5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas Tank Size - Is it Accurate?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I purchased my current Ram 33 gallon tank. I know the gauge was on E. When they drove to the gas station, they put 32.5 gallons in. He came back into the shop to shoe me the receipt.

kittyjo

Reaction score
This is the closest I’ve ever gotten to empty…
1645150220269.jpeg

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For me when the Range hits 10 mi/Low there is about 2 gallons left in the tank.

View attachment 120855
But why though? What's the point in running the tank so low? Obviously it's not just 1 person doing it, but I've never understood why people don't fill up sooner. In Germany they'll write you a ticket if you run out of fuel on the Autobahn, and I really wish they did that here. It annoys me to no end when there is traffic hazard because someone ran out of fuel which is completely avoidable. Maybe you guys can make sense of it. Is there an actual reason why people run it so low?

And on a side note. I have no idea what size tank I have, but it's not the 33 gallon since I don't see an optional tank size on my window sticker. I can't find any specs for my truck either. Every publication for tank sizes that I find only list 3.6L for the Quad Cab, so I don't know if the 5.7L has a different tank or not.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
But why though? What's the point in running the tank so low? Obviously it's not just 1 person doing it, but I've never understood why people don't fill up sooner. In Germany they'll write you a ticket if you run out of fuel on the Autobahn, and I really wish they did that here. It annoys me to no end when there is traffic hazard because someone ran out of fuel which is completely avoidable. Maybe you guys can make sense of it. Is there an actual reason why people run it so low?

And on a side note. I have no idea what size tank I have, but it's not the 33 gallon since I don't see an optional tank size on my window sticker. I can't find any specs for my truck either. Every publication for tank sizes that I find only list 3.6L for the Quad Cab, so I don't know if the 5.7L has a different tank or not.

Enter your VIN here

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I agree on that, as for tank size, I believe if not a 33, you likely have a 26 unless you have an E-Torque, which can be a 23.

Good link above to check for sure, using your vin and getting the build sheet. Make sure to go through the whole sheet, it may say 23 gallons, then show the optional 26 gallons in later pages because it's part of another package. I think you can use Control F and use that to search the whole sheet.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

5.7 gets a 26 gallon if you don't have eTorque, and 23 gallon if you do.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

1. people are poor and do not like to fill up often

2. what is your vin?
input it here after the vin=

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I only do it on the highway.

When the wife/kids need a break we use the rest areas since they are an easy off/on ramp without actually getting off the highway. They rarely have gas

The highway is very easy to map out gas stations. So I know exactly how far I can make it.

This maximizes driving time for us.

Last edited:

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1. people are poor and do not like to fill up often
LOL well that makes sense. I always tried to treat 1/2 tank as if it is empty. Instead of saying oh crap I need fuel when it's at 1/8 tank, think that at 1/2 and fill then instead.
The fill costs less each time that way too. Although, you're filling twice as often. At the end of the day filling from empty or from 1/2 tank, you're going to spend the same amount on fuel. Although I certainly understand the reluctance to fill from empty to full because it just seems worse. That's one of the reasons I avoid letting it get that low.

I only do it on the highway.

When the wife/kids need a break we use the rest areas since they are an easy off/on ramp without actually getting off the highway. They rarely have gas

The highway is very easy to map out gas stations. So I know exactly how far I can make it.

This maximizes driving time for us.
That makes sense. On a road trip, stopping frequently can be bothersome for most people. I don't typically go below 1/4 on a trip through. There may be a sign (or a known station) 15 miles away, but there's no guarantee that it isn't closed. Or maybe the exit is closed/blocked. If you've got a 1/4 tank or more you can miss that exit and not run out of fuel. If you're 20 miles to empty and were banking on that stop in 15 miles, you're screwed.

I don't like to drive a long time in one sitting anyway. It irritates my back, so I'll only go about 2 hours or so before I stop to stretch my legs and pee, grab a snack, refill my drink, etc. That works out to around 150 miles which is about 7.5 gallons. Doing that means I fill every other stop which is between 1/4 and 1/2 tank. I know some people will drive 4+ hours without stopping so they may want a bigger tank and to run it low, but I'd still recommend not going below 1/4 tank. Of course I don't really do road trips at all, so those frequent stops don't bother me.
My longest drive was for a deployment to the Mexico border. We convoyed there so I didn't do much of the driving. Beyond that my furthest drive is maybe Canada, which from NE Ohio isn't really that far. I went with a buddy to Minnesota back in the 90's but he drove the whole way out and back. Guess I'm not much of a road tripper.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get the My Ram app for your phone, sign up, sign in add vehicle and VIN, scroll to the left on the bottom menu and select Your Vehicle EQUIPMENT, will give you all the info attached to that VIN.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I found something interesting today, a post from the 33-gallon tank swap thread said if you have a 26-gallon tank, your Fuel capacity setting in the BCM should be at 98 liters (26 gallons = 98.4207 liters) so I looked at my Alfa file and it states Fuel Capacity (36-290 L): 93.000 Liters (93 liters = 24.568 gallons).

I think RAM set it up like that to have some cushion or reserve fuel to avoid people running out. Right now my low fuel light comes on at 50 miles DTE and the gauge is showing 1/4 tank. I plan to use Alfa and change it to 98 liters as my window sticker and build sheet both show a 26-gallon fuel tank and see how that affects the gauge and DTE miles along with low fuel light.

I changed it to 98 and i filled up Friday. When i usually fill up i will have about 300 or a little less than that like 290’s DTE. Friday i got 333 DTE. IMG_3145.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the 33-gal tank and wouldn't want anything smaller. I bought this truck to drive not sit in the garage only to be used as a hauling vehicle. The less time I spend stopping at gas pumps the happier I am. On my first fill I was at 1/4 tank, and it only took 22 gallons. I'll be filling for the second time later today when I get to about 1/8 to see how much it takes.

The only reason I see to have the smaller tank is if the owner is not driving the vehicle as much and only refill every two weeks or so. The most ridiculous reasons I've heard is the weight issue, if the weight of 7 gallons of gas is interfering with you using your truck, then you purchased the wrong truck not the wrong fuel tank.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the 33-gal tank and wouldn't want anything smaller. I bought this truck to drive not sit in the garage only to be used as a hauling vehicle. The less time I spend stopping at gas pumps the happier I am. On my first fill I was at 1/4 tank, and it only took 22 gallons. I'll be filling for the second time later today when I get to about 1/8 to see how much it takes.
No reason to be scared of gas stations. If you want to avoid them, maybe a truck isn't the right vehicle for you.

The only reason I see to have the smaller tank is if the owner is not driving the vehicle as much and only refill every two weeks or so. The most ridiculous reasons I've heard is the weight issue, if the weight of 7 gallons of gas is interfering with you using your truck, then you purchased the wrong truck not the wrong fuel tank.

70 lbs is 70 lbs. If you use your truck as a truck, sometimes payload matters.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Honestly would love a bigger tank than my 26 gallon, even though I work from home and only put 4,000 miles a year on her.

However, buying from the lot, you don't always have a choice, and at 25% off msrp, I decided to live with it. The one good thing about having the middle-sized tank is the less shocking price at fill up. At $4.59 for Costco 91 (still cheaper than other stations 87), I really wouldn't want to see the total with 33 gallons :)

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't like to drive a long time in one sitting anyway. It irritates my back, so I'll only go about 2 hours or so before I stop to stretch my legs and pee, grab a snack, refill my drink, etc.
Yep, not everyone travels the same. Great to have options.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Wow I can't imagine a truck with a tank that small. I wonder why they don't just build em all with the 33.
Because some people's trucks cannot handle the extra 60 ponds of gasoline. Their axels will snap and tires will blow out as they loose control driving down the road. 60 pounds is a killer...

Others believe they can't have a larger tank because it costs more to fill it. Yes, they are that smart. They can't fill before empty or just not fill all the way.

For me when the Range hits 10 mi/Low there is about 2 gallons left in the tank.

View attachment 120855
Haha! Well yes, with the great mileage I get sometimes, it's not that far off.😆

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Their axels will snap
vOP.gif

Yes, they are that smart

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You may not need/want the 33 gallon tank, but it will definitely help when you sell it. Part of the reason I got it on mine. The 26 gallon probably would've been fine for my uses.

Users who are viewing this thread