5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard-wire Dash Cam Install

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I can pop the cover off but how do you separate the two pieces? It doesn't pull away from the windshield far enough for me to tell how the two pieces are attached. I don't want to force anything and risk breaking things.
PM me and I'll give you my cell so we can talk through it

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
This has been a great thread, I read through a good amount, but not all, just being honest. So I think I'm set on getting the Blackvue dr750x plus. This will be my first dash cam and I had a few questions for the more experienced here. Sorry if these were covered.

1) I have Ceramic film on my windshield so I don't want to stick the front camera to it. I'm thinking of using a mirror mount or attaching the camera to the plastic cover behind the mirror. Any thoughts?

2) It can easily get over 110* where I live. Will the 750x plus hold up?

3) I live in a pretty good area, but I'm still wondering if dash cams are a target for thieves. For those of you who have had them long term have you had issues leaving them in for parking mode or is it better to pull them?

Thanks in advance!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
This has been a great thread, I read through a good amount, but not all, just being honest. So I think I'm set on getting the Blackvue dr750x plus. This will be my first dash cam and I had a few questions for the more experienced here. Sorry if these were covered.

1) I have Ceramic film on my windshield so I don't want to stick the front camera to it. I'm thinking of using a mirror mount or attaching the camera to the plastic cover behind the mirror. Any thoughts?

2) It can easily get over 110* where I live. Will the 750x plus hold up?

3) I live in a pretty good area, but I'm still wondering if dash cams are a target for thieves. For those of you who have had them long term have you had issues leaving them in for parking mode or is it better to pull them?

Thanks in advance!
My thoughts:

1. The Blackvue DR750X-Plus is truly Blackvue's best dash cam ever. It uses the latest Sony STARVIS sensor that even outperforms the DR900
2. Look into the Blendmount and attach it to your rear view mirror stalk...great option https://blendmount.com/aluminum-das...900s-dr750x-dr750s-bbv-2000r-standard-series/
3. You should have no issues with heat on the latest Blackvue models. Heat was an issue many years ago on a specific model. I live in FL and it gets VERY hot here too and I have had zero issues with the DR750 line of cameras and I have installed many
4. No one is stealing dash cameras. There is an LED that flashes when in Parking Mode that can be turned off through the app to draw less attention to the camera. With your ceramic film, and the natural tint built into the front windshield, it will be very difficult to see anyway from the outside looking in
5. You most certainly want to use parking mode. Set the camera for 12.0 or 12.5V and you will be just fine. Most all accidents happen in parking lots. I had a DR750S in my 2019 Limited and it sat at the airport for a week at a time and never an issue with starting my truck upon return
6. You may want to look into replacing your truck battery with a H8 series since they will fit in the RAM if you plan to install additional electronics for greater peace of mind, but not truly necessary

If you have any additional questions, I am a dash cam and vehicle electronics expert and happy to talk via cell if you want to PM me.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Happy to help Mike and glad we got the issue resolved. You will enjoy that new Blackvue...if you have any questions, feel free to call my cell any time my friend!
I really appreciate your help Larry. No way I would have pried on the cover that much if I didn't have your reassurance that I wouldn't break anything LOL. It's people like you who make forums like this a great place to learn and share knowledge!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I really appreciate your help Larry. No way I would have pried on the cover that much if I didn't have your reassurance that I wouldn't break anything LOL. It's people like you who make forums like this a great place to learn and share knowledge!
Any time my friend and this forum has been great for us all to learn from one another.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
My thoughts:

1. The Blackvue DR750X-Plus is truly Blackvue's best dash cam ever. It uses the latest Sony STARVIS sensor that even outperforms the DR900
2. Look into the Blendmount and attach it to your rear view mirror stalk...great option https://blendmount.com/aluminum-das...900s-dr750x-dr750s-bbv-2000r-standard-series/
3. You should have no issues with heat on the latest Blackvue models. Heat was an issue many years ago on a specific model. I live in FL and it gets VERY hot here too and I have had zero issues with the DR750 line of cameras and I have installed many
4. No one is stealing dash cameras. There is an LED that flashes when in Parking Mode that can be turned off through the app to draw less attention to the camera. With your ceramic film, and the natural tint built into the front windshield, it will be very difficult to see anyway from the outside looking in
5. You most certainly want to use parking mode. Set the camera for 12.0 or 12.5V and you will be just fine. Most all accidents happen in parking lots. I had a DR750S in my 2019 Limited and it sat at the airport for a week at a time and never an issue with starting my truck upon return
6. You may want to look into replacing your truck battery with a H8 series since they will fit in the RAM if you plan to install additional electronics for greater peace of mind, but not truly necessary

If you have any additional questions, I am a dash cam and vehicle electronics expert and happy to talk via cell if you want to PM me.
Great info, thank you so much for the reply!

Chuck19

Reaction score
Wow I have been researching like crazy about dash cams and after I picked one I thought why haven’t I looked on 5th gen to see what other ram owners are doing! Well I decided to go with the Black Vue 750x Plus before I found this thread but it’s nice to see some confirmation from my fellow ram owners! The question I have is when mounting how or where should I mount if I already have a blend mount for my Unidentifiable radar detecto? I don’t want to stick to the windshield because I have ceramic tint so any ideas, or recommendations?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Wow I have been researching like crazy about dash cams and after I picked one I thought why haven’t I looked on 5th gen to see what other ram owners are doing! Well I decided to go with the Black Vue 750x Plus before I found this thread but it’s nice to see some confirmation from my fellow ram owners! The question I have is when mounting how or where should I mount if I already have a blend mount for my Unidentifiable radar detecto? I don’t want to stick to the windshield because I have ceramic tint so any ideas, or recommendations?
Why the concern to stick it to the tinted windshield? Really not that big a deal and will have no impact on your windshield or tint. I have a Blendmount with a Uniden R7 and my DR750X is attached to my windshield. No other good options unless you want to change the head on the Blendmount to attach your dash cam and relocate your unidentifiable radar detector to the windshield.

Chuck19

Reaction score
Why the concern to stick it to the tinted windshield? Really not that big a deal and will have no impact on your windshield or tint. I have a Blendmount with a Uniden R7 and my DR750X is attached to my windshield. No other good options unless you want to change the head on the Blendmount to attach your dash cam and relocate your unidentifiable radar detector to the windshield.
Just thought that if I ever removed the cam that’s attached with the 3m backing it might damage the ceramic tint.I already have the Uniden R7 on a blend mount so I guess windshield it is.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
Just thought that if I ever removed the cam that’s attached with the 3m backing it might damage the ceramic tint.I already have the Uniden R7 on a blend mount so I guess windshield it is.
Let me know how that goes. I'm still debating how I will mount my camera.

Lungs414

Reaction score
So much great info on this thread. I have been reading it for a few days and finally purchased Thinkware U1000 dual setup with radar. Can someone help me out with what fuse tap/taps to buy? And which fuse #'s to use. Also any suggestions for running the wire to the back camera with a sunroof. I have seen different brackets instead of sticking it to the rear window, any recommendations would be helpful.
It is scheduled for delivery tomorrow and I want to have all the needed parts in hand to install in one shot.
I kinda got turned around by reading so much on the thread, and figured it wouldn't hurt to ask directly for help in post.

Thanks

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So much great info on this thread. I have been reading it for a few days and finally purchased Thinkware U1000 dual setup with radar. Can someone help me out with what fuse tap/taps to buy? And which fuse #'s to use. Also any suggestions for running the wire to the back camera with a sunroof. I have seen different brackets instead of sticking it to the rear window, any recommendations would be helpful.
It is scheduled for delivery tomorrow and I want to have all the needed parts in hand to install in one shot.
I kinda got turned around by reading so much on the thread, and figured it wouldn't hurt to ask directly for help in post.

Thanks
PM me and I’ll share my cell and tell you all you ever wanted to know my friend.

sholtz21

Reaction score
HI all, this has been on my list as well. I really appreciate the work that has gone into this. I've read through most of the thread, but there's so much info and it got my head spinning a little. I just need to confirm a couple things, before I move forward.
I need the following,
-Dash cam (still deciding), possibly front and rear.
-hardware wire kit for said cam
-Micro fuse taps.

I have no need or interest for parking mode, I just need the cam(s) to turn on and off with the ignition. so I just need to wire it to the F66 slot, correct?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
HI all, this has been on my list as well. I really appreciate the work that has gone into this. I've read through most of the thread, but there's so much info and it got my head spinning a little. I just need to confirm a couple things, before I move forward.
I need the following,
-Dash cam (still deciding), possibly front and rear.
-hardware wire kit for said cam
-Micro fuse taps.

I have no need or interest for parking mode, I just need the cam(s) to turn on and off with the ignition. so I just need to wire it to the F66 slot, correct?
Feel free to PM me and we can chat via phone. If you just want quick answers...here they are:

1. Get a Blackvue DR750X-Plus 2CH
2. Buy a hardwire kit
3. Buy Micro2 fuse taps with 5A fuses off Amazon
4. Highly recommend parking mode as most accidents happened while parked (the DR750X has the parking mode voltage regulator built-in so no accessories needed)
5. F66 is IGNITION power & F33 is BATTERY

Buy this SD card regardless of which dash cam you buy:

sholtz21

Reaction score
Feel free to PM me and we can chat via phone. If you just want quick answers...here they are:

1. Get a Blackvue DR750X-Plus 2CH
2. Buy a hardwire kit
3. Buy Micro2 fuse taps with 5A fuses off Amazon
4. Highly recommend parking mode as most accidents happened while parked (the DR750X has the parking mode voltage regulator built-in so no accessories needed)
5. F66 is IGNITION power & F33 is BATTERY

Buy this SD card regardless of which dash cam you buy:

Thanks for info, I'll look into that cam.
as far as #4 goes, so i just have to set the threshold voltage in the software I assume?

I had a dash cam in my old Rav4, that i had every intention of hardwiring.
This was the SD card I still have from it. but I will likely replace it with the higher cap.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for info, I'll look into that cam.
as far as #4 goes, so i just have to set the threshold voltage in the software I assume?

I had a dash cam in my old Rav4, that i had every intention of hardwiring.
This was the SD card I still have from it. but I will likely replace it with the higher cap.
Yes...you select the exact voltage level you want your cut-off to be in the app. I have had this in a 2019 and a 2021 without a single issue. A dashcam does not draw enough power in parking mode to create an issue where your truck won't start. Again, happy to chat if you want to.

Lungs414

Reaction score
Yes...you select the exact voltage level you want your cut-off to be in the app. I have had this in a 2019 and a 2021 without a single issue. A dashcam does not draw enough power in parking mode to create an issue where your truck won't start. Again, happy to chat if you want to.
Hey Larry . Thanks again for the time yesterday. You are a true gift of this forum. I have a question , I received my Thinkware U1000 dual camera but don't want to even open it. I am probably sending it back. I was looking at the one you recommended and it out of stock on Thedashcamstore. The other site has it but while on the dashcam store site it says it has been replaced by a new one.

BlackVue DR900X-2CH-PLUS Dual Lens 4K. Its about $100 but the sales guy said it has 4K and is the newest model, coming out around 9/20.​

What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread