5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hellwig? Hell, yeah!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As the saying goes, if isn't broken don't fix it, if it works well in the middle hole leave it....
That's why I went straight to the inside hole and never looked back. I like taking corners hard, feeling the g-forces, enjoying the truck and overall driving experience. No need to compromise in handling by using anything but the firmest setting. My only issue now it, it's too easy to start pushing the front end through the corners with the factory tires. But then again, a 4x4 truck with A/T tires and off-road suspension isn't really meant for corner carving.

FirstRam2020

Reaction score
Just ordered mine for $196 from AAFES, thanks to those that reminded me that they were on there, save a few bucks.

You ordered the sway bar from aafes?

SkeeterJackson

Reaction score
Does anyone know why this thing is so much better than stock?? Just curious as to way this works way better than the stock sway bar. They look pretty similar to me.

I definitely plan on getting one but want to get my lift in first because I think I may need to get an extension or something. The body roll on my 21 bighorn is ridiculous. I hate it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know why this thing is so much better than stock?? Just curious as to way this works way better than the stock sway bar. They look pretty similar to me.

I definitely plan on getting one but want to get my lift in first because I think I may need to get an extension or something. The body roll on my 21 bighorn is ridiculous. I hate it.
It's more rigid and doesn't flex as much as the stock one

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

someone posted earlier that the stock one is hollow.

1awesomelaw

Reaction score

You put on this part and your body roll goes away drastically.
The bars are Hollow, the replacement bar isn't.

Make sure to use good upper control arms light Rough Country , the factory control arms are plastic with a metal cap on top.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think people are focusing too much on hollow vs non-hollow. The mopar hollow bar was designed with the amount of flex that it has. If they (or any manufacturer) wanted to make a hollow bar have less flex, they can do that through various methods (not necessary to cover those methods here). On the same side of the coin, a solid bar can have the same flex as a hollow depending on how it's designed. The key here between the hellwig and the mopar are the leverage arms.

You can easily see the differences in the leverage arms a couple posts above in IvoryHemi's post. While it's not exact, putting the end links in the outer hole provides a very similar lb/in rating between the hellwig and mopar. As you move the end links inward on the hellwig, you shorten the leverage arm and increase the effective lb/in rating, making resistance to sway greater. It's really as simple as that.

Of course, the hellwig could be a combination of solid + shorter leverage arms, but they feel so close when the hellwig is in the outer hole that I suspect the rating is very similar. I'd like to see the lb/in rating of both when the endlink is in the outer hole of the hellwig. I'm guessing someone will need to contact hellwig for that info.

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
I think people are focusing too much on hollow vs non-hollow. The mopar hollow bar was designed with the amount of flex that it has. If they (or any manufacturer) wanted to make a hollow bar have less flex, they can do that through various methods (not necessary to cover those methods here). On the same side of the coin, a solid bar can have the same flex as a hollow depending on how it's designed. The key here between the hellwig and the mopar are the leverage arms.

You can easily see the differences in the leverage arms a couple posts above in IvoryHemi's post. While it's not exact, putting the end links in the outer hole provides a very similar lb/in rating between the hellwig and mopar. As you move the end links inward on the hellwig, you shorten the leverage arm and increase the effective lb/in rating, making resistance to sway greater. It's really as simple as that.

Of course, the hellwig could be a combination of solid + shorter leverage arms, but they feel so close when the hellwig is in the outer hole that I suspect the rating is very similar. I'd like to see the lb/in rating of both when the endlink is in the outer hole of the hellwig. I'm guessing someone will need to contact hellwig for that info.

Thank you for the detailed explanation .

RBRK

Reaction score
Does the air suspension trucks use the same Hellwig bar, even though the stock bars are different from what I’ve read?

NukeLife205

Reaction score
😂. Oh man. It’s funny how much the different forums are so much alike.
I’m a newbie here, but a regular on Expeditionforum.com.
One of the most recommended upgrades I suggest for new Expedition owners is to throw their stock sway bars as far as they physically can.

The new Expy is an amazing machine but it wallows and bobbleheads back and forth and back and forth and back…. you get the picture. Unfortunately it’s something you only notice once you’ve owned it for a few weeks.

There are many threads on Expedition forum discussing the improved performance with Hellwig sway bars. I wouldn’t even think twice. Just do it. I put front and rear Hellwigs on my machine with Moog endlinks. Your back seat passengers especially will appreciate not swaying back and forth (no carsickness).

Especially for those of you with lifted trucks, and larger tires ( more sidewall). It’s a nice performance upgrade for not much money. Improves towing stability also.
However, it does sacrifice some articulation, if rock crawling is your thing.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does the air suspension trucks use the same Hellwig bar, even though the stock bars are different from what I’ve read?
Correct, Hellwig only makes one sway bar, which fits both suspension types despite the factory bars being different sizes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online