5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GT Package

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
so since i had not have the chance yet to play with my performance app, i had to go out and try it out this morning... not bad one pull, half of tank of 87 gas, on 4 wheel auto -11c outside

0-60 in 5.5 and 1/8 in 8.7 and 1/4 in 14.4
View attachment 152555
Good time, In sure the temps helped. Next time use 4-hi instead of 4-auto on the launch, then switch to 2wd after it shifts into 2nd gear and will be faster.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good time, In sure the temps helped. Next time use 4-hi instead of 4-auto on the launch, then switch to 2wd after it shifts into 2nd gear and will be faster.
will do, ill try it
yeah it was around 12f outside that helps, dont know if the 4wd vs 2wd slow me down or not

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
will do, ill try it
yeah it was around 12f outside that helps, dont know if the 4wd vs 2wd slow me down or not
4-auto has always been the slowest times for me in 1/8 mile. You lose power through the clutches in transfer case. Lock it into 4-high. I stay in 4-hi during 1/8 mile races, which is what my local drag strip is, and for 1/4 mikez I will shift it into 2wd. I saw a solid 1/10 sec improvement when shifting to 2wd after launch. I also use tow/haul mode, but with your GT, you should be using paddle shifters. Turn off traction control as well

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
4-auto has always been the slowest times for me in 1/8 mile. You lose power through the clutches in transfer case. Lock it into 4-high. I stay in 4-hi during 1/8 mile races, which is what my local drag strip is, and for 1/4 mikez I will shift it into 2wd. I saw a solid 1/10 sec improvement when shifting to 2wd after launch. I also use tow/haul mode, but with your GT, you should be using paddle shifters. Turn off traction control as well
Tow\haul shouldn't make you faster if you are WOT.
I'm also not sure if paddle shifters would be the best choice on WoT either vs letting it automatically shift, I think it would depend on which leaned transmission setting you are on.
I THINK they can shift into "sport" mode via the center shifter and just not trigger the shifters.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tow\haul shouldn't make you faster if you are WOT.
I'm also not sure if paddle shifters would be the best choice on WoT either vs letting it automatically shift, I think it would depend on which leaned transmission setting you are on.
I THINK they can shift into "sport" mode via the center shifter and just not trigger the shifters.
Being able to hold the gear a little longer helps. Be it in tow/haul mode or using the paddle shifters. These aren't things I just made up. Tricks for drag racing that have been around, and used by many

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Being able to hold the gear a little longer helps. Be it in tow/haul mode or using the paddle shifters. These aren't things I just made up. Tricks for drag racing that have been around, and used by many
What is the red line of your truck?
My speedometer doesn't show it.

On WoT the automatic trans should keep you in gear as long as safely possible before shifting.

Each car\truck handles these things differently

Are you claiming this is far below what the revlimitor for my truck would be because I just don't believe that.
I have shifts at 5874, 5879, and 5879 on WoT (3rd, to 4th, to 5th gear respectively) to 108mph before I got off the gas and it's final shift.

1677001544880.png
1677001549094.png
1677001552038.png

Going back on further logs, it looks like the truck may like to shift early on some gears (but I wasn't logging current gear it seems, but that shouldn't be the case in a GT in sports mode.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

On WoT the automatic trans should keep you in gear as long as safely possible before shifting.

Are you claiming this is far below what the revlimitor for my truck would be because I just don't believe that.
I have shifts at 5874, 5879, and 5879 on WoT (3rd, to 4th, to 5th gear respectively) to 108mph before I got off the gas and it's final shift.

View attachment 152560
View attachment 152561
View attachment 152562

Going back on further logs, it looks like the truck may like to shift early on some gears (but I wasn't logging current gear it seems, but that shouldn't be the case in a GT in sports mode.
The trans is programmed to shift well before rev limiter. If you could hold that gear until 6000rpm, your times would be quicker. Not sure what the stock rev limiter is. They don't program these for max performance, but for driver comfort and convenience

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The trans is programmed to shift well before rev limiter. If you could hold that gear until 6000rpm, your times would be quicker. Not sure what the stock rev limiter is. They don't program these for max performance, but for driver comfort and convenience
Yes obviously the longer you can hold higher RPMs the more strength you have and thus speed.
I do currently have a tune on my truck, and I would be curious if you have any information on what the rev limiter would be since these trucks don't have redlines.

I have read 5500 RPMs on the 5.7 on some websites, and others which claim "up to 8k RPM" which seems like nonsense.

Now I want to go do a few WoT to see if I can beat crusher's 5.5 sec 0-60 in my fat (almost every option and heavy parts like retractable cover) Limited.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes obviously the longer you can hold higher RPMs the more strength you have and thus speed.
I do currently have a tune on my truck, and I would be curious if you have any information on what the rev limiter would be since these trucks don't have redlines.

I have read 5500 RPMs on the 5.7 on some websites, and others which claim "up to 8k RPM" which seems like nonsense.

Now I want to go do a few WoT to see if I can beat crusher's 5.5 sec 0-60 in my fat (almost every option and heavy parts like retractable cover) Limited.
Rev limiter will be whatever is set in your tune. What the safe RPM is, I'm not 100% sure. You could probably take it to 6500 no issues. Ideally you Would need to get in a dyno to see where your power and is and adjust shift points and rec V limiter to that

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

View attachment 152560
View attachment 152561
View attachment 152562

There isn't a "sport mode" on a stock GT. I use the paddle shifters or the ratchet shifter to manage my shifts. I have been thinking of logging some runs through the Performance Pages to see what the RPMs were, to see if I am missing an opportunity. As @HSKR R/T suggested, I want to do some runs in 4w Hi and see how that goes as well.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
There isn't a "sport mode" on a stock GT. I use the paddle shifters or the ratchet shifter to manage my shifts.
What does it say when you move your console shifter to the side? I believe it changes your gear from D to S if you don't hit the paddle shifter unless I'm mistaken.

HemiDude

Reaction score
so since i had not have the chance yet to play with my performance app, i had to go out and try it out this morning... not bad one pull, half of tank of 87 gas, on 4 wheel auto -11c outside

0-60 in 5.5 and 1/8 in 8.7 and 1/4 in 14.4
View attachment 152555
I am impressed, sir. You've given me a new target to shoot for ;). I am curious, why does your PP show a combination of metric and English measurements? Seems like mixing meters and feet might create some confusion

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am impressed, sir. You've given me a new target to shoot for ;). I am curious, why does your PP show a combination of metric and English measurements? Seems like mixing meters and feet might create some confusion
He's also cheating using meters. 400 meters isn't quite 1/4 mile. 😜

HemiDude

Reaction score
What does it say when you move your console shifter to the side? I believe it changes your gear from D to S if you don't hit the paddle shifter unless I'm mistaken.
It does change from "D" to "S", and it also requires you to manually shift when you do that

HemiDude

Reaction score
When you make your first shift with your paddle shifters, does it change from S to M?
Don't recall seeing that off the top of my head. The paddle shifters hold the current gear until you tell them to up or down shift, just like the console shifter. It is basically just a ratchet shifter - forward for down and back for up

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
because i have a canadian truck, thats why

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He's also cheating using meters. 400 meters isn't quite 1/4 mile. 😜
lol your right, 400m is missing like 6 feets to be a complet 1/4 miles but i do beleive the app calculate it as a quartet mile amd not as 400m, but that just a feeling i have i might be wrong

Users who are viewing this thread