5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hellwig? Hell, yeah!

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just added the Hellwig rear sway bar. Thanks to everyone who recommended it (and the links to the AAFES store). I used the Hellwig heavy duty end-links.

I set the end-links to the middle hole in the sway bar. I've just driven about 20 minutes...and am amazed at the difference. What a phenomenal, and easy, upgrade.

Nits: The kit is a generic kit. I re-used my upper end-link bolt (had to, since there's a welded nut for it to thread into, metric, different than the SAE threaded hardware), and had to forego the inner washer. I figured the large flat mounting surface would suffice. Otherwise, the OEM mounting bolt was not quite long enough to fully seat in the captured nut. This meant that I had to delete the washer on the lower end-link mount on the side against the sway bar. The washers are about 1/8" thick and the end-link faces need to be aligned to have a flush fit. (I used the washer on the outside.)

Also, the sway-bar bushings need the Hellwig mounts. I'd wanted to re-use the OEM, but they're different sizes. The problem with the Hellwig bracket is the "C" section is too close to the mounting holes. I used the allen-head bolts that came with the kit, but had to delete the washers. There was NO WAY a washer was going to fit. It's a lateral clearance issue: the washer diameter is too great and interferes with the beginning of the curved surface. It binds, hard, while there's still a 1/2" of bolt thread showing. No bueno.

So, I used a washerless allen bolt (in the kit) for each bracket's lower mount, and the OEM 15mm hex bolt for the upper mount (with captured washer still attached). (OEM bushing/bracket combo is too large (!?!?) for the Hellwig bar. Yeah, too large.)

These are minor items, just wanted to share what I had to do to get this generic kit to mount up to my truck.

The improvement is just outstanding.

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
So describe a little of what the difference is. R/N my Bighorn sways like a cruise ship in a turn. Does this help tighten up the feel all over or just on the rear?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So describe a little of what the difference is. R/N my Bighorn sways like a cruise ship in a turn. Does this help tighten up the feel all over or just on the rear?

Tightens up the entire vehicle. As others have said, it feels planted. Far less body roll.

Turns are solid. It is a much more stable ride without making it harsher. The soft ride is still there, it's just a lot more "solid".

If I could do it again? I'd get the longer end-links. They come in two sizes: 8-11" and 11-14". (I think.) The shorter ones are fine, but I'm not sure if I'll have enough play in them when I lift the truck. I measured the existing ones, and the 8-11" covered their length. If I lift it, I may need to go up to the next size. (Not sure...gotta get a tape measure and crawl back under the truck.)

If you're even halfway considering this, do it.

Start to finish, it took about an hour of work. That includes pressing in the bushings and sleeves and cleaning my tools. 6 bolts come out, 8 bolts go in.

Jokersreven9e

Reaction score
Is there a reason to go with Hellwig end links versus OEM? I assume hellwig’s are beefier, but is there a handling benefit?

My bar arrives tomorrow.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a reason to go with Hellwig end links versus OEM? I assume hellwig’s are beefier, but is there a handling benefit?

My bar arrives tomorrow.
Most of us with non-lifted trucks are using the stock end links. The Hellwig makes a surprising difference for such a simple little bar.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stock end-links are probably fine. ;)

They are about 1/4" in diameter, have an upper rubber bushing and a lower ball joint. (16mm nuts, fwiw.)

The Hellwig adjustable end-links have a male and female end. The male end threads into the female end, providing the adjustability. Male end is ~1/2" in diameter. Do you need the 4x strength that provides? Probably not. The upper and lower ends are about 1" diameter with poly bushings (or that's what they seem like to me). No ball joint, no rubber. That may provide more stiffness, as well.

Honestly, just looking at it parked in my driveway, it's obvious how much better planted it is. :) :)

I added the Hellwig ones because I thought it'd make my truck safer. More mass means more survivability in an impact. ;)

Georgf

Reaction score
I see on the Hellwig site that the rear sway bar is the same for the 4th and 5th gen Ram. Is it really so? The part number is 7709?

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It makes a huge difference. I had it on the softest setting and liked it a lot. Finally went up to the middle setting and it's even better. When I first installed I put it on the firmest setting and felt like it was too stiff. That was before I leveled it though. Might try it again soon.

river rat

Reaction score
If you want to "simulate" the effect, throw about 50lbs in each back corner of the bed and drive. You'll notice how much more "planted" the truck feels.

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
Tightens up the entire vehicle. As others have said, it feels planted. Far less body roll.

Turns are solid. It is a much more stable ride without making it harsher. The soft ride is still there, it's just a lot more "solid".

If I could do it again? I'd get the longer end-links. They come in two sizes: 8-11" and 11-14". (I think.) The shorter ones are fine, but I'm not sure if I'll have enough play in them when I lift the truck. I measured the existing ones, and the 8-11" covered their length. If I lift it, I may need to go up to the next size. (Not sure...gotta get a tape measure and crawl back under the truck.)

If you're even halfway considering this, do it.

Start to finish, it took about an hour of work. That includes pressing in the bushings and sleeves and cleaning my tools. 6 bolts come out, 8 bolts go in.
Sold. Thank you

Jack.

Reaction score
I just added the Hellwig rear sway bar. Thanks to everyone who recommended it (and the links to the AAFES store). I used the Hellwig heavy duty end-links.

I set the end-links to the middle hole in the sway bar. I've just driven about 20 minutes...and am amazed at the difference. What a phenomenal, and easy, upgrade.

Nits: The kit is a generic kit. I re-used my upper end-link bolt (had to, since there's a welded nut for it to thread into, metric, different than the SAE threaded hardware), and had to forego the inner washer. I figured the large flat mounting surface would suffice. Otherwise, the OEM mounting bolt was not quite long enough to fully seat in the captured nut. This meant that I had to delete the washer on the lower end-link mount on the side against the sway bar. The washers are about 1/8" thick and the end-link faces need to be aligned to have a flush fit. (I used the washer on the outside.)

Also, the sway-bar bushings need the Hellwig mounts. I'd wanted to re-use the OEM, but they're different sizes. The problem with the Hellwig bracket is the "C" section is too close to the mounting holes. I used the allen-head bolts that came with the kit, but had to delete the washers. There was NO WAY a washer was going to fit. It's a lateral clearance issue: the washer diameter is too great and interferes with the beginning of the curved surface. It binds, hard, while there's still a 1/2" of bolt thread showing. No bueno.

So, I used a washerless allen bolt (in the kit) for each bracket's lower mount, and the OEM 15mm hex bolt for the upper mount (with captured washer still attached). (OEM bushing/bracket combo is too large (!?!?) for the Hellwig bar. Yeah, too large.)

These are minor items, just wanted to share what I had to do to get this generic kit to mount up to my truck.

Would this work with 3.92 gears sport edition laramie? o.o i was looking to go with a sway bar and maybe level the truck with some Bilstein as well.

Also do you know if i would have to buy a different sway bar if i decide to level it via the Bilstein or can i just make the adjustment to the hellwig at a later date whenever i decide to level it.

also link please :X

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would this work with 3.92 gears sport edition laramie? o.o i was looking to go with a sway bar and maybe level the truck with some Bilstein as well.

Also do you know if i would have to buy a different sway bar if i decide to level it via the Bilstein or can i just make the adjustment to the hellwig at a later date whenever i decide to level it.

also link please :X
Yes works on the DT model ram and I think previous year model too. No need to worry about anything different if you level. Mine is level and the stock sway bar end links work fine.

Not sure where's the best place to buy. I got mine off Amazon.

Jack.

Reaction score
Yes works on the DT model ram and I think previous year model too. No need to worry about anything different if you level. Mine is level and the stock sway bar end links work fine.

Not sure where's the best place to buy. I got mine off Amazon.
Dang, i guess i will pick up some later today, btw i saw in your future mods youre looking to add a blind spot monitoring system.. i didnt think that was possible if you didnt get it via stock. Can you link me some product that you was looking at? o.o

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dang, i guess i will pick up some later today, btw i saw in your future mods youre looking to add a blind spot monitoring system.. i didnt think that was possible if you didnt get it via stock. Can you link me some product that you was looking at? o.o
Apparently it's possible. I'll send you a link to the thread I've been following. I'm about to start ordering my parts in a few weeks.

Jack.

Reaction score
Apparently it's possible. I'll send you a link to the thread I've been following. I'm about to start ordering my parts in a few weeks.
damn that would be lovely, thank you!

Jack.

Reaction score

Is the part you purchase the 7709? Will pull the trigger tonight if thats the case and put it together this weekend when i put on the falken tires haha

Users who are viewing this thread