5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horn when exiting

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Really annoying and embarrassing that my truck honks three times whenever I want to leave it running to keep it cool. Everyone is looking to see why I’m honking at them. I’ve had vehicles with aftermarket remote start for about 20 plus years, including my last truck (2020 Laramie with factory remote start) and not once has one of them ever honked at me when allowing it to stay running. It’s really irritating that there is no option to bypass it. I don’t understand why Ram won’t give us the option to disable it.
leave the fob in the truck problem solved. :)

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s a new feature for 2022, which other manufacturers have been doing for years. It’s just to remind you that the engine is still running, since it can’t determine if you are just leaving the vehicle for a few minutes, or if you parked it in a garage attached to a house and forgot to shut the vehicle off. There’s no way to disable via native truck settings, and I don’t see a way to disable it via AlfaOBD.
Easy fix would be to make you double click the remote start button before opening the door. This way the truck knows it’s on purpose and a responsible adult human being is leaving the truck running for a reason. All of my aftermarket remote start vehicles, over the pst 20 years, worked this way. Simply double click remote start button, take keys with you and set the alarm/door locks then walk away. Vehicle would stay running for about 15 minutes then shut off if not reactivated. Simple!

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lets just say that you leave the truck while it is running. You listen to the three horn honks, lock the door, and put the fob in your pocket. Does anyone know if there is a time limit to how long the truck will run? Will it run indefinitely or will it shut off like when you use the remote start function and do not hit the start button within 10 minutes?

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
leave the fob in the truck problem solved. :)
Can’t lock the doors with the fob inside, can you? Even if I could, I wouldn’t feel comfortable leaving a key in a vehicle.
For years, I've idled my vehicles with the key in the ignition, I don't see much of a difference.

My solution is to always roll a window down, at least enough that I can reach the lock. I'll usually go for the rear driver-side window, for some reason, I feel like it's slightly more security, even though the doors (should be) unlocked. As always, I would never leave the key in the ignition or in the car if I felt it wasn't a safe location.

Main reason for my window solution is because I've had vehicles phantom-lock on me, particularly Nissans and Mazda. My old Maxima had a sensor in the lock so when you lock the driver's door, all 4 doors lock. Real cute when you slam the door and the sensor trips, locking all 4 doors.

Wakbang

Reaction score
Basically I have the fob in my pocket, want to go grab mail or something fast and it will honk at me everytime. Truck in Park, engine running and I walk away
I have same issue. 2022 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For years, I've idled my vehicles with the key in the ignition, I don't see much of a difference.

My solution is to always roll a window down, at least enough that I can reach the lock. I'll usually go for the rear driver-side window, for some reason, I feel like it's slightly more security, even though the doors (should be) unlocked. As always, I would never leave the key in the ignition or in the car if I felt it wasn't a safe location.

Main reason for my window solution is because I've had vehicles phantom-lock on me, particularly Nissans and Mazda. My old Maxima had a sensor in the lock so when you lock the driver's door, all 4 doors lock. Real cute when you slam the door and the sensor trips, locking all 4 doors.

Because, say your wife has the keys in her purse for some reason. If she gets outa the truck. The truck will still run and drive, till you get some where and turn it off. Then you’re screwed.

This is no new thing with push to start vehicles, I’m surprised it took ram this long to catch on with the horn/beeping once the key leaves the cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I HATE this feature. Drives me nuts and is annoying to others around the area when I step out of the truck also.

I've had nearly 30 vehicles of all brands from 1988 to 2022 models and this is the first vehicle I've ever had that does this. My late model Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Jeeps, etc etc don't do this.

Are you guys sure the Tazer won't turn this stupid crap off? Edit: I just checked and it will. Thank God I have one already. Screenshot_20220825-212112_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Kevan0317

Reaction score
I HATE this feature. Drives me nuts and is annoying to others around the area when I step out of the truck also.

I've had nearly 30 vehicles of all brands from 1988 to 2022 models and this is the first vehicle I've ever had that does this. My late model Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Jeeps, etc etc don't do this.

Are you guys sure the Tazer won't turn this stupid crap off? Edit: I just checked and it will. Thank God I have one already. View attachment 137717
They are actually advising 2022 Ram owners to hold off. Uconnect5 is causing issues with their software. Unsure if it was ever resolved.

Also fair to note the Tazed unit must stay plugged in to the vehicle in order to disable the 3hornhonks. It’s not a true permanent disable but does seem to work perfectly on pre-22 Rams.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They are actually advising 2022 Ram owners to hold off. Uconnect5 is causing issues with their software. Unsure if it was ever resolved.

Also fair to note the Tazed unit must stay plugged in to the vehicle in order to disable the 3hornhonks. It’s not a true permanent disable but does seem to work perfectly on pre-22 Rams.
I can confirm that Kill3Honk works fine on my 2022. Along with a handful of other live features.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Can’t lock the doors with the fob inside, can you? Even if I could, I wouldn’t feeif l comfortable leaving a key in a vehicle.
You are leaving the truck running and wondering off so far and long that you need to lock it?

If you have to get the giant fob out anyway, just hit the remote start. No one can drive off with it this way either. You will have to go through all the hassle of poking the button when you get back in.

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are leaving the truck running and wondering off so far and long that you need to lock it?

If you have to get the giant fob out anyway, just hit the remote start. No one can drive off with it this way either. You will have to go through all the hassle of poking the button when you get back in.

I leave my truck running and locked when I go into the grocery store. I do this to keep the A/C going for my dog. You never know when a 10 minute trip will turn into a 30 minute wait at the butcher counter. 20220923_120525.jpg

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I guess I’ve just been completely spoiled with the aftermarket remote starts I’ve been using for over 20 years. Simply pull up to the convenience store on a hot day, hit a button on the remote, get out and arm the alarm (locks doors). Vehicle and AC keeps running. Return, disarm alarm (unlocks doors), get it, put in gear and drive away. Seamless. if someone where to break in, the alarm would go off. If they press the brake pedal to put it in gear, the vehicle dies and will not start without the key or remote. Simple, seamless, flawless. The horn doesn’t honk to remind me of the very thing I wanted to do.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I guess I’ve just been completely spoiled with the aftermarket remote starts I’ve been using for over 20 years. Simply pull up to the convenience store on a hot day, hit a button on the remote, get out and arm the alarm (locks doors). Vehicle and AC keeps running. Return, disarm alarm (unlocks doors), get it, put in gear and drive away. Seamless. if someone where to break in, the alarm would go off. If they press the brake pedal to put it in gear, the vehicle dies and will not start without the key or remote. Simple, seamless, flawless. The horn doesn’t honk to remind me of the very thing I wanted to do.
Is it not the same with the remote start on the Ram? I have not tested this? I assumed it was.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No. The horn honks at you three times which is very annoying. And you can drive off in the truck without the key fob. If the key fob is not detected, the truck should die as soon you press the brake pedal to put it into gear. This would eliminate the need for the horn honking.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No. The horn honks at you three times which is very annoying. And you can drive off in the truck without the key fob. If the key fob is not detected, the truck should die as soon you press the brake pedal to put it into gear. This would eliminate the need for the horn honking.
The horn honking doesn’t have anything to do with situations you are describing. The only reason they implemented it is to prevent carbon monoxide deaths. People not familiar with push button start technology have parked their vehicles in attached garages, forgot to shut the vehicle off when exiting, don’t realize the vehicle is still running (for whatever reason), and died in their house because of exhaust fumes. The only purpose for the horn honks is an audible reminder that if they’re not leaving the vehicle running on purpose, to go back and shut it off.
You are describing deliberate actions you have to take to keep an unattended vehicle running, and preventing someone from driving off with it, and that’s not what the horn honks are all about.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The horn honk is a safety tool to prevent accidental death or other serious actions. Think of it like having to step in the brake pedal to shift or opening the door while slowly moving(auto park).

It took one dumbass to ruin it for everyone else. That's why alot of safety features are installed on everyday items now.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Then it should be an option that can be enabled/disabled. That way if someone thinks they need to be saved from themselves, then they can turn on the option. The rest of us don’t need it. The backup sensors can be disabled, which would allow someone to back up over something or someone. Why not the horn honk?

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Then it should be an option that can be enabled/disabled. That way if someone thinks they need to be saved from themselves, then they can turn on the option. The rest of us don’t need it. The backup sensors can be disabled, which would allow someone to back up over something or someone. Why not the horn honk?

I agree :)

Users who are viewing this thread