5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horrific Gas Mileage Hemi eTorque

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just went out to my truck and checked the trip A and B screens. If you leave your truck running, you can watch the last 2 numbers. They are in seconds and not minutes. The 2 middle digits are in minutes and not hours. The first two digits are in hrs. and not days. It has to reset to zero after 99 hrs, 59minutes, and 59 seconds.

Hmmmm, I never noticed mine moving in seconds.... I'll have to go check

JeffK2019

Reaction score
I was pretty sad when I was not able to order the E-Torque - it was on restriction over a 3 month period in combo with ORG, etc.. so finally my dealer and I decided to move forward with everything I wanted but the E-Torque. Gas mileage is pretty important to me as i use my truck for my work and only get compensated a small $ per mile.

Still pretty new but approaching my first 1,000 miles and I am averaging 19-19.5, no e-torque, and I put the Borla S Type on at around 180 miles and I can proudly say I floor this thing regularly on any on-ramp, stop light, you name it. I am sure that will wear off eventually, but so far it hasn't. Probably 50% of my driving is city, 50% highway, and highway for me is 75-80 MPH (it's California and people are flying by me even when going 80!). After everything I have read I was expecting 10-12 MPG.

Question - could the colder temps many of you face be a serious negative impact on your mileage? If you notice from my screenshot taken today it's pretty hot here (95 today) and I wonder if that helps the mileage. Although my AC is on full blast pretty much all the time. I also run 87 octane gas as fuel here in CA is insane currently.

I don't understand the huge MPG range people see based on all the threads I have read.

Somewhat related question - I intentionally ran the gas gauge down low today so I can get a feel for it's accuracy in case I ever need to stretch it. My miles to empty was 19.8 when I finally filled up so given my average of around 19.5 economy - I assumed it figured I had just over 1 gallon of fuel left in my tank. I filled the tank on the lowest nozzle setting then after click off went another by hand to click off. 28.8 gallons. Accounting for the 1 additional gallon it assumed I still had - is it really off 3 gallons? I could have had another 50-60 miles of range? I find myself out in the country often and I purchased the 33 gallon tank just for that purpose of having max range. Wonder if others have noticed this also.

Attachments

• EmptyTank_33Gal_28fill.jpeg
    EmptyTank_33Gal_28fill.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Trip_927_19MPG.jpeg
    Trip_927_19MPG.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 37

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
Somewhat related question - I intentionally ran the gas gauge down low today so I can get a feel for it's accuracy in case I ever need to stretch it. My miles to empty was 19.8 when I finally filled up so given my average of around 19.5 economy - I assumed it figured I had just over 1 gallon of fuel left in my tank. I filled the tank on the lowest nozzle setting then after click off went another by hand to click off. 28.8 gallons. Accounting for the 1 additional gallon it assumed I still had - is it really off 3 gallons? I could have had another 50-60 miles of range? I find myself out in the country often and I purchased the 33 gallon tank just for that purpose of having max range. Wonder if others have noticed this also.
+1 same issue for me in my 33 gal tank. Ran mine so low remote start would not work, miles until empty won't display and gas light on. I only got 28-29 gal of fuel in at fill up. Dumb.

prairiedoggn

Reaction score
I really wish I’d seen this thread prior to Saturday, as I bought my 1500 Rebel w/ eTorque that day. It’s been 2 days and I’m already having regrets... I traded in an amazing 2016 Scat Pack Charger because I wanted some utility, and opted for the eTorque package to save a few dollars at the pump.

Car had maybe 150 miles on the odometer and said 12.2 mpg but I use figured something weird from the factory, a couple test drivers going nuts etc so I reset the trip counter. Since then I’ve gone 150 miles of my own and have been nursing it, using cruise control, and keeping it in 2-wheel drive. Right now I’m at 13.2 mpg and of course my sticker clearly says I should expect 17/23/19. I’ve got 3.92 gear ratio and my city/hwy has been about 50/50.

Called my salesperson and while they didn’t sound 100% sure they said “that’s due to the break-in period, the efficiency will come”. I checked fuelly based on recommendations from here and there aren’t many rebel crew cabs with eTorque. I did see 13.7 and 14.4, still a far cry from what the sticker says.....

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I really wish I’d seen this thread prior to Saturday, as I bought my 1500 Rebel w/ eTorque that day. It’s been 2 days and I’m already having regrets... I traded in an amazing 2016 Scat Pack Charger because I wanted some utility, and opted for the eTorque package to save a few dollars at the pump.

Car had maybe 150 miles on the odometer and said 12.2 mpg but I use figured something weird from the factory, a couple test drivers going nuts etc so I reset the trip counter. Since then I’ve gone 150 miles of my own and have been nursing it, using cruise control, and keeping it in 2-wheel drive. Right now I’m at 13.2 mpg and of course my sticker clearly says I should expect 17/23/19. I’ve got 3.92 gear ratio and my city/hwy has been about 50/50.

Called my salesperson and while they didn’t sound 100% sure they said “that’s due to the break-in period, the efficiency will come”. I checked fuelly based on recommendations from here and there aren’t many rebel crew cabs with eTorque. I did see 13.7 and 14.4, still a far cry from what the sticker says.....
You won’t get anywhere near 19 with a rebel with the 3.92 rear end even after break in.

CornTrucks

Reaction score
It is not ideal, but the EPA mileage on the window sticker is more for government use than consumer use. I’m all for any tricks they can use to inflate those numbers, because it decreases the price of our pickups by reducing the amount of CAFE credits that must be purchased from Tesla et. al. Remember that the same EPA numbers are used from a Tradesman 4x4 Hemi with 3.21 axle ratio and the deploying front air dam to a Limited with 3.92 axle and the off-road group and every other option included, to a Rebel with different front front end aerodynamics.

Every vehicle I own personally greatly outperforms EPA ratings.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
+1 same issue for me in my 33 gal tank. Ran mine so low remote start would not work, miles until empty won't display and gas light on. I only got 28-29 gal of fuel in at fill up. Dumb.

I filled up today with 34 miles to empty. Filled up with 30.15 gallons. Average 16.1 mpg. That’s pretty damn close to 33 total.

Raminit

Reaction score
I was pretty sad when I was not able to order the E-Torque - it was on restriction over a 3 month period in combo with ORG, etc.. so finally my dealer and I decided to move forward with everything I wanted but the E-Torque. Gas mileage is pretty important to me as i use my truck for my work and only get compensated a small $ per mile.

Still pretty new but approaching my first 1,000 miles and I am averaging 19-19.5, no e-torque, and I put the Borla S Type on at around 180 miles and I can proudly say I floor this thing regularly on any on-ramp, stop light, you name it. I am sure that will wear off eventually, but so far it hasn't. Probably 50% of my driving is city, 50% highway, and highway for me is 75-80 MPH (it's California and people are flying by me even when going 80!). After everything I have read I was expecting 10-12 MPG.

Question - could the colder temps many of you face be a serious negative impact on your mileage? If you notice from my screenshot taken today it's pretty hot here (95 today) and I wonder if that helps the mileage. Although my AC is on full blast pretty much all the time. I also run 87 octane gas as fuel here in CA is insane currently.

I don't understand the huge MPG range people see based on all the threads I have read.

Premium Fuel?

It’s funny I’ve noticed my MPG’s were pretty bad and yesterday I was jumping for joy when I hit 18.2 on a 20 minute highway run. The difference was that I put mid grade in instead of Regular.

3.92 Gears & E Torque 6.5 bed (No Tonneau)
22 inch wheels

AndreiV

Reaction score
I filled up today with 34 miles to empty. Filled up with 30.15 gallons. Average 16.1 mpg. That’s pretty **** close to 33 total.
I ran my fuel on 26 gal tank past LOW indication, when projected miles no longer displayed, for another 15 miles, and filled 24.7 gallons. So still had about a gallon left.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
I just did my first fill-up this morning. 398 miles on the odometer, 354 since I brought it home with a full tank. DTE read 121, and I've got the 33-gallon tank. Fuel gauge was just under 1/4 tank. MPG readout said 15.1.

Truck took 23.757 gallons of 89-octane (pretty sure the dealer put 87 in it), for a MPG of 14.9.

I'd say that's pretty good for a brand-new truck with 3.92s and the eTorque. I expect it'll go up 1-3 MPGs over the next 5-7k miles.

My last 2 EcoBoost F-150s (3.5-liter) both averaged about 16.25 over 36k miles.

After filling up, I reset Trip A (I use the full display for Yearly, Trip A for the Tank, and Trip B for the Quarter - I keep detailed records for my web site) and the rest of my 21 miles to work averaged 19.2... better than I ever saw in the same exact situation with my previous trucks.

I'm happy. (NOTE: I did NOT make this post to brag, only to give my specific experience)

-John

CornTrucks

Reaction score
What are the specs of your 2019 DT Ram and what mileage are you getting with it?
I haven’t purchased a new Ram yet; I was referring to my 2014 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 V6 and 2016 Dodge Charger 5.7 Hemi RT. The Jeep is rated for 27 highway, and I average 31 combined, and get 36 highway. My Charger is rated at 25 highway but gets 30 combined and 36 highway. I just use 87 octane E10 fuel...although I am switching to E15 as it becomes more available.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
I haven’t purchased a new Ram yet; I was referring to my 2014 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 V6 and 2016 Dodge Charger 5.7 Hemi RT. The Jeep is rated for 27 highway, and I average 31 combined, and get 36 highway. My Charger is rated at 25 highway but gets 30 combined and 36 highway. I just use 87 octane E10 fuel...although I am switching to E15 as it becomes more available.

There's a difference between regular passenger vehicles and pickup trucks, which I think was mentioned before (or on another thread on this forum).

The manufacturers only use a few variations to certify their trucks, namely: base trim level, tallest (numerically lowest) gearing, each engine, and 4x2/4x4.

For a RAM 1500, it's most likely that FCA tested a Tradesman in 4x2 and 4x4, with 3.6/5.7/5.7 eTorque, all in regular cab/long bed configuration with 3.21 rear axle ratios. So they test a total of 6 trucks.

When a truck is ordered with 3.55 or 3.92 RAR, loaded up with options (Limited trim level), different cab/bed configurations, the baseline EPA ratings are used.

This leads to wildly different MPGs in the real world. I have been reading forums and checking Fuelly.com for years, and it's pretty rare to see a truck actually attain its EPA rating, much less beat it. Those trucks are typically used on flatter land with lightly-traveled roads.

I had a 2011 F-150 with the 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine, 3.55 RAR, supercab, 6.5' bed, 4x4. It averaged 16.47 MPGs hand-calculated over 36,200 miles.
My 2015 F-150 with the 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine, 3.55 RAR, supercrew, 5.5' bed, 4x4, averaged 16.15 MPGs hand-calculated over 35,800 miles.

For the rest of regular passenger cars, there's usually one, maybe 2 RARs, and they're pretty close numerically. Each engine/trans is certified, and that's about it. Add in the aerodynamic differences between trucks and passenger cars, and it's not surprising to see great variations from the EPA numbers.

I hope this helps.

-John

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For a RAM 1500, it's most likely that FCA tested a Tradesman in 4x2 and 4x4, with 3.6/5.7/5.7 eTorque, all in regular cab/long bed configuration with 3.21 rear axle ratios. So they test a total of 6 trucks.
Where is this mythical "regular cab/long bed" all-new Ram 1500 you speak of? :)

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Back around post #564 and after there was some discussion around TFLtruck MPG test results of their Rebel. Here is an updated video after they've added some Mopar accessories, and lift, and larger tires:
Previously they had gotten around 17-18 hwy MPG. After the mods they got just into the 19s.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Back around post #564 and after there was some discussion around TFLtruck MPG test results of their Rebel. Here is an updated video after they've added some Mopar accessories, and lift, and larger tires:
Previously they had gotten around 17-18 hwy MPG. After the mods they got just into the 19s.
Their mileage could have more to do with break-in or summer gas than anything they changed.

ETA: Just finished watching the video. They also acknowledged break-in and gas blends. I drove the same route August 1st from Chatfield Reservoir to Moab and got 23.1 mpg with my Limited. Takes about 1/2 tank when you have the 33 gallon tank.

Cracks me up when they complain about the small tank on their Rebel. I believe they bought their truck from Johnson Auto Plaza in Brighton. I researched local inventories before I bought my truck. It seems the ordering mgr. at Johnson's bought most of their trucks with skid plates and the standard tank.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread