it was 2k
That's crazy! If folks only knew how easy it really is to DIY.

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
That's crazy! If folks only knew how easy it really is to DIY.
If I mess up with the polishing could the paint or clear coat be damaged? If you don’t ceramic correctly will there be any long lasting issues visually.. I’ve heard of it looking wavy. I also don’t have a garage large enough for my truck to fit in let alone work on it. From what I’ve read it can’t be done in the sun . I’m a person that likes to diy basically everything, but this time around I let the detailer do it.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
If I mess up with the polishing could the paint or clear coat be damaged? If you don’t ceramic correctly will there be any long lasting issues visually.. I’ve heard of it looking wavy. I also don’t have a garage large enough for my truck to fit in let alone work on it. From what I’ve read it can’t be done in the sun . I’m a person that likes to diy basically everything, but this time around I let the detailer do it.
Not for everybody. However, if you use good products, and watch a few YT videos, you'll see how easy it really is. I bought a great quality Griots G9 orbital polisher for about $150...pads for about $20 and great quality polish for about $20. You really can't screw it up unless you don't use quality equipment nor understand how to polish. As far as putting ceramic on, you do 2' sections at a time...wait a minute or two for it to haze and wipe off with a quality microfiber towel. If your garage isn't large enough, it's a moot point. This is truly nothing to be afraid of. A bottle of excellent quality professional ceramic can be had for under $100. What you are really paying for is the labor...the materials are very cheap.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not for everybody. However, if you use good products, and watch a few YT videos, you'll see how easy it really is. I bought a great quality Griots G9 orbital polisher for about $150...pads for about $20 and great quality polish for about $20. You really can't screw it up unless you don't use quality equipment nor understand how to polish. As far as putting ceramic on, you do 2' sections at a time...wait a minute or two for it to haze and wipe off with a quality microfiber towel. If your garage isn't large enough, it's a moot point. This is truly nothing to be afraid of. A bottle of excellent quality professional ceramic can be had for under $100. What you are really paying for is the labor...the materials are very cheap.
sooo you gonna hook it up and do my truck lol

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can appreciate the professional grade coatings and why I cant get my hands on them.... but I can do paint correction and all myself so I just stick to the consumer grade stuff. So far my Adam's graphene coating has been great. Also had gtechniq CSL on my bighorn and it was still doing great a year after application.

KCViper

Reaction score
I can appreciate the professional grade coatings and why I cant get my hands on them.... but I can do paint correction and all myself so I just stick to the consumer grade stuff. So far my Adam's graphene coating has been great. Also had gtechniq CSL on my bighorn and it was still doing great a year after application.
I am most likely going with Adams graphene (I have many of their products). Any additional thoughts on this coating?

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am most likely going with Adams graphene (I have many of their products). Any additional thoughts on this coating?
As @securityguy mentionedit is a solid coating. Application was easy. The flash light thing isn’t necessary, as long you keep track of where you’ve applied it. Super hydrophobic and stays that way as long as you maintain it. I also noticed I coated over a spot on my tailgate with swirls, to fix it I taped the area off, compounded/polished the coating and swirls off and redid the coating in that area. Don’t think you can go wrong with the Adam’s graphene coating for a DIY coating.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
As @securityguy mentionedit is a solid coating. Application was easy. The flash light thing isn’t necessary, as long you keep track of where you’ve applied it. Super hydrophobic and stays that way as long as you maintain it. I also noticed I coated over a spot on my tailgate with swirls, to fix it I taped the area off, compounded/polished the coating and swirls off and redid the coating in that area. Don’t think you can go wrong with the Adam’s graphene coating for a DIY coating.
Exactly...a flashlight or black light isn't necessary. My friends shop does VERY high-end cars...Lambos, Porsches, MB, Ferrari's, etc. He uses Xpel for ceramic. I watched them coat a $200K Porsche the last time I was there getting my PPF done on my RAM. After the paint correction prep, it took them less than 45 minutes to do the entire car. No lights at all. The guy doing it I think got paid $15/hour, if that. I asked Alex what he charged to do the PC and Ceramic on the Porsche...he told me that it was $2500. Anyone can do this...you just need to have some common sense and follow the instructions.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Exactly...a flashlight or black light isn't necessary. My friends shop does VERY high-end cars...Lambos, Porsches, MB, Ferrari's, etc. He uses Xpel for ceramic. I watched them coat a $200K Porsche the last time I was there getting my PPF done on my RAM. After the paint correction prep, it took them less than 45 minutes to do the entire car. No lights at all. The guy doing it I think got paid $15/hour, if that. I asked Alex what he charged to do the PC and Ceramic on the Porsche...he told me that it was $2500. Anyone can do this...you just need to have some common sense and follow the instructions.
Agreed! And if you’re scared of damaging the paint during correction stick to foam pads. You would have to intentionally damage the paint of using a foam pad.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Agreed! And if you’re scared of damaging the paint during correction stick to foam pads. You would have to intentionally damage the paint of using a foam pad.
That's what I use...high-quality foam pads. All of the major companies where you buy the ceramic from also sell the pads. You can always check out www.autogeek.net too.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i wanna know where you guys are geting **** done for the xpel ppf for 2500 they all said 9-6 k around me

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i wanna know where you guys are geting **** done for the xpel ppf for 2500 they all said 9-6 k around me
What?!!?? Maybe for the entire truck! I got my front end done for $550. Bumpers, headlights, fascia panels.

Users who are viewing this thread