5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard-wire Dash Cam Install

tac63

Reaction score
I am actually on my 3rd VIOFO in about 2 weeks. I ordered the a129 duo and had severe interference issues...and it didn’t have the thicker cable...so I sent it back...got the a129 Pro Duo...it did have the thicker cable...but it would freeze on the boot screen...even after I did a firmware update. So I sent that one back and got this one that’s been installed for 3 days and seems to be working as it should. I kept the thicker cable from the VIOFO that froze in case the replacement didn’t have the thicker cable.

I have been in touch with VIOFO this whole time....but their customer service has been subpar...their initial response was contact Amazon for help...then after I expressed my displeasure and made them aware of this thread, they kind of changed their tone. They offered me a promo code and when I showed them I had already made the new purchase - they said they would send me a “special cable” and some ferrite rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know, I received no response from them at all, bought directly from them through Amazon with the 3 year Asurion warranty, which was also no help, so Amazon is sending me another one to try. Think I'll give this 2nd one a try and if same problem then maybe have to find another brand. I did order my own pack of ferrite rings to try as well just in case that helps with the interference. I could almost tolerate it, but the constantly hanging and not recording I won't, if I can't depend on it I couldn't care less how good the picture is.

Jeremy47

Reaction score
Just completed my dashcam install and radar... Thank you all for information, truly great information from you all that makes our lives easy (y)

As recommended... Blackvue 650 dashcam tapped to fusebox #66 and radar to rear view mirror

P.S. I recommend everyone Blackvue, I've had the same cam for past 4 years with zero issues even with California hot weather

View attachment 68461 View attachment 68464 View attachment 68465
Did you have to buy any type of "hard wire" kit for the camera as well? Or did the cameras come with it?
Can message me the links of all that you purchased for this camera install?

shurik74

Reaction score
Did you have to buy any type of "hard wire" kit for the camera as well? Or did the cameras come with it?
Can message me the links of all that you purchased for this camera install?
- Pretty much I followed thread below for dashcam hardwiring to fuse box under the steering wheel.. fuse #66

- Only hardware purchased... got it from Autozone but here is a link to similar one
Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 9.20.34 PM.png

- Cut off cigarette lighter end on original BlackVue power cord and crimped fuse tap

- Installed all the way to the top of windshield, so it less visible if my truck parked somewhere ….

Jeremy47

Reaction score
- Pretty much I followed thread below for dashcam hardwiring to fuse box under the steering wheel.. fuse #66

- Only hardware purchased... got it from Autozone but here is a link to similar one
View attachment 71179

- Cut off cigarette lighter end on original BlackVue power cord and crimped fuse tap

- Installed all the way to the top of windshield, so it less visible if my truck parked somewhere ….

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BIG_RED_WAGON

Reaction score
So going to do this myself in my '20 power wagon and I don't have a fuse panel below drivers dash :( anyone have a PW and found an interior ignition wire?? (trying not to run the tap-fuse from the fuse box under the hood and have to run a wire inside)

thanks.

BIG_RED_WAGON

Reaction score
correct, no interior panel. I will be looking for ignition and parking light wire to tap into. Has anyone found or tapped these wires inside before on a 2500?

VinnyRam

Reaction score
Has anyone try this device to provide power to their dash cam ?

1605270457776.png

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone try this device to provide power to their dash cam ?

View attachment 73811
For me personally I am not a fan of plugging into my OBDII port if there are other options. If I was monitoring parameters sure (I had a BT adapter on my last truck to monitor stuff when I was driving) but if I'm just looking for power I would find somewhere else that I could permanently connect it. Others may have a different opinion but that's my preference.

I do, however, find it interesting that they say using the OBDII connection means you don't take power from the vehicle's battery. I wonder where the power comes from? ;)

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For me personally I am not a fan of plugging into my OBDII port if there are other options. If I was monitoring parameters sure (I had a BT adapter on my last truck to monitor stuff when I was driving) but if I'm just looking for power I would find somewhere else that I could permanently connect it. Others may have a different opinion but that's my preference.

I do, however, find it interesting that they say using the OBDII connection means you don't take power from the vehicle's battery. I wonder where the power comes from? ;)
I feel the same; I prefer not to have something in my OBDII port all the time.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thinkware has one that comes with an additional OBD-II port so you can still do diognotics without unplugging the cam cable.
That's not a Thinkware device...it is made by PAC who makes several types of automotive accessories

AK103

Reaction score
Is it possible to hardwire into the mirror?

Bluesurf

Reaction score
After reading these posts I decided to get a dashcam. I made my purchase on Amazon. I purchased a Vava Dashcam.
I'm really impressed with this unit. I have an app on my iPhone, its very cool.
The install came out great, however, I don't want to use the built in USB's for power. I want to hard wire it using this kit which I ordered.
My problem is I'll use a Fuse Tap and I have already used position F66 for my permanent Valentine radar install.
I want a Tap location where power is off with the ignition. My Dashcam had a built in 320 MAH L-ion battery for "park" mode. No vehicle accessory power used.
Can fuse location F54 be used?, Is there a better location? I will use a micro fuse tap.
Thanks for your opinion.

Attachments

• DC.jpg
    DC.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 49

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I decided to go for a cheap and easy approach for now. Mainly because I don't want to hard wire it yet, just a little nervous to mess with that or trust someone else to do it.

Instead, I found a simple solution that works for now. I realized my never used storage cubby on top of the dash has a 12V socket. So I plugged in a flush mounted micro-usb adaptor that can now power your standard style dash cam.

However, I found that most dash cams for sale are designed to mount on the windshield, ironic considering the name "dash cam". Luckily, I found out my cheap Chinese GoPro knockoff actually has a dash cam mode. It turns itself on and starts recording when you turn on the ignition, it stops recording and turns itself off when you turn off the ignition. It can do 4K, but I set it to 1080P at 60 fps, 3 min loop recording.

The negatives from a dedicated dash cam is no shock detection, night recording isn't the best, and it's pretty conspicuous sitting on top of the dash, which means I unclip it and hide in the center console when not in use in case someone mistakes it for a real GoPro.

But for now, this works really well, it only cost me $7 for the USB adapter, $5 for the short 7" USB wire and the $39 action cam I already own.

Dashcam b.jpg

Dashcam.jpg

Dashcam USB Power Adapter.jpg

Dashcam base mount.jpg

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After reading these posts I decided to get a dashcam. I made my purchase on Amazon. I purchased a Vava Dashcam.
I'm really impressed with this unit. I have an app on my iPhone, its very cool.
The install came out great, however, I don't want to use the built in USB's for power. I want to hard wire it using this kit which I ordered.
My problem is I'll use a Fuse Tap and I have already used position F66 for my permanent Valentine radar install.
I want a Tap location where power is off with the ignition. My Dashcam had a built in 320 MAH L-ion battery for "park" mode. No vehicle accessory power used.
Can fuse location F54 be used?, Is there a better location? I will use a micro fuse tap.
Thanks for your opinion.

Why don't you tape into the rear mirror power for the V1? I did same thing for my V1.

Users who are viewing this thread