5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horrific Gas Mileage Hemi eTorque

Futta112

Reaction score
I’m so jealous. The only model remotely close to where I live that had the options I couldn’t live without (4x4, Laramie sport, 3.92, 33 gal tank, and no sunroof) was this one with eTorque. Wish I knew better.

There’s nothing wrong with my truck at all. Mileage is fine. Just hate the jerky decel and the lag after start stop.

They have a update for shifting that came out in February. Had mine done. Helped a ton on the jerky shifts.

Over 4400 miles now, mpg still sucks. Etourqe is a joke.

RamTruckMan

Reaction score
I’m so jealous. The only model remotely close to where I live that had the options I couldn’t live without (4x4, Laramie sport, 3.92, 33 gal tank, and no sunroof) was this one with eTorque. Wish I knew better.

There’s nothing wrong with my truck at all. Mileage is fine. Just hate the jerky decel and the lag after start stop.

Interesting. Did you have the TSBs done? I don't have any of that anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting. Did you have the TSBs done? I don't have any of that anymore

Yes. All three were done as RRTs on December 18th as it was on their lot. I bought it 3 weeks ago. They showed me the paperwork. Also did the recalls and the body mounts for the clunk.

RamTruckMan

Reaction score
Yes. All three were done as RRTs on December 18th as it was on their lot. I bought it 3 weeks ago. They showed me the paperwork. Also did the recalls and the body mounts for the clunk.

What's the body mounts and clunk? You can PM me if it's been gone over too many times

Jackham

Reaction score
I really worry as the tech advances but the mechanics may not. I am kind of a tech head and constantly amazed how my IT guys at work don't really understand the purpose and the how on their updates. So taking in a rig like this and have a mechanic "update" it and then showing me a print out that says it was accomplished does little for me. I have watched the Telephone and electric cooperatives in my Frontier areas struggle to hire people who know what they are doing. I don't have a solution here. But how do you know that update actually went through and is now functioning. To me the give a away is how one poster says it made night and day difference and the next guy says it did nothing.

RamTruckMan

Reaction score
I really worry as the tech advances but the mechanics may not. I am kind of a tech head and constantly amazed how my IT guys at work don't really understand the purpose and the how on their updates. So taking in a rig like this and have a mechanic "update" it and then showing me a print out that says it was accomplished does little for me. I have watched the Telephone and electric cooperatives in my Frontier areas struggle to hire people who know what they are doing. I don't have a solution here. But how do you know that update actually went through and is now functioning. To me the give a away is how one poster says it made night and day difference and the next guy says it did nothing.

I don't wanna be morbid here but I believe Boeing has done something similar at a great cost. I'm just worried that the quest to make more money will lead to even less basic safety. If you look at the recalls for this truck (loss brake pedal, fires, steering wheel can fall off...) Plus Hyundai's current engine explosion issue and not to mention takata airbags... I don't like where all of this is headed. I dunno if it's political or economic but where does it stop? OK. Sorry. Back to topic.

Jackham

Reaction score
I don't wanna be morbid here but I believe Boeing has done something similar at a great cost. I'm just worried that the quest to make more money will lead to even less basic safety. If you look at the recalls for this truck (loss brake pedal, fires, steering wheel can fall off...) Plus Hyundai's current engine explosion issue and not to mention takata airbags... I don't like where all of this is headed. I dunno if it's political or economic but where does it stop? OK. Sorry. Back to topic.
You know many years ago we began facing this problem with hospitals. As the tech increased like WIFI they kept assigning this to my hospital "engineer" who previously was known at Janitor. I was the first person to insist on a IT department in my state. At the time a lot of resistance. Now of course it is obvious. I think each dealership needs a ultra sharp IT person only. I can't believe they think they can not do this.

Shame on Boeing. Do we have a fix for our goof? yes. But if you don't check the box that costs 80,0000$ your pilots don't get it. You know 80,000$ is a massive amount of money in Ethiopia guys.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For what it’s worth here is proof that eco can stay on well above 70. Flat ground. No wind. I-95 in South Florida maybe 15’ above sea level today 86 degrees out. Watch the video for proof. My vehicle info is in my sig.

Attachments

• 891324B2-B7BF-440F-BA39-9EE9B6C7D574.jpeg
    891324B2-B7BF-440F-BA39-9EE9B6C7D574.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 59

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Apparently I can’t upload the video. Anyone know how I can?

Attachments

• 5C5E3AE3-585D-469A-BC19-8BCF209DE8C7.png
    5C5E3AE3-585D-469A-BC19-8BCF209DE8C7.png
    276.5 KB · Views: 42

Conch007

Reaction score
I've avg 15 the last 3 tanks but they are first 3 fill ups.. I read that this should get better over time. Ive changed or turned off all mpg related stuff off of the consel. I want to enjoy the truck and not worry about the gas mileage etc.. I just want to drive the truck.
I’ll post the updates when I get it back but they flashed my ecm and tranny they are saying I now get the milage on the window sticker

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll do what I can about the movie but I just finished a 215 mile mostly highway trip and from the gas station to the hotel I averaged 75 miles and hour and finished with 19.0 mpg.

pwhfmtx

Reaction score
Had my first all highway trip. Filled up and went straight from DFW to Austin in the evening with no traffic. Stayed to within a MPH or two of the speed limits on cruise. 14.2MPG over the 180 miles.

Hooked up our 6,000lb boat in Austin filled the Ram back up and drove back to DFW. 180 miles again at the speed limits so 70-75MPH 9.1 MPG. Not upset with the towing MPG and the air ride was incredibly stable for towing.

Disappointed in the MPG overall vs expectations.

I wish I did not have the 3.21. It hunts from 6th to 8th gears on the highway which I think is a factor with the mileage. I feel it should hang in higher gears longer and muscle through.

I had the updates done about 6 weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ram1500BH

Reaction score
Is the Hemi etorque the same as “5.7–Liter V8 HEMI® MDS VVT Engine”? Sorry for the noob question. This is all very new to me. TIA

RamTruckMan

Reaction score
Is the Hemi etorque the same as “5.7–Liter V8 HEMI MDS VVT Engine”? Sorry for the noob question. This is all very new to me. TIA

Nope. The hemi is a mds vvt all by its lonesome. Multi displacement system variable valve timing. So it shuts down 4 cylinders when able. eTorque is eTorque.

ram1500BH

Reaction score
Nope. The hemi is a mds vvt all by its lonesome. Multi displacement system variable valve timing. So it shuts down 4 cylinders when able. eTorque is eTorque.

Just did some searching around and I understand what each does now. Ty!

alow

Reaction score
I am averaging 17.8 over 7500 miles. Just got back from a trip to NC and did 22.1 on highway with 87 grade. Non Etorque Hemi 3.21 gears.

What speed did you normally travel at? Do you remember where you where for the revs?

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've noticed my lie -o-meter has been showing better economy numbers. Initially, I only saw 19 mpg on long trips and resetting the gauge at the start of them. About 3 weeks ago I towed my enclosed car trailer it car in it about 320 miles and it got down to 9.4 when I looked near the end of towing. I haven't bothered to reset it and I ran over to the coast to watch the Falcon Heavy launch pulling into the sub on the way back I looked at the gauge and it's now showing 19.7 mpg.

Currently I have about 8,400 miles on the truck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread