5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard-wire Dash Cam Install

WReckeR

Reaction score
You are welcome my friend. You made me proud :) You worried too much, the headliner would have been a great option...there is nothing up there you can mess up. I cut a notch in my mirror housing as did you so it looks OEM. Great job and I am happy it's working well. Let me know if you have any more questions.
SG,

My truck has the panoramic sunroof, so I wouldn't be able to fish the cable across the roof, unless there's room to the left or right of it. I will get the truck Saturday. I searched "sunroof" in this thread but I didn't find anything.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
SG,

My truck has the panoramic sunroof, so I wouldn't be able to fish the cable across the roof, unless there's room to the left or right of it. I will get the truck Saturday. I searched "sunroof" in this thread but I didn't find anything.
You cannot run the wire across the pano, but you CAN run the wire down the side of the pano to the rear window.

WReckeR

Reaction score
You cannot run the wire across the pano, but you CAN run the wire down the side of the pano to the rear window.
Do you have both a front and back?
How much RAM? For the RAM you have, how often do you manage the stored video? It seems like I wouldn't review anything until there was an accident or something serious. Just let it continually overwrite.

Not easy to choose which Blackvue to get. I don't think I need LTE and cloud storage? I'd just manage the RAM. The 4K video is probably smarter, for long term viability.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Do you have both a front and back?
How much RAM? For the RAM you have, how often do you manage the stored video? It seems like I wouldn't review anything until there was an accident or something serious. Just let it continually overwrite.

Not easy to choose which Blackvue to get. I don't think I need LTE and cloud storage? I'd just manage the RAM. The 4K video is probably smarter, for long term viability.
The 4K cameras are really worthless IMPO. Most all computers that you would use to review video are just HD and not 4K anyway. The cost difference just isn't worth it to me, but buy what makes you happy. A standard HD camera is perfect. I highly recommend the new DR750X. It is HD, excellent camera and has the power magic pro circuitry built-in for Parking Mode.

As far as storage, you should format your SD card every month. Not formatting it on a regular basis can damage the card with that many write cycles. I just do all of my web cams on the first of each month like clock work.

Purchase this 256GB card on Amazon and you'll be good to go:

WReckeR

Reaction score
The 4K cameras are really worthless IMPO. Most all computers that you would use to review video are just HD and not 4K anyway. The cost difference just isn't worth it to me, but buy what makes you happy. A standard HD camera is perfect. I highly recommend the new DR750X. It is HD, excellent camera and has the power magic pro circuitry built-in for Parking Mode.

As far as storage, you should format your SD card every month. Not formatting it on a regular basis can damage the card with that many write cycles. I just do all of my web cams on the first of each month like clock work.

Purchase this 256GB card on Amazon and you'll be good to go:

The only thing that crossed my mind regarding the 4K was the ability to zoom in and read license plates or any other details for hit and runs and such. But if you have looked at your HD video and you think you can get the detail you need...welp...that is good enough for me! I can save some cash!

Since you are recommending an SD card, you are saying to choose only the smallest one from Blackvue? On their website, I'm not seeing a card delete option.
Edit: Sheesh, it's $160 to upgrade from 32GB to 256GB via Blackvue. Yet the Samsung 256GB card is only $33. Why would anyone buy Blackvue's card?!

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The only thing that crossed my mind regarding the 4K was the ability to zoom in and read license plates or any other details for hit and runs and such. But if you have looked at your HD video and you think you can get the detail you need...welp...that is good enough for me! I can save some cash!

Since you are recommending an SD card, you are saying to choose only the smallest one from Blackvue? On their website, I'm not seeing a card delete option.
Edit: Sheesh, it's $160 to upgrade from 32GB to 256GB via Blackvue. Yet the Samsung 256GB card is only $33. Why would anyone buy Blackvue's card?!
Yep...get the cheapest card you can with your dash cam purchase.

jeepfoamer

Reaction score
I just finished hardwiring my Viofo A129 duo earlier this week. I routed my rear camera via the passenger side floor cable trays. Partially so that I didn't have a larger coil of unused cable in the headliner and I don't like the idea of it being near the side curtain airbags should they ever deploy. It would seem to me that if that happened it could easily manage to destroy or disconnect the rear camera cable, not that I have any experience to back that up, just a thought and hey I had enough cable length, why not.

I do need to tidy up the front as it is mounted just beneath that giant bulbous black plastic housing and I need to notch it slightly so it will go back flush. It's unnoticeable to anyone but me but it still bugs me.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just finished hardwiring my Viofo A129 duo earlier this week. I routed my rear camera via the passenger side floor cable trays. Partially so that I didn't have a larger coil of unused cable in the headliner and I don't like the idea of it being near the side curtain airbags should they ever deploy. It would seem to me that if that happened it could easily manage to destroy or disconnect the rear camera cable, not that I have any experience to back that up, just a thought and hey I had enough cable length, why not.

I do need to tidy up the front as it is mounted just beneath that giant bulbous black plastic housing and I need to notch it slightly so it will go back flush. It's unnoticeable to anyone but me but it still bugs me.
Glad to hear. As long as all wiring is run on the INSIDE of the airbags, you will never have to worry. It is when people run the wires on the OUTSIDE of the airbags that it can interfere and create havoc. Just like running wires down the A-pillar, keep the wires away from the airbag and you'll be fine.

davidn0021

Reaction score
Glad to hear. As long as all wiring is run on the INSIDE of the airbags, you will never have to worry. It is when people run the wires on the OUTSIDE of the airbags that it can interfere and create havoc. Just like running wires down the A-pillar, keep the wires away from the airbag and you'll be fine.

Do you guys use battery backups or hardware into fusebox and use the truck's battery?

jeepfoamer

Reaction score
That was the thought running it down the A pillar. The metal tabs that the grab handle bolts to keep the cable behind the airbag, nothing above that I saw (admittedly didn't look hard) in the headliner that would guarantee the cable staying put. Perhaps overly cautious.

jeepfoamer

Reaction score
Do you guys use battery backups or hardware into fusebox and use the truck's battery?
I hardwired into the fuse box beneath the steering column, using the hardwire kit specifically for Viofo.

Attachments

• 1611861944843.png
    1611861944843.png
    392.7 KB · Views: 22

davidn0021

Reaction score
Hardwire right into the fuse box under the steering wheel column.
Which fuse taps did you purchase with yours? Not sure it makes any difference, really. The options I'm given are ATO fuse, low profile mini fuse, and regular mini fuse.

Grouper

Reaction score
Which fuse taps did you purchase with yours? Not sure it makes any difference, really. The options I'm given are ATO fuse, low profile mini fuse, and regular mini fuse.

Micro2.

It makes a difference if you want the tap to fit the under dash fuse box.

davidn0021

Reaction score
Gotcha. So I'll just not get the parking mode add-on and buy the micro fuse taps separately.

Users who are viewing this thread