5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horrific Gas Mileage Hemi eTorque

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Their mileage could have more to do with break-in or summer gas than anything they changed.

Yes there are a lot of factors. TFL uses 87 octane (10% ethanol blend in CO?) for Ram and is at elevation. They did a similar trip in December with Trailboss, Raptor, and that same Rebel pre-modifications:
TB =19.3
Raptor = 17.3
Rebel = 17.9

This newer result in summer with 35s and lift is pretty good

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm aware. I live just down the highway from TFL. I also use 87 Mid-grade, unless I'm at Costco where they don't have it and have to use Premium.

E.Hands

Reaction score
I have ~1100 miles on my '19 Limited 4x4 w/ 3.92, no bed cover, 5.7L non-e-torque. I drive pretty conservatively, mostly CITY miles, and fill w/ 91 oct. OEM 22" rims w/ OEM all season tires (not off road). Car computer says ~12.2 to 12.4 avg MPG. Yikes!
Try using the recommended octane. I bet your mileage will improve.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Try using the recommended octane. I bet your mileage will improve.

Why would his mileage improve with 89 vs 91? I can understand 87 vs 89. But once at 91, he is meeting the recommended octane for the timing his engine is running.

The only time higher octane could be an issue is for example 100 octane race gas, which is much harder to ignite and not a good idea for cars not tuned at that level.

Plus, most tests show that fuel octane is slightly higher than posted to prevent lower than posting issues. Such as 89 actually being 90 or even 91 when tested.

Tommy R

Reaction score
For what it's worth, about 7k miles ago I replaced my stock wheels/tires with some 295/70-18 Coopers (~34.5"). Factoring in the 3% (if I recall) difference in the odometer, my fuel economy hasn't changed. The new tires are a larger diameter and likely a bit heavier, which would hurt my economy, but they're a lot milder tread pattern, which helps. I suspect if I'd gone with a more aggressive tire, my economy would've suffered. Tread pattern makes a big difference in rolling resistance, but I often see it ignored in MPG discussions.

I also see a HUGE difference in my economy based on the wind strength/direction. I've seen 20 MPG on the highway with the wind helping me and when I turned around heading into the wind, I saw 11 MPG. This was at 65 MPH or so. And again, I rarely see folks mention if the wind may be a factor in their good or bad MPG figures.

SteveThePirate

Reaction score
I have a 2019 non eTorque with the 3.92

I do a lot of empty, fairly high speed, highway driving and after about 8k miles I am getting:

Average of 18.5 MPG Highway
Average of 16 Around Town

I am usually north of 80 on my highway driving (Southwest desert)

Around town, most of the surface roads are +40 MPH speed limits and traffic isn't bad.

If I am idling a lot for around town driving to run the AC, I usually loose about 1 MPG for an hour+ of idling. 33 Gal tank for reference.

I find the computer to be pretty close to hand calc for my around town driving, but 1-2 MPG high for highway.

Absolutely love the truck for long trips!

Just to see what it would do, I ran sub 70 MPH for a tank on moderately hilly terrain and got about 20 (hand calc).

Pic of an average trip readout attached

Attachments

• 20190725_203637.jpg
    20190725_203637.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 45

E.Hands

Reaction score
Why would his mileage improve with 89 vs 91? I can understand 87 vs 89. But once at 91, he is meeting the recommended octane for the timing his engine is running.

The only time higher octane could be an issue is for example 100 octane race gas, which is much harder to ignite and not a good idea for cars not tuned at that level.

Plus, most tests show that fuel octane is slightly higher than posted to prevent lower than posting issues. Such as 89 actually being 90 or even 91 when tested.
I've seen other cars get worse MPG using higher than recommended octane fuel. You definitely lose money at the pump and prolly get less MPG down the road. YMMV! Lol

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I've seen other cars get worse MPG using higher than recommended octane fuel. You definitely lose money at the pump and prolly get less MPG down the road. YMMV! Lol

Too many variables honestly to be sure, unless the vehicle drove exactly the same with both octane. But I have't experience any difference with 87, 89 or 91, they are all equally crappy mpg lol.

However, I personally use 91 from Costco because its cheaper than 87 from other stations and it at least meets the 89 octane requirement. I would use 89, but Costco only has regular or premium. So if my choices are either 87 or 91, I'll just go with 91. I won't get worse mpg or performance than if I used regular.

Just to mention, people have tested octane levels at pumps to see what they actually are, most are actually slowing higher octane than posted (i.e. 87 is closer to 88 or 89, 89 is closer to 90 or 91, etc. The reason is that oil companies don't want to risk being too low, so they end up being just a bit higher to make sure they stay compliant.

E.Hands

Reaction score
Too many variables honestly to be sure, unless the vehicle drove exactly the same with both octane. But I have't experience any difference with 87, 89 or 91, they are all equally crappy mpg lol.

However, I personally use 91 from Costco because its cheaper than 87 from other stations and it at least meets the 89 octane requirement. I would use 89, but Costco only has regular or premium. So if my choices are either 87 or 91, I'll just go with 91. I won't get worse mpg or performance than if I used regular.

Just to mention, people have tested octane levels at pumps to see what they actually are, most are actually slowing higher octane than posted (i.e. 87 is closer to 88 or 89, 89 is closer to 90 or 91, etc. The reason is that oil companies don't want to risk being too low, so they end up being just a bit higher to make sure they stay compliant.
91 octane at Costco pricing FTW!
Glad to hear that actual octane of the fuel may be higher than posted.
I've heard that the fuel trucks deliver two different octane and the mid grade is simply a mix of the the two? Any idea if this is the case?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
91 octane at Costco pricing FTW!
Glad to hear that actual octane of the fuel may be higher than posted.
I've heard that the fuel trucks deliver two different octane and the mid grade is simply a mix of the the two? Any idea if this is the case?

That's what normal stations do, they have blender pumps for 89, mixing 87 and 91/93, but for some reason Costco doesn't do that.

If you wanted, you can fill up half the tank with premium and then half the tank with regular and that should do it, though I probably avoid doing the mixing at one sitting since Costco is about getting people in and out, and the driver behind you is watching impatiently :)

It think a good strategy would be filling up with premium, then when half a tank, fill up with regular, and keep switching. I work from home so this isn't something I'll have to do often.

19RebelZ

Reaction score
go get it updated. I just had mine taken care of (was getting 13.5 MPG on 55mph highways) After the update i enjoyed 23 mpg.

Here is what they did:
RRT 18-132: 2019 DT Hybrid Control Processor
RRT 18-131: 2019 DT TCM Updates
RRT 18-130: 2019 DT PCM Updates
so it has been some time since you had these updated. are you still seeing similar results? i only ask because tonight i was on the phone with ram customer service for another issue and the lady on the phone asked me why i haven't had these updates done yet? Appreciate any info

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Back around post #564 and after there was some discussion around TFLtruck MPG test results of their Rebel. Here is an updated video after they've added some Mopar accessories, and lift, and larger tires:
Previously they had gotten around 17-18 hwy MPG. After the mods they got just into the 19s.

I'm honestly thinking some of that has to go to the toyo AT2 tires. I remember when the rebel came out, the generation 1 cersion, chief designer lady was talking about how significant it was that there wasn't a big mpg hit after they removed the air dam and lifted it up and put some more rubber on it and add of the skid plates and all the other stuff.

They felt very pleased that they were able to have the same ride characteristics and the mpg.
Now I have a feeling that had to do with the Toyo AT2 tires, they're pretty soft riding for an all terrain tire. They're pretty good at dust and dirt. The tread pattern looks nice, but if you close one eye and really look at it, is not that far off from a road tire.

However in my experience, and if ou've seen some other rebel forums, the experiences of other guys in colder wet climates (canada, pacific northwest), they are slip and slide tires and certain conditions. Maybe that was how some batches went out (over a couple year span) and they may be have since corrected it? But I had nothing nice to say about those tires and their cold wet performance.

Apparently it had something to do with the silica compound in the tire. While it's got good side wall strength and doesn't roll around, once it gets wet and also cold? The grip leaves something to be desired.

I switched to a KO2 tire in the factory size, and noticed what appeared to be a little more rolling resistance, a slight mpg loss, a little more bodyroll after 2,000miles, but vastly improved grip on all surfaces and in all conditions.

Again I didn't change my routes, I didn't change my driving style, I still lived in the same place and drove to the same places, the stock tire size was the same.
The mpg dropped, the grip was vastly better with the KO2.

IMHO the mpg improvements, in addition to break in? I think the toyo tires and engineair intake mods contributed.

Konrad

Reaction score
I'm VERY happy with my eTorque mpg ('19 BigHorn QC 6ft4, Hemi eTorque, MFG date 9-18). This is from the last 2 days. Some 45 miles of city and suburban driving, the remainder on the interstate at 68-75 mph, cruise control about 50% of the time.
4b6b7936f5676130b286bd25678fbee2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Northeast16SS

Reaction score
so it has been some time since you had these updated. are you still seeing similar results? i only ask because tonight i was on the phone with ram customer service for another issue and the lady on the phone asked me why i haven't had these updates done yet? Appreciate any info

Does the update actually help the truck achieve better mpg numbers, or does it just reprogram the computer to calculate it correctly?

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The TSBs are for controlling engine and transmission parameters (eTorque as well (if you have it)).

ToddH

Reaction score
2020 ram rebel 3.92, 2000miles with tonneau cover mostly highway 14.5mpg

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2020 ram rebel 3.92, 2000miles with tonneau cover mostly highway 14.5mpg

It’ll perk up a little after 5000 miles and then a little more after a good oil change, emphasis on good oil. I have 12,000 miles on my Laramie 4x4 with 3.92 and have averaged 16.1 70% city. I average 19.5 on the highway, even just towed a 2000lbs enclosed trailer 250 miles at 80mph on the cruise control and got 14.5

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What's with the Rebels?? I have a new 1500 Tradesman....5.7 hemi....3.92 rear....tow package....4x4....tonneau cover....with 2100 miles. Don't do much city driving....mostly two lane roads or highway......I use 89 octane. Last tank averaged 21.4 mpg. Wife and I took short trip a few weeks ago......averaged 20.9 mpg in hilly country. I love the mileage with this truck......had a 2003 Chevy 2500 HD with a 6.0l and 4.10 rear......it was a good truck but sucked the gas bigtime.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What's with the Rebels?? I have a new 1500 Tradesman....5.7 hemi....3.92 rear....tow package....4x4....tonneau cover....with 2100 miles. Don't do much city driving....mostly two lane roads or highway......I use 89 octane. Last tank averaged 21.4 mpg. Wife and I took short trip a few weeks ago......averaged 20.9 mpg in hilly country. I love the mileage with this truck......had a 2003 Chevy 2500 HD with a 6.0l and 4.10 rear......it was a good truck but sucked the gas bigtime.

2 main things jump out at me there.

1. You’re on 2-lanes which probably means you’re in that sweet spot of 55-65mph that will always net higher MPG and of course highway is better than city.

2. A tradesman is much lighter than a Rebel and of course the Rebel has larger and heavier tires.

Users who are viewing this thread