5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard-wire Dash Cam Install

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Thanks for your pictures and story. I used your 1500 picture to install a micro fuse tap in F66 and had my Valentine One up and running in no time. I don't think I would have done this without knowing where the fuse panel was, how to easily get into in and most importantly to use F66. You were a fantastic help and made it happen for me.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
That how I understand the capacitor to work. It has enough juice to allow an orderly save and shutdown. If parking mode is off, it should shut down. If on, it should switch to parking mode within a few seconds of losing switched power. That's how mine works. Might want to double check your switched and constant power.
Weird... Camera is working fine today. (I cycled through the parking modes last night and went back to “off”).
No issues today. Camera was off when I got in the truck after lunch and when I left work.

On edit: It's been a week and I have not had any more issues w/ unit not shutting down.
I believe once I enabled and re-disabled settings in parking mode to "off", it took the setting and the camera has been shutting down about five seconds after turning the engine off. So happy camper once again.

Last edited:

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Btw...switched power remains on for a while after turning off the ignition or until you open the door. Glad it's working for you now.

I should mention that the parking mode and 3 wire kit are recent upgrades to the A129 that require a firmware flash. Most new units should come with the new firmware but it's possible some units that have been sitting in inventory may need a flash. V1.5 is the latest.

Download here:

Last edited:

dtreadwell

Reaction score
Ok 2019 limited followed the instructions here to a T. Used a fuse tap, pulled 10amp fuse from the block, (F66) inserted 10 amp fuse into the tap. Plugged tap into block. (F66) Grounded at the fuse box nut. Now truck won’t start. Removed everything and still no go. Charging up my battery booster hoping it will run.

Kit I used:
Camera (if it matters):

Last edited:

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there a camera that actually records when the truck is turned off? Either all the time or just when movement is sensed?

Hunts99

Reaction score
Is there a camera that actually records when the truck is turned off? Either all the time or just when movement is sensed?
Most will do it of you look at the specs. I have the Viofo A129 and with their hardwire kit, it will record up until the battery cutoff kicks in. I am still trying to figure out the different parking modes and what they do for me and what would be the difference between them. The A129 has a motion detection and a constant record feature, so the choice is yours in what fits your circumstances (the movement detection will start recording a few seconds after the movement so you may miss events leading up to the event).

Circling back, there are ways to record when the truck is off, usually either tapped into the battery or a separate charging source.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok 2019 limited followed the instructions here to a T. Used a fuse tap, pulled 10amp fuse from the block, (F66) inserted 10 amp fuse into the tap. Plugged tap into block. (F66) Grounded at the fuse box nut. Now truck won’t start. Removed everything and still no go. Charging up my battery booster hoping it will run.

Kit I used:
Camera (if it matters):

Remove your ground from the fuse block grounding spot and you should be good. I used a screw under the dash left side panel (panel comes off when the drivers door is opened). My gut says this is your issue.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I've got the A129 with their hardwire kit and it records 24/7 whether I use the truck or not. I'll get just over 3 days on the 256gb micro SD card. My wife gets a kick out of it that our home cameras are motion detection but the truck records 24/7. It wasn't worth it for me to use the motion detection and risk missing part of the event.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got the A129 with their hardwire kit and it records 24/7 whether I use the truck or not. I'll get just over 3 days on the 256gb micro SD card. My wife gets a kick out of it that our home cameras are motion detection but the truck records 24/7. It wasn't worth it for me to use the motion detection and risk missing part of the event.

Well that’s good to know. Does the Garmin dash cam 55 also do that? If you happen to know. I see it on the top of the list in many top 10 best dash cams?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well that’s good to know. Does the Garmin dash cam 55 also do that? If you happen to know. I see it on the top of the list in many top 10 best dash cams?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea. I ran a G1W for years before this. From my research the A129 is hard to beat for the price, especially given the dual cameras.

dtreadwell

Reaction score
Remove your ground from the fuse block grounding spot and you should be good. I used a screw under the dash left side panel (panel comes off when the drivers door is opened). My gut says this is your issue.

Fire, Thanks for the tip. I took everything out and the truck still won't start. Jumped it, unplugged the battery for about 5 minutes, showing low fuel, even put more gas in just incase I was an absolute idiot and really let it run empty. Still nothing. All I know to do now is take it to the dealer in the morning. At this point I'm sending it all back. This stuff has ruined my weekend/holiday and I just don't want a flipping camera now.

Last edited:

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Fire, Thanks for the tip. I took everything out and the truck still won't start. Jumped it, unplugged the battery for about 5 minutes, showing low fuel, even put more gas in just incase I was an absolute idiot and really let it run empty. Still nothing. All I know to do now is take it to the dealer in the morning. At this point I'm sending it all back. This stuff has ruined my weekend/holiday and I just don't want a flipping camera now.
That sucks. Just thinking you should check fuses. Do you have power, screen lights up etc. Have you tried to use the remote start via fob or uconnect?

dtreadwell

Reaction score
That sucks. Just thinking you should check fuses. Do you have power, screen lights up etc. Have you tried to use the remote start via fob or uconnect?

I officially feel like the biggest idiot on earth. I was sitting here stewing in my anger thinking surely this is a simple thing. Has to be a fuse or something like that. It sounded fuel starved and I know how to troubleshoot these things. So I checked the fuses and they were ok. Put the truck in Run and heard the fuel pump kick in and click a few times. It never occurred to me to check this. The gauge reads low. Couldn’t be that low right? My driveway is at a 45 degree angle and I back in. Put the truck in neutral and let it roll down level. Fuel indicator moves up and the truck fired up. ‍♂️

So after calling myself every insult in the book I took it around the corner and filled it up. Good to go now. Lesson is, the sending unit is near the back of the tank. So don’t run it low again.

I’ll try the camera again tomorrow. That’s enough stress for one day.

Thanks for the help everyone. Hope you all at least got a good chuckle out of this.

BlckDT

Reaction score
This thread has been great. I am preparing to install my Blackvue DR650-2CH which was used for the last 3 years in my Grand Cherokee. Other than ensuring I have enough gas in my tank ( @dtreadwell ) I should have it setup this week/weekend.

I did have a thought of replacing this unit though. I do love my Blackvue but it sounds like the A129 is another popular and quality choice. Was possibly going to pull the trigger on the DR900S-2CH 4K UltraHD but might consider the A129.

Oh the choices! Keep the old but working unit or go for new.... LOL

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
This thread has been great. I am preparing to install my Blackvue DR650-2CH which was used for the last 3 years in my Grand Cherokee. Other than ensuring I have enough gas in my tank ( @dtreadwell ) I should have it setup this week/weekend.

I did have a thought of replacing this unit though. I do love my Blackvue but it sounds like the A129 is another popular and quality choice. Was possibly going to pull the trigger on the DR900S-2CH 4K UltraHD but might consider the A129.

Oh the choices! Keep the old but working unit or go for new.... LOL
I am loving the A129. Those Sony 1.6 lenses do make a huge difference at night.
Only issue I've had with mine is the GPS base stopped working. I contacted Viofo and they already sent me a replacement which I will be getting in a couple of days. In the meanwhile, I have the power cable directly connected to the mini usb of the camera, and it's working fine (albeit w/o GPS at the moment).

Cheers,

Last edited:

BlckDT

Reaction score
Finally got around to wiring up my BlackVue dashcam. I’ve had it for the last few years and will soon look to upgrade. It’s the DR650s-2CH. 1080p up front and 720p in back.

Got the front all hooked up along with the Power Magic Pro. Thanks to this thread about using the specific fuses. Have had no issue.

Here’s a screenshot off my phone from the front cam. The image looks crappy because it’s just a screenshot. It’s much clearer if I were to download the recorded file or use the desktop app to view.

869B1A02-1828-46B4-BF54-E94B4AD73CE6.png

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally got around to wiring up my BlackVue dashcam. I’ve had it for the last few years and will soon look to upgrade. It’s the DR650s-2CH. 1080p up front and 720p in back.

Got the front all hooked up along with the Power Magic Pro. Thanks to this thread about using the specific fuses. Have had no issue.

Here’s a screenshot off my phone from the front cam. The image looks crappy because it’s just a screenshot. It’s much clearer if I were to download the recorded file or use the desktop app to view.

View attachment 27460
That doesn’t look crappy for a screenshot.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
I am loving the A129. Those Sony 1.6 lenses do make a huge difference at night.
Only issue I've had with mine is the GPS base stopped working. I contacted Viofo and they already sent me a replacement which I will be getting in a couple of days. In the meanwhile, I have the power cable directly connected to the mini usb of the camera, and it's working fine (albeit w/o GPS at the moment).

Cheers,
This is the camera I want to buy for my 1500. Doesn't the sliding rear window open towards the passenger side? I thought I'd mount the rear camera on the side the window doesn't slide towards. Was it a big deal running the cable from the front cam through the headliner to the rear window? This is the one thing that has deterred me from buying so far.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the camera I want to buy for my 1500. Doesn't the sliding rear window open towards the passenger side? I thought I'd mount the rear camera on the side the window doesn't slide towards. Was it a big deal running the cable from the front cam through the headliner to the rear window? This is the one thing that has deterred me from buying so far.

No issues - if you see my post, a few posts back, all that is answered.

Users who are viewing this thread