5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard-wire Dash Cam Install

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Why don't you tape into the rear mirror power for the V1? I did same thing for my V1.
My V1 is all set, I used the Fuse 66 with a tap. I think I'll use the TurdFurgeson method on page #3. Getting behind the 12" screen is so simple, I'll connect directly to the "lighter" socket on the top tray. (It is so simple to remove the screen in less than 1 minute. Just 2 small screws in the top tray under the rubber matt. I'm surprised we don't see huge thefts on these units.) I connect this device to the back of the socket unit and plug into it and tidy up and close the screen by snapping it in at the bottom and top and replacing the screws.

Grouper

Reaction score
I ran my power wires along the top of the windshield and down the pillar on the drivers side to the fuse box. I ran the cable for the rear camera along the top of the windshield, down the pillar on the passenger side to the floor; then ran the wire along the floor in/near the door channel, up in the rear passenger side corner and across the top of the rear window (tucked into the headliner edge).

My head is starting to spin with all of these long threads. I'd like to install my front and rear Blackvue cameras in the next day or two. With regard to routing and concealing the cables, other than the A-pillar covers which obviously must be removed, are you guys removing any trim in order to conceal the cables?

Or are you just tucking/forcing the cable behind the edge of the headliner, door sill plate and weather stripping? I plan to follow the routing quoted above. I'm just trying to wrap my head around how much deconstruction I'll need to do to fully and neatly conceal the cables.

I have the largest (I think) of the available windshield rearview mirror trim housings, if that matters (adaptive cruise, auto high beams, rain sensing wipers, etc).

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
My head is starting to spin with all of these long threads. I'd like to install my front and rear Blackvue cameras in the next day or two. With regard to routing and concealing the cables, other than the A-pillar covers which obviosity must be removed, are you guys removing any trim in order to conceal the cables?

Or are you just tucking/forcing the cable behind the edge of the headliner and weather stripping? I plan to follow the routing quoted above. I'm just trying to wrap my head around how much deconstruction I'll need to do to fully and neatly conceal the cables.

I have the largest (I think) of the available windshield rearview mirror trim housings, if that matters (adaptive cruise, auto high beams, rain sensing wipers, etc).
I ran mine along the passenger side on ceiling. Once you tuck it in, it floats inside the headliner. Just have to ensure it doesn’t block the pillar airbags, so be careful.

Grouper

Reaction score
I ran mine along the passenger side on ceiling. Once you tuck it in, it floats inside the headliner. Just have to ensure it doesn’t block the pillar airbags, so be careful.

Thanks, but for that and other reasons, I'd prefer to follow the routing I quoted (down the passenger A-pillar and along the passengers side floor/sill).

Bluesurf

Reaction score
My head is starting to spin with all of these long threads. I'd like to install my front and rear Blackvue cameras in the next day or two. With regard to routing and concealing the cables, other than the A-pillar covers which obviously must be removed, are you guys removing any trim in order to conceal the cables?

Or are you just tucking/forcing the cable behind the edge of the headliner, door sill plate and weather stripping? I plan to follow the routing quoted above. I'm just trying to wrap my head around how much deconstruction I'll need to do to fully and neatly conceal the cables.

Don't be afraid of the "A Pillar". It is so simple. At the Grab Bar at the drivers side, pop open the little angle box's at the bottom. Each has a screw, remove them and the "A Pillar" will open on its hinge or you can remove it and sit it on the passenger floor. Get some smaller zip ties for the cable. ALWAYS KEEP IN MIND YOU WILL NOT PUT A ZIP AROUND THE WHITE MATERIAL. ITS YOUR DRIVERS AIR BAG. Installing is really so easy. My wire had a little black GPS box the size of a chocolate candy. I took that and it adhered to the left corner of the drivers windshield at the top. Then I ran the wire the unit under the headliner to my center review mirror. If you have plastic trim tools it makes your job easy with no damage to the liner.

Grouper

Reaction score
Don't be afraid of the "A Pillar". It is so simple. At the Grab Bar at the drivers side, pop open the little angle box's at the bottom. Each has a screw, remove them and the "A Pillar" will open on its hinge or you can remove it and sit it on the passenger floor. Get some smaller zip ties for the cable. ALWAYS KEEP IN MIND YOU WILL NOT PUT A ZIP AROUND THE WHITE MATERIAL. ITS YOUR DRIVERS AIR BAG. Installing is really so easy. My wire had a little black GPS box the size of a chocolate candy. I took that and it adhered to the left corner of the drivers windshield at the top. Then I ran the wire the unit under the headliner to my center review mirror. If you have plastic trim tools it makes your job easy with no damage to the liner.
Thanks for the reply. I have plenty of plastic trim tools and I'm not fearing removing the A-pillars (though I appreciate the explanation).

I'm just wondering if any trim other than the A-Pillar needs to be removed in order to conceal the cables? It sounds like you guys are just tucking the cable behind the headliner above the drivers seat by forcing it behind with your fingers?

What about the run to the rear camera, down the passenger A-pillar and along the passenger floor and up again to the headliner? Ae you removing the sill plates and/or other trim? Or just finding a way to force/tuck the cable into the gaps?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have plenty of plastic trim tools and I'm not fearing removing the A-pillars (though I appreciate the explanation).

I'm just wondering if any trim other than the A-Pillar needs to be removed in order to conceal the cables? It sounds like you guys are just tucking the cable behind the headliner above the drivers seat by forcing it behind with your fingers?

What about the run to the rear camera, down the passenger A-pillar and along the passenger floor and up again to the headliner? Ae you removing the sill plates and/or other trim? Or just finding a way to force/tuck the cable into the gaps?
All you should do is the following:
1. Remove the plastic shroud behind the mirror to conceal the wire coming off the camera and run up to headliner
2. Remove two bolts in the A-Pillar
3. Run the wire from the mirror across the headliner and down the A-Pillar
4. Remove the side plastic piece of the dash to route the wire into the fuse box area
5. Remove the plastic panel (2 screws and some clips) under the steering wheel column to access wiring and fuse panel
6. Install wires using fuse taps to the fuse panel and use the ground screw at the top left of the steering cover your removed

Grouper

Reaction score
All you should do is the following:
1. Remove the plastic shroud behind the mirror to conceal the wire coming off the camera and run up to headliner
2. Remove two bolts in the A-Pillar
3. Run the wire from the mirror across the headliner and down the A-Pillar
4. Remove the side plastic piece of the dash to route the wire into the fuse box area
5. Remove the plastic panel (2 screws and some clips) under the steering wheel column to access wiring and fuse panel
6. Install wires using fuse taps to the fuse panel and use the ground screw at the top left of the steering cover your removed

Thanks very much. And for the rear camera? As I posted a few posts up, I'd like to run the cable down the pax A-pillar, along the floor/sill and then back up to the headliner.

Have you guys remove the sill plates or any additional trim? Or just tucked it all in with your fingers?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks very much. And for the rear camera? As I posted a few posts up, I'd like to run the cable down the pax A-pillar, along the floor/sill and then back up to the headliner.

Have you guys remove the sill plates or any additional trim? Or just tucked it all in with your fingers?
I have a 10' fiberglass wire push/pull rod. If you have access to anything long enough, you can route the rod from right above the drivers door straight back over the headliner adjacent to the pano roof to the rear window where you can pull it through. Otherwise, I have always found it easy to route across the headliner from door to door bypassing the A & B-Pillar and floor board areas.

Grouper

Reaction score
I have a 10' fiberglass wire push/pull rod. If you have access to anything long enough, you can route the rod from right above the drivers door straight back over the headliner adjacent to the pano roof to the rear window where you can pull it through. Otherwise, I have always found it easy to route across the headliner from door to door bypassing the A & B-Pillar and floor board areas.

Thanks. I have fiberglass pull rods. No pano roof in my truck.

I hadn't considered that's it's possible to route the cable to the rear camera in that manner. I'll have to to some exploring.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks. I have fiberglass pull rods. No pano roof in my truck.

I hadn't considered that's it's possible to route the cable to the rear camera in that manner. I'll have to to some exploring.
It should be easier without the pano. You may find it easiest to remove the third brake light, fish the wire through the headliner to the brake light area access and then just drop the camera wire down below to where you want your camera located :)

Grouper

Reaction score
Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

davidn0021

Reaction score
Such a useful thread! Now to decide on just how much $$ I want to lighten my bank account of...

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score

Grouper

Reaction score
That bracket looks pretty great and really clean. I am assuming you got the short version? I am eventually going to pony up the cash for the same setup

I ordered the 2" version, based on the info in this post.

When you have all of your "stuff", please feel free to ping me via cell if you have any questions at all. Happy to help you my friend and have this installation turn out like a professional :)

Very generous of you. Thanks very much!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread