5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas Tank Size - Is it Accurate?

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ha ha. Yup. Been a few years since I had a bike. Do they not work like that anymore?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FCA made their mid-size SUV’s (WK2, WD) with a 24.6g tank.

No excuse to design DT with only 23g

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ha ha. Yup. Been a few years since I had a bike. Do they not work like that anymore?
Not any more, for most anyway. EFI with a fuel pump and fuel gauges/lights that are even less accurate than the ones in modern vehicles. :LOL:

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FCA made their mid-size SUV’s (WK2, WD) with a 24.6g tank.

No excuse to design DT with only 23g
I ordered an Etorque and didnt want the 23 gallon tank. Seems silly small. I would likely have been happy with a 26 gallon tank, but not an option for my build.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After all, some of us are terrified of gas stations. At least according to one member here. ;)
I can't think of any other reason to pay money for a "truck" with a 3.6, 3.21s, and a 33 gallon tank. Might as well get a Prius at that point. Probably get better payload from it, too. :cool:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Heck I remember the "good ol' days" when we didn't have a light, much less a countdown to empty. You had a needle, that was it. And a fun bonus, you could park on a hill to make the needle move up/down.

iu
Haha, true. The gas gauge didn't even work on my first car. I carried around a wooden dowel to use as a dipstick to get an idea of how much gas was left. And since I was a poor high school student, I always drove on the bottom half of the tank. Fun times.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually the "excuse" is range. IIRC most vehicles are designed with a tank that will yield approximately 300 miles. So depending on displacement, weight and/or gearing the tank can be smaller and still to meet that range.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I can't think of any other reason to pay money for a "truck" with a 3.6, 3.21s, and a 33 gallon tank. Might as well get a Prius at that point. Probably get better payload from it, too. :cool:
Hmmm...who has that truck? I certainly don't. ;)

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Actually the "excuse" is range. IIRC most vehicles are designed with a tank that will yield approximately 300 miles. So depending on displacement, weight and/or gearing the tank can be smaller and still to meet that range.
I said it last time, but if I could have ordered a 13 gallon tank, I would have.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Old dude awhile back who thinks silly things like payload in a truck don't matter to anyone.
My Limited has a payload rating of just over 1000 lbs. It's never been an issue for me. But I don't own anything I need to tow. I have hauled things in the bed, but nothing that weighs even half that. Payload really doesn't matter for me. If I ever decide to buy something this truck isn't rated for, or barely rated for, well that's the time I upgrade to something more capable. But for what I use my truck for, it's perfect.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My Limited has a payload rating of just over 1000 lbs. It's never been an issue for me. But I don't own anything I need to tow. I have hauled things in the bed, but nothing that weighs even half that. Payload really doesn't matter for me. If I ever decide to buy something this truck isn't rated for, or barely rated for, well that's the time I upgrade to something more capable. But for what I use my truck for, it's perfect.
Yep, and I bought mine to tow and haul. If I ever need to tow or haul something that I need to get a bigger truck for, I'll just not tow or haul it because I like my truck and I'm keeping it.

I don't want an HD or a stripped out Bighorn, but I need more than 1k payload.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a note regarding the fuel tank size and its relation to engine and build - there may be some correlation to ETorque vs non-ETorque HEMI if you have a short bed but both my 2019 non ETorque and my 2021 ETorque had/have the 26gal tank because they are 6.4 bed length.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
And on motorcycles, you had to reset your trip odometer to know how much gas you had, learn to use the reserve, and remember to turn the petcock on. I miss those days.

Luckily my bike has two trip settings, I use A for the chain (remind me to lube after 500 miles) and B for the fuel range, right around 115 miles should get my warning light.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You could select a no-cost option for 26gal tank on eTorque 2021 models. Not sure about 2022.
26 gallons was an option for the eTorque when I ordered my 22 in October, but they got rid of it soon after. I believe they did that for any configuration, but with all the changes they've made for 22s, who knows. It looks like a 6'4" bed now comes with a 33 gallon tank at no extra cost. That's as new as last week.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It didn't show up when I ordered mine. It was either the stock 23 gallon or 33. I ordered mine toward the end of January.

Ramjack

Reaction score
It didn't show up when I ordered mine. It was either the stock 23 gallon or 33. I ordered mine toward the end of January.
The 26 gal option for eTorque motors was not shown for 2021 when "Build(ing) Your Vehicle" on the Ram website. I bought my truck off from dealer inventory and fortunately they had the good sense to select the 26 gal option when ordering. I wasn't sure what I had for a few days until I climbed under to verify part numbers and also downloaded the build sheet.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Two stroke dirt bikes have fuel injection and electric start now. They don't have fuel gages, but they have a low premix oil warning light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/