5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hellwig? Hell, yeah!

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
so Hellwig is already installed?

You didn’t tow the camper with the stock sway bar at all?
Yes its installed. I can't remember if I had it stock when I went to the scales. That was my only other time towing it. If I did have the Hellwig in, it was in the softest setting.

Drove it without the trailer today on some curvy mountain roads. It was definitely much better at staying level through the twisties. I actually worried about my tires losing grip since I was cornering faster than I felt comfortable with the stock sway bar, though I never actually heard them squeal.

Edit: I will say that I thought the no-trailer ride was a little harsher in the firmest setting but may use it when towing the camper and go to medium for everyday driving.

Last edited:

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
We've been trying out our 2021 Laramie with the Hellwig 7709 sway bar installed. Here's our impressions:
  • There is a noticeable improvement. I had worried that there would no difference at all. That's not the case. The Hellwig sway bar does in fact work. We have considerably less sway in the rear end of the truck.
  • The Hellwig sway bar does not appear to affect the ride quality of the truck. Our Laramie is just as smooth as it was with the factory sway bar. And it actually feels better due to the improved handling.
  • Handling is noticeably better. My sweetie had been driving a Charger Scat Pack and my daily driver is a Charger Daytona. We are used to having vehicle that handle well, especially at high speed. The Hellwig does not turn our Ram 1500 into a high-end Charger. But it does allow the truck to handle MUCH better at high speed. There is no more dipping and swaying when taking curves fast. I'm actually very impressed at this. And I've never had a truck that handles this well.
I have the links installed in the middle holes on the sway bar. I may try the holes closest to the axle just to see how the truck feels with the sway bar in the tightest position. But then again, it feels so good now, I may just leave it where it is.

Overall, I'm very happy with this purchase. Considering I got the Hellwig sway bar for right at $200 from AFFES, it was a true bargain. Even at $300, it is going to be worth it. This is likely a great add-on for almost any 5th Gen Ram 1500.

Last edited:

brenan00

Reaction score
We've been trying out our 2021 Laramie with the Hellwig 7709 sway bar installed. Here's what our impressions:
  • There is a noticeable improvement. I had worried that there would no difference at all. That's not the case. The Hellwig sway bar does in fact work. We have considerably less sway in the rear end of the truck.
  • The Hellwig sway bar does not appear to affect the ride quality of the truck. Our Laramie is just as smooth as it was with the factory sway bar. And it actually feels better due to the improved handling.
  • Handling is noticeably better. My sweetie had been driven a Charger Scat Pack and my daily driver is a Charger Daytona. We are used to having vehicle that handle well, especially at high speed. The Hellwig does not turn our Ram 1500 into a high-end Charger. But it does allow the truck to handle MUCH better at high speed. There is no more dipping and swaying when taking curves fast. I'm actually very impressed at this. And I've never had a truck that handles this well.
I have the links installed in the middle holes on the sway bar. I may try the holes closest to the axle just to see how the truck feels with the sway bar in the tightest position. But then again, it feels so good now, I may just leave it where it is.

Overall, I'm very happy with this purchase. Considering I got the Hellwig sway bar for right at $200 from AFFES, it was a true bargain. Even at $300, it is going to be worth it. This is likely a great add-on for almost any 5th Gen Ram 1500.
Exactly, the best 200 bucks to make a 65k truck, so much better.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We've been trying out our 2021 Laramie with the Hellwig 7709 sway bar installed. Here's what our impressions:
  • Handling is noticeably better. My sweetie had been driven a Charger Scat Pack and my daily driver is a Charger Daytona. We are used to having vehicle that handle well, especially at high speed. The Hellwig does not turn our Ram 1500 into a high-end Charger. But it does allow the truck to handle MUCH better at high speed. There is no more dipping and swaying when taking curves fast. I'm actually very impressed at this. And I've never had a truck that handles this well.

Exactly!!!!

It's an amazing upgrade in handling (with no drawbacks that I've found...yet) for a low price, and a few minutes of work.

Gotta get a club going. ;)

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is there any data to back up all of your seat-of-the-pants evaluations of the Hellwig sway bar? Something like a slalom skidpad test? I don't want come off like I'm accusing anyone of exaggeration or expectation bias, but I've fallen victim to hyped up mods that ended up being a big disappointment in the past.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there any data to back up all of your seat-of-the-pants evaluations of the Hellwig sway bar? Something like a slalom skidpad test? I don't want come off like I'm accusing anyone of exaggeration or expectation bias, but I've fallen victim to hyped up mods that ended up being a big disappointment in the past.
Maybe not an unbiased source but here's a comparison. (Edit: I see they added bags and a front bar also.)

brenan00

Reaction score
It’s that good, I felt the difference going down the drive way. I do not have any data but everybody that does it says the same thing. My wife drove it for the second time today to work, “I was able to stay in the middle of the lane”, that’s enough scientific evidence for me.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Maybe not an unbiased source but here's a comparison. (Edit: I see they added bags and a front bar also.)

Not a bad video, but it would be nice if they had a view of the speedometer or equipment to measure lateral acceleration, lean, etc.

Here's another video they posted without a load. It's pretty easy to see the difference in body roll, so it must be even more pronounced from the inside of the truck.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is the second thread that praises the Hellwig, and it already has 152 replies. The original thread had over 800, almost all glowing reviews.

I haven’t had my truck on a skidpad, but I can tell you that this upgrade was necessary for me to comfortably drive on 80 mph freeways in crosswinds, especially with the air suspension. It now feels as planted as HD trucks I’ve driven in the past.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really can tell a difference. On the firmest setting, I feel like the truck does have a rougher ride, but not bad. I haven't been able to use the center hole yet since mine was misshapen from the factory and I haven't had a chance to bore it out.

My only real "before/after" comparison is a specific curve on Highway 321 as you go into Boone, NC. It's was hard to take it at the posted speed limit, but now (on the firmest setting for the moment) the truck leans far less and is much more comfortable going around the curve at speed (though it can't hold the dogs in place in the back seat.) I guess the circular interstate off-ramps would be a good place for a comparison test.

Like many others have said, it's not turning the truck into a sports car, but it is an effective and easy-to-install upgrade.

Last edited:

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
We've been trying out our 2021 Laramie with the Hellwig 7709 sway bar installed. Here's our impressions:
  • Handling is noticeably better. My sweetie had been driving a Charger Scat Pack and my daily driver is a Charger Daytona. We are used to having vehicle that handle well, especially at high speed. The Hellwig does not turn our Ram 1500 into a high-end Charger. But it does allow the truck to handle MUCH better at high speed. There is no more dipping and swaying when taking curves fast. I'm actually very impressed at this. And I've never had a truck that handles this well.

As the saying goes, if isn't broken don't fix it, if it works well in the middle hole leave it....

Buffchief52

Reaction score
I just might have to do this

I just installed mine yesterday on my 2020 Laramie 4x4 quad cab. Super easy install if you have some basic metric hand tools, no need to jack the truck either. Took me less than an hour. It’s like driving a whole new truck when you take your first corner at speed! From a truck that felt like mush body rolling in the corners to just plain tracks flat with no body roll = fun to drive now! Have mine set on middle hole.
Well worth the money in my opinion! Do it!

(Got mine from AAFES, you must be a veteran or military member/DoD civilian to shop there)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread