5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help - Larger Tires sizes that fit on Stock Setups 285/60or65/R20's. without Rubbing?? Would love some advice and info

fact mechanic

Reaction score
Just had the Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/60/r20s installed. Liking them so far. A slight rub against a piece of plastic wheel liner in the front, but only in reverse and when doing a full lock turn. Not a big deal. A few pics.

How much space do you have between the tire and the UCA With those? You’re running stock rims, right?

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How much space do you have between the tire and the UCA With those? You’re running stock rims, right?
Well, I haven't looked to see how much clearance there is between the tires and the UCAs. I'm assuming it's sufficient because the only issue is the slight rubbing against a piece of the plastic wheel liner during full lock turns in reverse. My 4x4 truck is neither leveled or lifted.

And yes, the Grapplers are on stock Longhorn 20" inch rims. I think they look good on those wheels. Hope this info helps you.

Attachments

• Nitto Ridge Grappler 7.jpg
    Nitto Ridge Grappler 7.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 328

Midnight1988

Reaction score
I don't have a photo yet and sorry this took so long to post. I got a set of KO2 285/65/20 on and I have a stock set up at this point. I do not have any rubbing in Aero, Normal, Off-Road One, Off-Road Two. When I'm in Entry/Exit Mode I don't have rubbing when the tires are straight or partially turned. I never drive in this mode so I'm not too concerned but I will say it is close in this mode. I am considering doing a 2" level or 1/4"-1/2" spacer or different wheels with an more aggressive offset (current stock wheel offset is +19). For now, I don't have any rubbing at all in any mode I drive in. I also did a Hypertech Speedo Calibration.

SP97 are you able to post pictures of your truck in normal and Offroad Two? Just got my truck lifted with the 2” Mopar lift kit it’s probably pretty comparable.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I haven't looked to see how much clearance there is between the tires and the UCAs. I'm assuming it's sufficient because the only issue is the slight rubbing against a piece of the plastic wheel liner during full lock turns in reverse. My 4x4 truck is neither leveled or lifted.

And yes, the Grapplers are on stock Longhorn 20" inch rims. I think they look good on those wheels. Hope this info helps you.
THe 285/60R20 ridge grapplers are 33.7" in diameter and 11.5" wide. I run 305/55R20 nitto ridge grapplers on my stock suspension longhorn (no ORP) which are 33.23 diameter - 12.44" wide tires & my wheels are +18 and like BeauXL1200 only experience slight rubbing when reversing with full crank of steering wheel IMG_3421.jpg

kittyjo

Reaction score
Dumb question is the max load on the tire 3000lb per tire or all together? I want to get the Toyo open country at 2 for my boat which weight will be in the high 6k lb range...

Midnight1988

Reaction score

Attachments

• 736D40E6-D32B-442F-8C25-B86B6EA111BC.jpeg
    736D40E6-D32B-442F-8C25-B86B6EA111BC.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 950
  • C92AC4E1-41D6-4613-8C1A-E1C50A21C1F2.jpeg
    C92AC4E1-41D6-4613-8C1A-E1C50A21C1F2.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 908
  • 7B01AE6E-E608-472E-BCBB-081D5D9D0F26.jpeg
    7B01AE6E-E608-472E-BCBB-081D5D9D0F26.jpeg
    282.4 KB · Views: 1,147
  • 5CA6F275-67D1-49C0-85F2-D9A17AC6FA96.jpeg
    5CA6F275-67D1-49C0-85F2-D9A17AC6FA96.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 1,185

Midnight1988

Reaction score
Just had the Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/60/r20s installed. Liking them so far. A slight rub against a piece of plastic wheel liner in the front, but only in reverse and when doing a full lock turn. Not a big deal. A few pics.
Is your truck leveled or lifted?

OldManOwen

Reaction score
I don't have a photo yet and sorry this took so long to post. I got a set of KO2 285/65/20 on and I have a stock set up at this point. I do not have any rubbing in Aero, Normal, Off-Road One, Off-Road Two. When I'm in Entry/Exit Mode I don't have rubbing when the tires are straight or partially turned. I never drive in this mode so I'm not too concerned but I will say it is close in this mode. I am considering doing a 2" level or 1/4"-1/2" spacer or different wheels with an more aggressive offset (current stock wheel offset is +19). For now, I don't have any rubbing at all in any mode I drive in. I also did a Hypertech Speedo Calibration.
SP97 Can you please post pictures? These are the exact tires I am looking at and want to make sure they fit well! Thanks!

LaHaring

Reaction score
Hoping for some thoughts and advice. I have a Laramie with off road group so already 1" lifted. Wanting to use 285/65/20 with the factory wheels.

Will these tires work with this setup as is? Or should I add the Mopar 2" lift, which in my case would net an additional 1".

Also, no air suspension.

Thanks.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hoping for some thoughts and advice. I have a Laramie with off road group so already 1" lifted. Wanting to use 285/65/20 with the factory wheels.

Will these tires work with this setup as is? Or should I add the Mopar 2" lift, which in my case would net an additional 1".

Also, no air suspension.

Thanks.
I have Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/60s on my stock Longhorn 20" wheels and the only rubbing I get is on a full lock turn in reverse. But I know the 285/65s are about an inch taller than the 285/60s. But you do have an inch of lift over my stock height Longhorn. They might work on your truck without any rubbing and without lifting it higher. Let us know what you find out.

Combee1

Reaction score

Also, no air suspension.

Thanks.
025DE3CA-2D95-464A-A756-7A2880C4ACB6.jpeg
These are 285/65/20 Ridge Grapplers on stock 20s. I had a 2” level put on at the same time. Notice I have the ORG as well.

I get tire rub at full turn in reverse only. The rub is from the front of the wheel well liner, and can be easily corrected by tacking the liner. My “guess” after getting in there and looking, is that you could run these tires on the ORG without the level, but it would look “tight”.

Prior to the level, I measured front and back clearance from wheel center. Front was only 21.5” (at most) and rear was over 24”, so nearly a 3” rake. Your measurements may be different.

Hope that is helpful.

U

User_18177

View attachment 35630
These are 285/65/20 Ridge Grapplers on stock 20s. I had a 2” level put on at the same time. Notice I have the ORG as well.

I get tire rub at full turn in reverse only. The rub is from the front of the wheel well liner, and can be easily corrected by tacking the liner. My “guess” after getting in there and looking, is that you could run these tires on the ORG without the level, but it would look “tight”.

Prior to the level, I measured front and back clearance from wheel center. Front was only 21.5” (at most) and rear was over 24”, so nearly a 3” rake. Your measurements may be different.

Hope that is helpful.
Thank you Combee1, I cannot tell you how long I've looked to see how this would look. That's exactly what I'm getting (level and tires) and I am glad because I love the look. Your truck looks very nice. Did you get the 2" ReadyLift with UCA's? That's what I'm looking at. Just got quoted for leveling kit, labor and alignment for $825.

Combee1

Reaction score
Thank you Combee1, I cannot tell you how long I've looked to see how this would look. That's exactly what I'm getting (level and tires) and I am glad because I love the look. Your truck looks very nice. Did you get the 2" ReadyLift with UCA's? That's what I'm looking at. Just got quoted for leveling kit, labor and alignment for $825.

I’m really pleased with how it turned out. I did get the 2” ReadyLift with UCA’s. I know guys on here are doing 2.5” spacers without UCAs, and are reporting no problems. I drive my vehicles to 250K miles, and do some light off-roading, so I wanted too make sure there were no wear issues down the road. That quote seems right on what I paid.

I will say that with 2” lift in front, you will still have a 1” rake. I wanted that because I tow. Now when I put the boat on the hitch, the truck sits perfectly level.

Also, I read most guys on here are reporting as good as stock or better handling and ride with a level and the Ridge Grapplers. My experience is that the ride is a bit more “truck-like” now. Not quite as smooth, not quite as responsive in handling, and slightly more road noise. But it still rides better than any other truck I have owned or driven.

You will probably want to do a speedo calibration as well with the bigger tires. I used the Hypertech. It was $200 to have the dealer do it for me and I keep the unit. The speedo is dead on now after first attempt.

Good luck with your install. Post some pics when completed. When I get some free time, my next project is to replace the running boards with the power boards for better ground clearance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MichaelT

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie and want to put 33x12.5x20 however I want them to stick out a lot. It doesnt appear that way on your truck. How is it possible to get them to stick out wide? I see it on the road.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I originally got the wheels/tires for my 2014 F-150 King ranch and the sales rep from the site I purchased from advised me to get the wheels with a +18 offset so that I would have minimal clearance issues. Needless to say when I traded my ford in for the Ram I was bummed figuring my $4,000.00 wheels/tires invested was a bust but To my surprise the stock wheel offset for the 5th gen Ram is +19 and the bolt pattern is the same as the ford so fit like a glove.. Literally!
* To get the look you are in search of go with a wheel that has a negative offset between -18 to -24. Or you could throw on some wheel spacers but BE AWARE that the further out from the wheel well the more likely you will have clearance issues with tires when turning. My tires are 33.4" and I get little rub when turning my steering wheel full crank. But then again I do not have my truck leveled or lifted.

Here is a link to a website with -18 to -44 offset wheels

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They handle like my sports car.

They hug the road tight, and move like a car would.

No complaints from my end best tire I’ve run.

Bay Area, California- 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew 4x4, 5'7 Bed, Granite Chrystal, E locker, Black Interior, 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 axle, Level 2 Equip Group, 12in NAV, Advanced Safety Group, Pano Sun Roof, Bed Utility Group, Air suspension, Off Road Group, 20X9 +1 Fuel wheels, 275/65R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Deployable bed step, 33 gallon tank, Ram Box, Trailer break control, Mopar Slush Mats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have them as well and agree with Webbd30 word-for-word. I have about 60K miles on my ridge grapplers and I'm still riding like a rock star!

Seanbeck1

Reaction score
Can someone answer me the question whether 325/50/r22 tires will fit on stock 22” rims after 2” lift kit installed?

Jyates04

Reaction score
View attachment 35630

Hope that is helpful.
How close are they to your upper control arm? I felt behind my rim and bought 285/65-20’s and it doesn’t seem like much room back there for the bigger tire. I’m doing a 2” MotoFab level as well. No ORG

Users who are viewing this thread