5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How has your ceramic coating held up

cervelo15

Reaction score
I’ve never driven a truck with one. It just keeps the back end from “leaning” on turns?
Yep, tightens up the rear end. So there is an off ramp I always take and before the sway bar, you could feel the truck want to move to the outside of the turn. Now, it holds the inside of the turn tight. Slightly comparable to how my wife’s Mercedes drives, which is big for a truck.

Brunzca

Reaction score
I went professional myself... too easy to screw it up and I don't have a dust-free environment.

They wash, clay-bar, de-iron, wash again, three step polish, three coats of Jade 9H Pro Ceramic and sits in the shop for 48hours to cure (raining here in the North East). All for $1200. I figured it was worth it, as they guarantee for 7yrs.
That sounds like a great deal for $1200, for a 7 year guarantee.. I might have jumped on that, too. Now that I’ve been doing all this research, it’s become a mission for a DIY project. Lol.

I detailed my truck again today, just for the purpose of finding any areas that need paint correction, and found basically NONE. I don’t know how that’s possible, but I had my contacts in, and everything. One tiny scratch, that I can get out without machining, I think. No swirls, anywhere….hmmm.

I used Avalon King Armor Shield IX on my 2021 Laramie Diamond Back Crystal about 1 week after I got it home. I was lucky as there was no need for paint correction. I followed the instructions and washed the car with their prep soap, wiped it down with alcohol, and applied the coating 1 panel at a time. You really need to go slow and take your time. After about 3 hours, it looks better than new. I used the coating on the hard plastics and it made a huge difference. the bed caps stay shiny as do the mirrors and the b pillar. I'm going to use it on my wheels and Tonneau cover next. Highly recommend using a ceramic coating on any car. They are far superior than waxes. I have washed my car about 6 times since, and the water still beads and the truck shines like new.
Good timing! My next question was going to be about what product. I’ve been searching here, Auto Geek, and all over the web for what ceramic, or combo to use. I looked at Jade, then Crystal Serum / Exo combo (but that doesn’t seem to last very long), today I’ve been trying to research 22ple, as well as CQuartz, + a SIC top coat. I don’t want to go super expensive, since I’ve never done this before, and I’m seeing the crazy expensive ones are also harder to work with, and less forgiving. So, I’ll keep looking.

Big Tup

Reaction score
Mine is in the detail shop until tomorrow night. 3 coats of Jade Quartz Pro 9H Ceramic. I used the U-connect app to ensure she was still sitting in the shop... Trust, but verify 😁
Hope your truck comes out looking great! Is the U-connect app a pay option to be able to track it?

kaiserstatt

Reaction score
Had an SB3 Trinity (7 yr) coating installed at the beginning of the month, this month. So far I’m not overly impressed with the hydrophobic properties…but maybe I’ve watched too many YouTube videos lol. The paint looked great after application but it should after a full polish on black paint. Tbh, I don’t know that I would do it again but maybe I’ll feel differently in a few months?

Brunzca

Reaction score
Finally pulled the trigger, and everything is on order. So, weather and schedule permitting, I will be putting the coating on next weekend. Ceramic tint is being installed next Friday afternoon, so can’t start until Sat. Wash, iron decon, clay, then polish with Car Pro Essence. I decided on NV Nova EVO for the coating, as a one-coat product that looks like it gives really good results

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
I just purchased my truck a month ago and was thinking about a ceramic coat.

In the experience of the posters on this thread...since it is new do I need to do all the clay bar action etc. or do you guys think I can apply something like Adam's graphene ceramic coating?

I don't mind doing the DIY route and don't want to pay somebody else to do it.

cervelo15

Reaction score

In the experience of the posters on this thread...since it is new do I need to do all the clay bar action etc. or do you guys think I can apply something like Adam's graphene ceramic coating?

So I went the same route you are thinking of going. I did a complete wash of the truck, clay bar, then polish with Sonax, then the Adams Graphene coating.

All in all took me 2.5 days to do. Here’s some of my learning highlights:
- Buy a good microfiber applicator for the coating. Autogeek has a nice 4x4 applicator and I wish I would have used it to apply the coating. Don’t use the applicator that comes with the kit.
- Apply the coating to your windows and lower panels first to get the technique down. I did this and found the right time and rhythm to wipe it off after it flashes.
- Have some Adams brilliant glaze on hand. This helps level out high spots when they dry for a day or two. This works, as the pro level coating I just had put on had a high spot near the tailgate handle. Took the high spot right out after 7+ days of drying.

Im not trying to be negative, but on my darker truck, wasn’t happy with my attempt with the Adams coating. The water sheeting was incredible, but the amount of high spots I had on my truck was enough to make me get it done professionally. That’s not a knock to the product, just my ability evn when taking my time. High spots happen even to pro level detailers, they just make it less noticeable. Not to mention, the pro level coatings are slated to last 5 plus years where Adams you may be doing it in another year or two.

Last edited:

Brunzca

Reaction score

I’ll try post a full review in a day or two, but I just did mine yesterday, almost all of it in one day. 12ish hours start to finish. Wash, iron remover, clay, polish, and ceramic application. today I’m just doing a spray on gloss booster and protective booster. I used Nova EVO, it’s a one coat ceramic. I’ve never applied a ceramic coat before, only learned watching YouTube videos, and it was pretty easy, VERY forgiving. I haven’t had my truck out in the sun, yet - but I only see one high spot (knock on wood) and that’s right around one of the badges, where I didn’t wipe it down well enough. The EVO gives you a lot of time to make corrections after you apply it, so it seems to be a good product for a first timer.

Brunzca

Reaction score
More pics in the "What did you do to your Ram today" thread. Still not great ones though, since I'm not a great photog. But, overall I'm happy with it. I think I have a couple more spots to touch up, eventually.
After getting it out in the sun, I found a few high spots, but, super easy to correct, a little essence on a MF towel, and polished down in seconds.
The main reasons I think I had any high spots at all, even being a 1st timer:
- applying in a garage, with terrible lighting (just the garage door opener light, and standard overhead light)
-being dog-azz tired after washing, claying, polishing all day. I should have waited until the next day.

But - the EVO product seems pretty great, looks good, seems to bring out a little darker gray in the color, super glossy, and if I can apply it myself, anyone can.

image3 (1).jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/