5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grinding noise when turning to the right

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Same grinding issue also, it started ~2 weeks ago. I have 7800 miles. When I can I'll get it to the local dealer.

janno_napster

Reaction score
Is the frequency (pitch) of the vibration constant, or does it vary with speed while you are turning?

its constant....everytime i park on my parking spot due to i live on a townhouse and theres only 1 way to park my truck...i have to make slow tight turn to right on slow speed then back up parking on my spot...

FL Laramie

Reaction score
Is the frequency (pitch) of the vibration constant, or does it vary with speed while you are turning?
For me it was a constant vibration. Once it started it would continue for another 15 to 30 degree rotation of the steering wheel. Only last maybe 2-3 seconds. Imagine your steering wheel having the same vibration setting as your phone for 2 to 3 seconds.

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
Have you compared the vibration /noise to the sound of the antilock brake pump cycling? When I went through all my problems with the antilock pump system (related to faults in the wheel speed sensors) I triggered it lots of times and became quite familiar with the sound of the pump firing without it actually applying the brakes. Have you noticed if your traction control light momentarily blinks when you hear the noise.

The pump makes a constant high speed buzz that does not vary with speed.

Sharp turns have the wheels turning at markedly different speeds. One wheel speed sensor may be marginally installed, have a wiring issue or the system may have a fault.

gibbynd

Reaction score
Have you compared the vibration /noise to the sound of the antilock brake pump cycling? When I went through all my problems with the antilock pump system (related to faults in the wheel speed sensors) I triggered it lots of times and became quite familiar with the sound of the pump firing without it actually applying the brakes. Have you noticed if your traction control light momentarily blinks when you hear the noise.

The pump makes a constant high speed buzz that does not vary with speed.

Sharp turns have the wheels turning at markedly different speeds. One wheel speed sensor may be marginally installed, have a wiring issue or the system may have a fault.
This is not a buzz, but a low pitched grinding sound like 2 things rubbing together hard.

speedracernc

Reaction score
I had the rack replaced 4k miles ago. The vibration/grinding was gone. Unfortunately, it has come back on right hand turns. Same vibration.

that's really disappointing. I was hoping it was the rack and an easy fix.

Charon

Reaction score
Have you compared the vibration /noise to the sound of the antilock brake pump cycling?
It happens without the brakes applied, and while accelerating when it gets really bad.

that's really disappointing. I was hoping it was the rack and an easy fix.
Me too I felt it a week ago, just had my rack replaced 2 months ago.
It was smooth for a while though. It's either the racks are trash or the hardware for the rack loosens up. I'll check that when I get a chance.

Last edited:

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
It happens without the brakes applied, and while accelerating when it gets really bad.
The ABS pump is used as part of the traction control system. The TCS applies braking to individual wheels when it detects wheel slippage independent of your brake pedal input in an attempt to reduce what it thinks is wheel spin. If a portion of TCS is misbehaving (most often a wheel sensor) it drives the ABS pump in short cycles.
The reason I'm bringing this up is that the sound posted in a video of the "grinding noise" while turning, sounded to me like the ABS pump actuating. I previously had problems with my TCS when accelerating in turns.

Fixedwing17

Reaction score
So theoretically turning off the TCS should stop this from happening assuming that’s the issue?

I’m going to try it tomorrow morning and see if that does anything.

Rathiem

Reaction score
Posted this in the 2 other forum threads talking about this. I was seeing a lot of the same issues being described in this thread:

Wanted to wait a couple days before posting an update but this looks to be fixed for me. Ultimately it was a differential fluid issue, which is one of the shared fixes across the threads in this subject. I have the 3.92 rear end with LSD. What I’m struggling with is how difficult this has been to diagnose by the respective dealers. Dealer #2 was much better at diagnosis, listening and ultimately solving the problem. I equate it to just seeing more vehicles and having more tenured staff and mechanics than the 1st dealer. Tracing this all the way back I had zero issues for the first 16k miles or so. Towed a boat and launched and recovered at a very shallow ramp which had the rear end submerged for >5-10 mins. They shared that this was a potential introduction of moisture to the fluid, which makes sense cause I had the issue for the subsequent 3k miles and upon seeing the fluid they said it had bubbles in it but was not milky at all. You drive so often you become numb to changes over time but I can tell you this has also fixed the surging when letting off the brake or restarting from stop/start and the truck is more stable when crossing expansion areas on the highway like bridge transitions. They also suggested doing the rear differential fluid service every 30k miles anyway having seen other issues, especially those that tow more. Hoping this helps others experiencing the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
Posted this in the 2 other forum threads talking about this. I was seeing a lot of the same issues being described in this thread:

Wanted to wait a couple days before posting an update but this looks to be fixed for me. Ultimately it was a differential fluid issue, which is one of the shared fixes across the threads in this subject. I have the 3.92 rear end with LSD. What I’m struggling with is how difficult this has been to diagnose by the respective dealers. Dealer #2 was much better at diagnosis, listening and ultimately solving the problem. I equate it to just seeing more vehicles and having more tenured staff and mechanics than the 1st dealer. Tracing this all the way back I had zero issues for the first 16k miles or so. Towed a boat and launched and recovered at a very shallow ramp which had the rear end submerged for >5-10 mins. They shared that this was a potential introduction of moisture to the fluid, which makes sense cause I had the issue for the subsequent 3k miles and upon seeing the fluid they said it had bubbles in it but was not milky at all. You drive so often you become numb to changes over time but I can tell you this has also fixed the surging when letting off the brake or restarting from stop/start and the truck is more stable when crossing expansion areas on the highway like bridge transitions. They also suggested doing the rear differential fluid service every 30k miles anyway having seen other issues, especially those that tow more. Hoping this helps others experiencing the issue.

Limited slip clutch pack binding generally results in wheel hop/scuffing in a turn if the clutch additives are used up. It should also vary with speed of the turn. So you're usually hearing the result of tires dragging pavement rather than gear teeth binding. I had LSD on multiple vehicles and experienced the binding. It always required additives being refreshed earlier than scheduled maintenance when I towed more. It was also louder when scrubbing over concrete than asphalt.

It's difficult to reconcile LSD fluid change with the descriptions saying the frequency of the noise is the same regardless of speed and that it's always coming from the front of the vehicle.

mlvnsmly

Reaction score
POSSIBLE FIX TO PROBLEM

I've had the exact same issue since 10k miles, and currently have 34k. The dealer said RAM is aware of the issue, but there currently is no fix. It actually got embarrassing to have someone ride with me and ask what that noise was every time I turned right.

So here's the interesting thing. The factory Good Year tires are horrible, and I think most people on here have recognized that. I've been waiting as long as possible prior to winter for replacement, but I literally had zero tread in the center of two of them and needed new ones now. My tires are rotated every 5k, and they are not overinflated. Yesterday I had Discount Tire install a new set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S tires (285/45R22). As soon as I drove away and made my first right turn, I knew the problem was the tires...the noise was gone! The true test was coming to work this morning and driving through the parking ramp. This is where the noise (and grinding sensation) was the worst. There was zero noise from every turn I made.

Hopefully this helps and is the same problem others are having. I know at least one other person wrote about the noise going away after having the tires changed.

Good Luck!
This seems impossible, but I had the same experience. My grinding got worse and worse the lower my oe 22 inch tires got. I had grinding with right and left turns and at the end I could get it to grind for 10 seconds under the right conditions. My tires were like 3-4/32. The second I put on new Cooper tires, it felt like I was driving on glass. So much smoother even without turning. I've been driving for a week and haven't had a single grind (and I've been trying).

CDP110

Reaction score
I have a 2019 bighorn doing same thing. When I goTo back in my driveway I have to pull past my driveway wide and kind of turn backing in and I feel the same exact thing only on right turns or right partial turns for that matter

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I think I'm going to change my rear differential fluid and give it a shot. I'm glad that you mentioned the boat launch because mine did start doing this after I started going to a new boat launch that requires me to submerge the rear axle in order to float the boat. It makes sense to me. I know some people were saying that its the steering; but I swear that I'm feeling it from the rear.

LHarv

Reaction score
I've had this for a couple of months now. Apparently FCA is aware. I got a copy of a Star Report when I took it into the dealer.

speedracernc

Reaction score
[
Turned off my TCS today and did not have a shudder/grind turning right. I'm going to keep checking. I will include this the next time I take it in (I've got two FCA recalls in my mail stack).

I tried with the TCS off. It still did the grinding but it was less.

Users who are viewing this thread