5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard-wire Dash Cam Install

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
@kittyjo ...happy to help if you have any questions. Just PM me and I'll give you my cell. @firecadet613 did an OK job on his install but you should wire it up correctly as shown in post 123 using fuse taps and never just jam a wire into a fuse panel.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@kittyjo ...happy to help if you have any questions. Just PM me and I'll give you my cell. @firecadet613 did an OK job on his install but you should wire it up correctly as shown in post 123 using fuse taps and never just jam a wire into a fuse panel.
@securityguy check again...fuse tap was installed later on . Just didn't take pics while I was back under there.

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Weird RF problem. I know I read another poster describing how the exterior push to lock feature basically didn't work after installing this. I have that problem now and a bigger one on top. Was driving yesterday when it popped up an alert that both front tires were at 0 pressure. I kept driving thinking "they don't even feel low." They weren't. This morning both show "--" and the service TPMS system alert pops up now.

I turned off WiFi (was using 5GHz) on the Viofo A129. No change.

I unplugged it at the camera and after a few minutes of driving everything is back to normal.

Now I've got to figure out where the interference is coming from. I'm using the hardwire kit that runs from the camera (to the right of the mirror) in between the headliner and the mirror shroud, under the front edge of the headliner, tucked in the left side of the A pillar cover, under the left removable side of the dash, to the fusebox. I used taps on both A33 and A66.

I'm off to figure out where the front RF receiver is as I suspect the wire is too close to that. I didn't think I'd have this trouble since the hardwire cable has a choke on it near the plug. I'm also surprised that the front tire TPMS monitors connect to that same RF antenna used for keyless entry, unless that's just an unhappy coincidence.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting you mention that as a few times I've had the lock button on the handle not respond. Mine is routed the same way as yours except the cameras on the left side of the mirror. Keep us posted with what you find out.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Found an earlier post with the RRF Hub on the back wall of the cab. How the heck is this thing creating this much interference to reach that far?

I'm going to try the cigarette lighter USB power in the meantime to see if that causes the same issue. That should narrow it down to a noisy (rf) camera and not the wiring.

Prodat

Reaction score
Also installed viofo a129 duo with hardwire kit, pretty easy install, thanks all.

Only thing with rear camera, not the best quality due infrared, maybe settings, will look at that tomorrow.

Some pictures of installed and screenshots below.

Attachments

• 20200104_162508.jpg
    20200104_162508.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 290
  • 20200104_162609.jpg
    20200104_162609.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 291
  • 20200104_155630.jpg
    20200104_155630.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 290
  • 20200104_152854.jpg
    20200104_152854.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 286
  • 20200104_155630.jpg
    20200104_155630.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 290
  • 20200104_175557.jpg
    20200104_175557.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 282
  • 20200104_175614.jpg
    20200104_175614.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 277

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Found an earlier post with the RRF Hub on the back wall of the cab. How the heck is this thing creating this much interference to reach that far?

I'm going to try the cigarette lighter USB power in the meantime to see if that causes the same issue. That should narrow it down to a noisy (rf) camera and not the wiring.

With the USB cord there is no issue so it is clearly a hardwire problem. For grins, I undid the zip tied cables underneath the dash and moved all the extra to the left end of the dash as others have done. I actually think that made it a bit worse. Now the passive unlock (grab the door handle from the outside) does not work 95% of the time.

I've opened a case with Viofo and will report back but the camera is basically unusable now.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm also surprised that the front tire TPMS monitors connect to that same RF antenna used for keyless entry, unless that's just an unhappy coincidence.
Very common in most new vehicles. Sorry to hear you are having issues. I have not had a single issue with my Blackvue since it was installed over 8 months ago and I routed my wires the same as you...so it sounds.

Reverse

Reaction score
Also installed viofo a129 duo with hardwire kit, pretty easy install, thanks all.

Only thing with rear camera, not the best quality due infrared, maybe settings, will look at that tomorrow.

Some pictures of installed and screenshots below.

Lekdijk in Krimpen? :)

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've now figured out that the 12V/5V converter (switch in middle of hardwire kit) is the culprit. I tried different battery voltage settings with no change. I then wrapped it a few times in aluminum foil and the problem is now gone. Since mine is vertically oriented I left it open on the ends so there is still some air flow if it generates any heat.

I'd call this an ugly fix but it's working for now. Will wait and see what the Viofo tech guys come back with. I'm guessing they have a fair amount of variance in the RF noise in their builds.
20200105_105632.jpg

kittyjo

Reaction score
Hopefully receiving my dash cam tomorrow so I shud have it installed by the end of next week just in time for a road trip to the beach!!!

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One thing you all might look at is that if you have extra wire, and coil it, you may be creating an electro-magnetic field, which may be generating RF disturbance.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've now figured out that the 12V/5V converter (switch in middle of hardwire kit) is the culprit. I tried different battery voltage settings with no change. I then wrapped it a few times in aluminum foil and the problem is now gone. Since mine is vertically oriented I left it open on the ends so there is still some air flow if it generates any heat.

I'd call this an ugly fix but it's working for now. Will wait and see what the Viofo tech guys come back with. I'm guessing they have a fair amount of variance in the RF noise in their builds.
View attachment 43355

Update: First drive today and the Al foil wrap did not solve the issue. "Service TPMS came up." I then got a response from Viofo and they asked what happens when I disconnect the rear camera. I did and that seems to have eliminated the issue. I'm now waiting on them to find out what's up with the rear cam/cable causing this. I do recall having some loops in the rear cable in the headliner to take up some slack.

Did any of you install your cable differently, i.e. with just one long run and no coiling? If so, where did you run it?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Update: First drive today and the Al foil wrap did not solve the issue. "Service TPMS came up." I then got a response from Viofo and they asked what happens when I disconnect the rear camera. I did and that seems to have eliminated the issue. I'm now waiting on them to find out what's up with the rear cam/cable causing this. I do recall having some loops in the rear cable in the headliner to take up some slack.

Did any of you install your cable differently, i.e. with just one long run and no coiling? If so, where did you run it?
Buy a Blackvue and call it a day

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Buy a Blackvue and call it a day
Don't give up yet.

I have my rear camera cable tucked into the headliner along the passenger side to the rear camera which is on the passenger side of the sliding rear window. If I've got anything coiled up it's near the B pillar.

kittyjo

Reaction score
Will be installing my dash cam tomorrow will report on how it does!! I think best budget cam.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 81

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have been following your RF issues. Mine may have intermittently had the same problem; but I never thought about the camera. There have been a couple times where my door handles would not unlock the truck and there have also been a couple times that my left front TPMS failed. Neither problem has been consistent; so I just figured it was another electronic bug. I have the camera power going down the driver's side and ran the rear camera around the passenger side. I'll have to keep an eye on mine; but for now I don't have any concerns. I still think the A129 Duo is probably the best value out there for a high quality camera setup. I don't utilize the camera Wifi at all; Viofo evens recommends that you do not keep the Wifi turned on because it will interfere with your recording cycles.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been following your RF issues. Mine may have intermittently had the same problem; but I never thought about the camera. There have been a couple times where my door handles would not unlock the truck and there have also been a couple times that my left front TPMS failed. Neither problem has been consistent; so I just figured it was another electronic bug. I have the camera power going down the driver's side and ran the rear camera around the passenger side. I'll have to keep an eye on mine; but for now I don't have any concerns. I still think the A129 Duo is probably the best value out there for a high quality camera setup. I don't utilize the camera Wifi at all; Viofo evens recommends that you do not keep the Wifi turned on because it will interfere with your recording cycles.

It's well documented how sensitive the nearfield reception on the Ram is where it can get blocked by LED lights (both on the truck and nearby) and other things even with the 4 antennas in the truck. Now that I'm dealing with this it's dawned on me that adding a little RF interference via something like a dash cam will add up with other external interference causing more issues in more places.

I'm going to keep plugging away at this as I've got a few more weeks before my return window. Having the cam would be nice but I'm not willing to give up keyless entry to get it.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's well documented how sensitive the nearfield reception on the Ram is where it can get blocked by LED lights (both on the truck and nearby) and other things even with the 4 antennas in the truck. Now that I'm dealing with this it's dawned on me that adding a little RF interference via something like a dash cam will add up with other external interference causing more issues in more places.

I'm going to keep plugging away at this as I've got a few more weeks before my return window. Having the cam would be nice but I'm not willing to give up keyless entry to get it.
Here's an idea...

My Ram has had poor keyfob range since day one... never gave it a second thought (dashcam since day one).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread