5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard-wire Dash Cam Install

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The taps I bought worked fine for me on 66 & 33.
I'll post pics when I finish the install tonight.

I should have pictures further back in this thread with pics showing the taps work. I know I used 66 and one other for the always on / switched power.

Briencrotty

Reaction score
The taps I bought worked fine for me on 66 & 33.
I'll post pics when I finish the install tonight.
Sweet. I couldn't get them to seat all the way down because of the block fuses right above 66. Finally got the new power magic pro in to replace the DOA one, so early next week I'll be back under there rewiring it yet again.

B

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Here's one I took last night.
All I have left to do is route the front and rear camera cables neatly and done. I'll post the rest when complete.

IMG_2689.jpeg

Cheers,

Last edited:

Briencrotty

Reaction score
All I have left to do is route the front and rear camera cables neatly and done. I'll post the rest when complete.

View attachment 25151

Cheers,
Thanks for posting the pic. Interestingly, you don't have fuses in the large fuse spots just above 66, while I do (and they're big block fuses, not the micros that are everywhere else). They must have something to do with some option on the truck that I have that isn't on yours. Who knows.

B

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Here are some install pics.

Rear cam was mounted high center on sliding glass panel (with some slack in case someone opens it).

Quality is real, real good, as both have very fast 1.6 Sony lenses (1080p / 30 ea. camera).
Spent about an hour yesterday getting familiar with the fuse panel and making the connections, and about 1.5 hrs today running the wire under the trim, etc.

Cheers,

IMG_2691.jpeg IMG_2693.jpeg IMG_2694.jpeg IMG_2700.jpeg IMG_2703.jpeg Front Cam.jpeg Rear Cam.jpeg Front Cam 2.jpeg Rear Cam 2.jpeg

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

View attachment 25151

Cheers,
Same exact place that I installed my fuse taps for my Blackvue, just make sure you install fuses rated at less than 3-4 amps. Those RED ones are 10A and should be replaced.

bugged

Reaction score
I have had mine in FL heat for 2+ years and never an issue with a BlackVue overheating or having any adverse reaction to heat. Don't believe everything you read on the Internet ;)
Same here, four Dodges 4 Blackviews...various models and never an issue. Heat or others. Several years old now

Hunts99

Reaction score
What are the overall thoughts for the amperage on the auto shut off for parking mode on the A129? Would it be 12.4, 12.2, 12.0 or ???? I have everything ran to the cameras, just need to do the electrical (and tidy it all up). I have seen all sorts of differing thoughts and theories on the 12.4 or 12.2 in this thread and I just want to make sure I get it set up right and will not drain the battery too far down for the parking mode (without installing a additional power source).

Also, any thoughts on the 3 different parking modes (Auto Event, Time Lapse, Low Bitrate)? I am a newbie when it comes to dash cams (the A129 is my first one).

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine is set up for 12.0 and runs until the battery hits that voltage. My Blackvue will run for a week plus without any issues. Had my cams setup this way for the last 3 years and zero issues.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
12.2 for me. The A129, being dual camera, draws more current. It shuts down sometime in the 2nd night. That's a 30 to 36 hour runtime. I haven't looked to see exactly when it shuts down. The truck starts strong so far. I can easily set it to a lower voltage for the rare times I would park for longer away from home.

Edit: I'm running the A129 in Low Bitrate Parking Mode, not the slow frame rate motion detection mode. It's videoing 100% of the time.

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
12.2 for me. The A129, being dual camera, draws more current. It shuts down sometime in the 2nd night. That's a 30 to 36 hour runtime. I haven't looked to see exactly when it shuts down. The truck starts strong so far. I can easily set it to a lower voltage for the rare times I would park for longer away from home.

Edit: I'm running the A129 in Low Bitrate Parking Mode, not the slow frame rate motion detection mode. It's videoing 100% of the time.
I’ve had my A129 for about a week now. Here’s my question. How does the camera know when it should be in parking mode (or how to switch from regular recording, to low bit rate or whatever mode you selected for parking)?

Since I have both the switched and always on wiring connected, even if parking mode is set to off, the camera seems to keep on recording since it keeps drawing power from the always on wire.

Still trying to figure this out...

Cheers,

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had my A129 for about a week now. Here’s my question. How does the camera know when it should be in parking mode (or how to switch from regular recording, to low bit rate or whatever mode you selected for parking)?

Since I have both the switched and always on wiring connected, even if parking mode is set to off, the camera seems to keep on recording since it keeps drawing power from the always on wire.

Still trying to figure this out...

Cheers,

If parking mode is set to off, it shouldn't record, provided the switched is connected to truly switched power.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
If parking mode is set to off, it shouldn't record, provided the switched is connected to truly switched power.
It is, and eventually it does turn off, but the camera does stay on for a while after turning of the engine. Strange. Wonder if it’s the built-in capacitor perhaps? Does yours turn off immediately?

Just this morning the camera was still running when I got in the truck at lunch time at work (not recording, fast flashing).

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is, and eventually it does turn off, but the camera does stay on for a while after turning of the engine. Strange. Wonder if it’s the built-in capacitor perhaps? Does yours turn off immediately?

Just this morning the camera was still running when I got in the truck at lunch time at work (not recording, fast flashing).

Haven't tried it. Capacitor in my last camera only kept it on a few seconds to finish saving data.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Haven't tried it. Capacitor in my last camera only kept it on a few seconds to finish saving data.
That how I understand the capacitor to work. It has enough juice to allow an orderly save and shutdown. If parking mode is off, it should shut down. If on, it should switch to parking mode within a few seconds of losing switched power. That's how mine works. Might want to double check your switched and constant power.

Users who are viewing this thread