5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grinding noise when turning to the right

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
@RamCares This seems to be a common response from the dealer. I had the grinding very consistently since I bought the truck with 29K miles. The dealer could never get me in so I waited and waited. By that time, I needed new tires so I got them and the noise went away. I know this is temporary because the noise has started to come back ever so slightly and not very often but I can only assume it will get worse as I get more wear on my tires.

Ram has identified this is a problem. Its ridiculous that they won't flash the software. This can't take more than 15-20 minutes and really at what cost to them?? Please help me and the others to get this addressed without the run around we are getting.
Hi,
Thank you for providing this information and your feedback. If any forum members have this concern, we recommend following up with us before or during their dealer visit.

Rob
Ram Cares

Benjams

Reaction score
I’ve noticed the sound is around only during warm weather. Anything above 25 c / 77 f.
Same thing as everyone else reports; bring it back multiple times, can’t reproduce. I got fed up and asked the service manager to come for a ride and I’d show him myself. I was able to reproduced while he was in passenger seat. The solution was the software update. It’s the power steering communicating feedback improperly at low speeds. It produces a low grinding noise. TSB 08-137-21. The service team has been great, but it being intermittent is a challenge.

It has been no where close to warm enough since the repair, but I’m happy to update once it warms up in the cold north. image.jpg

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’ve noticed the sound is around only during warm weather. Anything above 25 c / 77 f.
Same thing as everyone else reports; bring it back multiple times, can’t reproduce. I got fed up and asked the service manager to come for a ride and I’d show him myself. I was able to reproduced while he was in passenger seat. The solution was the software update. It’s the power steering communicating feedback improperly at low speeds. It produces a low grinding noise. TSB 08-137-21. The service team has been great, but it being intermittent is a challenge.

It has been no where close to warm enough since the repair, but I’m happy to update once it warms up in the cold north. View attachment 117721
That’s great news. This fixed mine as well

llando88

Reaction score
Right, so I visited the dealer today for my annual oil change service.

Before I arrived, I tried to replicate the rubbing sound in a parking lot. I turned full lock, both left and right, several times and wasn't able to make the same noise I thought I'd heard. Which is weird because it was noticeable on turning left.

I probably spent 15 minutes doing this. So, bottom line, by the time I arrived at the dealer, I told them I could not in all good conscience say anything was wrong. There's no noise now, at all. Kinda odd but that's where I am.

I did air up the tires to about 38 all around; I don't know, maybe that helped?

At any rate, I just wanted to post back. Those getting the TSB to have their issue fixed, great; I'll just have to keep an eye on mine.

Rich
Think I finally got this resolved.

Turns out it was a mis-attached shroud under the tire well.

I took the truck for another oil change last week, and asked them to check out the noise. My service guy looked into the wheel well and rattled a small piece of trim in the area of the circle.

F7BF15D4-C520-42FA-8973-9439F4E21FFE.jpeg

The tech inserted a clip to reattach it. Haven’t heard the noise since.

Just another thing to check if you are having a noise at full lock.

vaughnoil

Reaction score
I have the same issue, slight grinding and vibrating sound when mainly turning to the right at low speeds. I have an appointment with the dealer for Tues, May 31. I will let them know about the results shown on this forum. I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Limited with 22,000 miles. this has been happening for a couple of months now, but seems to be getting worse. I will report back with the results of the service appointment with the dealer.

Sbroussard691

Reaction score

It has been no where close to warm enough since the repair, but I’m happy to update once it warms up in the cold north. View attachment 117721
Was your issue resolved?

Sbroussard691

Reaction score
I have the same issue, slight grinding and vibrating sound when mainly turning to the right at low speeds. I have an appointment with the dealer for Tues, May 31. I will let them know about the results shown on this forum. I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Limited with 22,000 miles. this has been happening for a couple of months now, but seems to be getting worse. I will report back with the results of the service appointment with the dealer.
What was the end result?

vaughnoil

Reaction score
I have been to the dealer three times now. The 1st time they could not replicate the sound and they said the vehicle checked out fine, no issues. On my way home from the dealer, I heard the sound a few times. I brought the truck back to the dealer a few days later and got a senior technician to take a ride with me. I was able to reproduce the sound within 5 minutes of going for a ride. I also gave them a copy of TSB 08-137-21 . They set me up for an appointment for yesterday. When I picked up the vehicle, Once again I was told that everything is all set and that they could not get it to make the sound. The sound was still there on my ride home. I'm not sure what they are actually checking and if the flash was done. I went back again today, spoke to the senior tech and they are going to try again on the 16th. I'm not confident that they will be able to fix the issue. It only happens when turning right at a slow speed. It is a 2021 Ram 1500 limited with 23,000 miles.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
I have been to the dealer three times now. The 1st time they could not replicate the sound and they said the vehicle checked out fine, no issues. On my way home from the dealer, I heard the sound a few times. I brought the truck back to the dealer a few days later and got a senior technician to take a ride with me. I was able to reproduce the sound within 5 minutes of going for a ride. I also gave them a copy of TSB 08-137-21 . They set me up for an appointment for yesterday. When I picked up the vehicle, Once again I was told that everything is all set and that they could not get it to make the sound. The sound was still there on my ride home. I'm not sure what they are actually checking and if the flash was done. I went back again today, spoke to the senior tech and they are going to try again on the 16th. I'm not confident that they will be able to fix the issue. It only happens when turning right at a slow speed. It is a 2021 Ram 1500 limited with 23,000 miles.
Sounds like they didn't do the TSB. I had it done with no push back and the sound has not happened again. Dealer service departments suck, but its odd they would push back over such and easy fix.

xspeedy

Reaction score
I just started having the noise at around 15K miles. Sounds kind of like the noise or vibration tires would make taking a slow corner on an epoxy painted shop floor with wet tires. It feels like it is coming from the left side during right turns. I had the TSB for the EPS update done. Haven’t driven long enough in the right conditions, but hoping resloved.

Ram92131

Reaction score
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but has anyone who got the software update for the steering module have the groaning sound return? Or have any other power steering issues since the TSB was applied? I'm about to go to the dealer tomorrow and ask them to apply the TSB. So just wanted to make sure there is no risk of this causing some other issue.

Benjams

Reaction score
Can confirm fixed the issue in my limited.
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but has anyone who got the software update for the steering module have the groaning sound return? Or have any other power steering issues since the TSB was applied? I'm about to go to the dealer tomorrow and ask them to apply the TSB. So just wanted to make sure there is no risk of this causing some other issue.

Ram92131

Reaction score
Well, I'm 1 day in from having the update applied. I feel like the groan has been significantly reduced. But it certainly was not eliminated. I had this happening for a long time, and I sort of just put up with it. Now this makes me wonder whether letting it go leads to some sort of damage.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well, I'm 1 day in from having the update applied. I feel like the groan has been significantly reduced. But it certainly was not eliminated. I had this happening for a long time, and I sort of just put up with it. Now this makes me wonder whether letting it go leads to some sort of damage.
I feel like I have this noise and it has gotten worse in mine too. I had the clock spring replaced initially for some clicking noise but need to try to get this tsb done even though I’m past warranty period now I’ll pay for it if needed

Eraz3r

Reaction score
Mine came back. I'm going back in on the 17th to leave the truck with them till its fixed. To be fair - its entirely possible they didnt do it right or at all - im not totally sold on my dealership actually listening to me.

Users who are viewing this thread