5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horrific Gas Mileage Hemi eTorque

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've noticed my lie -o-meter has been showing better economy numbers. Initially, I only saw 19 mpg on long trips and resting the gauge at the start of them. About 3 weeks ago I towed my enclosed car trailer it car in it about 320 miles and it got down to 9.4 he I looked near the end of towing. I haven't bothered to reset it and I ran over to the coast to watch the Falcon Heavy launch pulling into the sub on the way back I looked at the gauge and it's now showing 19.7 mpg.

I only have 1200 miles on mine but the last 2 fill ups were within 0.1 of the computer. I don’t now if I love that or hate it lol. I’m lifetime averaging 17.1 so far mixed driving with 3.92 and 4x4. That lifetime includes test drives, idles, and time in the body shop from a small fender bender.

On my 2016 F150 FX4 with the 3.5 eco boost my lie-o-meter was way high. Lifetime after 40,000 miles mixed was 17.8 but usual hand calcs were 1-1.5 lower. So I really feel like I’m getting the same or slightly better out of this truck and it isn’t even broken in yet.

RPeezy

Reaction score
I only have 1200 miles on mine but the last 2 fill ups were within 0.1 of the computer. I don’t now if I love that or hate it lol. I’m lifetime averaging 17.1 so far mixed driving with 3.92 and 4x4. That lifetime includes test drives, idles, and time in the body shop from a small fender bender.

Have you logged and calculated that yourself, or are you going off the computer? I don't have my Ram yet, so I can't say for certain if it is the same, but my Jeep does not track lifetime mileage. It only goes back a few hundred miles. I suspect Ram is the same. Maybe someone with more knowledge on that can chime in.

RamTruckMan

Reaction score
Have you logged and calculated that yourself, or are you going off the computer? I don't have my Ram yet, so I can't say for certain if it is the same, but my Jeep does not track lifetime mileage. It only goes back a few hundred miles. I suspect Ram is the same. Maybe someone with more knowledge on that can chime in.

I have lifetime mileage by never having reset tripometer "B" which is the same mileage as my odometer

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The computer is within .1 of what I calculated. The Ram does calculate mileage as long as you want it to. I have Trip 2 logging since new and Trip 1 I reset every fill up.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I reset my trips to keep track of miles. One I reset when I get my oil changed (I I hate those stickers stuck on my tint strip) and the other I actually use for trips. I don't use them to check mpg. I'll look at the gauge that is a stand-alone to see mpg when I'm curious every few weeks. No idea if that's ever been reset. Mpg is what it is. When I get a little below half tank, I fill it up. I've never tracked mpg to speak of on any sort of consistent basis.

Mikejonez22

Reaction score
Getting better

Attachments

• F83E1D32-6CFC-4496-B576-48E563BC310D.jpeg
    F83E1D32-6CFC-4496-B576-48E563BC310D.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 85

RPeezy

Reaction score
I tested my trip odometers to see if they actually did track over the lifetime of the vehicle, and they don't. I had about 40k miles on my Jeep before resetting my Trip B odometer. But what I noticed was that the trip odometer mirrored the "over time" mileage on the instant gauge. It could fluctuate 5mpg over a single tank, which would not be possible if it was actually calculating over 40k miles. Even if I sat idling for an entire tank of fuel, it would not change the lifetime average by even a single MPG over 40k miles.

Again, the Ram could be different, but I'm pretty sure Chrysler uses the same EVIC over their entire range of vehicles.

Reaction score
I have ~1100 miles on my '19 Limited 4x4 w/ 3.92, no bed cover, 5.7L non-e-torque. I drive pretty conservatively, mostly CITY miles, and fill w/ 91 oct. OEM 22" rims w/ OEM all season tires (not off road). Car computer says ~12.2 to 12.4 avg MPG. Yikes!

I have the same spec'd vehicle with the same miles and exactly the same MPG. What are you getting now?

Raminit

Reaction score
They have a update for shifting that came out in February. Had mine done. Helped a ton on the jerky shifts.

Over 4400 miles now, mpg still sucks. Etourqe is a joke.

50% City
40% Highway
10% Idle
Yeah I have to agree. I have 3200 miles and imho E torque is pretty awful I’m only getting 14.8 at best and I’m causing road rage I’m driving so slowly.

When I get on it a little and drive normally I’m 13.5, when I’m in a hurry and really get on it it’s 12.7 I haven’t touched the tripmeter in over a 1000 miles

RamTruckMan

Reaction score
50% City
40% Highway
10% Idle
Yeah I have to agree. I have 3200 miles and imho E torque is pretty awful I’m only getting 14.8 at best and I’m causing road rage I’m driving so slowly.

When I get on it a little and drive normally I’m 13.5, when I’m in a hurry and really get on it it’s 12.7 I haven’t touched the tripmeter in over a 1000 miles

My mileage went up to average 16.4 or .7 as the weather is getting warmer. I was down near your mpg when it was colder... I'm in southern New England

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It wouldn't shock me if some of this improvement is related to moving away from winter blend fuels.

upstateram

Reaction score
I've eased way up on the throttle recently. I had been getting 13 - 14.5mpg and now I'm getting around 16 - 17, probably 70% city/town/rural driving. 89 octane. On the highway I get about 21mpg. Pretty pleased after being initially annoyed. The light foot makes a big difference.

Punderwo

Reaction score
2019 Laramie
22" wheels
5.7 w/e-torque
3.21 gears
3500 miles (original oil)

My truck rarely enters eco mode. On flat road and 70mph, it won't activate mds at all. With a very slight decline it will but only momentarily. As a result, I'm only getting 18-19 on the highway at 1700-1800rpm and 70mph. Does anyone else notice their trucks not activating mds as well?

rhill

Reaction score
There is something wrong with this screen. There is no way you did 7500+ miles in 18 hours.
If his average speed was 421 mph, then he could have gone 7580 miles in 18 hrs. Maybe the max time is 99.9 hrs and then it goes back to zero. Doesn't make any sense otherwise.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is something wrong with this screen. There is no way you did 7500+ miles in 18 hours.
If his average speed was 421 mph, then he could have gone 7580 miles in 18 hrs. Maybe the max time is 99.9 hrs and then it goes back to zero. Doesn't make any sense otherwise.

I get 17.5 mph as his average speed

The screen is correct, however, it says 18 days, 0 hours, and 31 minutes, or approx 432.5 hours of drive time on that trip meter over 7579.8 miles...

RamTruckMan

Reaction score
2019 Laramie
22" wheels
5.7 w/e-torque
3.21 gears

My truck rarely enters eco mode. On flat road and 70mph, it won't activate mds at all. With a very slight decline it will but only momentarily. As a result, I'm only getting 18-19 on the highway at 1700-1800rpm and 70mph. Does anyone else notice their trucks not activating mds as well?
Quick Check.. Is show eco mode option on in your radio settings? It's called something different but you could figure it out

rhill

Reaction score

The screen is correct, however, it says 18 days, 0 hours, and 31 minutes, or approx 432.5 hours of drive time on that trip meter over 7579.8 miles...
Doesn't make sense it would be days and not hours. Also, that would be a very low average miles per hr with such a high mpg avearge. I do almost all town miles, and my average is usually 25 mph or more. My average mpg around 15.

rhill

Reaction score

I just went out to my truck and checked the trip A and B screens. If you leave your truck running, you can watch the last 2 numbers. They are in seconds and not minutes. The 2 middle digits are in minutes and not hours. The first two digits are in hrs. and not days. It has to reset to zero after 99 hrs, 59minutes, and 59 seconds.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 Laramie
22" wheels
5.7 w/e-torque
3.21 gears

I've been watching the eco mode come on and off intently as of late and I am always shaking my head in disappointment of how it lacks intuition of when I could be going on 4 cylinders as opposed to 8.

Users who are viewing this thread