5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas Tank Size - Is it Accurate?

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You may not need/want the 33 gallon tank, but it will definitely help when you sell it. Part of the reason I got it on mine. The 26 gallon probably would've been fine for my uses.
Lol. No.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No reason to be scared of gas stations. If you want to avoid them, maybe a truck isn't the right vehicle for you.

70 lbs is 70 lbs. If you use your truck as a truck, sometimes payload matters.
It's smart a**es like you that make members reluctant to post their opinions on these sites. Read the post, don't try to manipulate the poster's words to fit into whatever world it is that you live in.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's smart a**es like you that make members reluctant to post their opinions on these sites. Read the post, don't try to manipulate the poster's words to fit into whatever world it is that you live in.
I did read your post. You said something snotty, and you got what you got.

If you don't like it, keep your opinions to yourself.

Last edited:

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Here’s an easy way to check your fuel tank volume if desired.

Drive until the fuel light goes ON and then fuel the tank until the pump handle stops. Wait 30 seconds and pump again until handle trips and considered this full. Record this fuel amount. Also reset your average fuel mileage meter.

Subtract this fuel amount to fill from fuel light going ON from your truck tank size. Example…33 gal tank and 27 gal to fill from fuel light ON. There should be 6 gal left in the tank.

Now drive again until fuel light comes ON and only add what would have been left in the tank, which would be 6 gal in the example above. Also note what the average mileage meter is displaying. Now multiply the average fuel mileage times the fuel left in tank. You should be able to drive approximately that distance before the low fuel light goes ON again. This will give you a very good idea of tank size.

I’ve put just over 31 gal in the 33 gal tank towing. I know what my 33 gal tank holds and how far I can run it after fuel light low comes on.

As for damaging the fuel pump, I don’t believe this is a problem as the fuel going through the pump is also cooling it. I’ve run my 4th gen until 2 gal or less numerous times towing and never had a problem in 10ys @ 179k miles.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree on that, as for tank size, I believe if not a 33, you likely have a 26 unless you have an E-Torque, which can be a 23.

Good link above to check for sure, using your vin and getting the build sheet. Make sure to go through the whole sheet, it may say 23 gallons, then show the optional 26 gallons in later pages because it's part of another package. I think you can use Control F and use that to search the whole sheet.
Not true. I have the 5.7 and 23 gal tank. Its a 2019 though, so maybe the newer trucks are optioned differently. Also, like others I have never been able to put more than 20-21 gallons in at the pumps.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not true. I have the 5.7 and 23 gal tank. Its a 2019 though, so maybe the newer trucks are optioned differently. Also, like others I have never been able to put more than 20-21 gallons in at the pumps.

Noticed I said "likely" and "which can be" :), I made sure not to be definite since there is a chance of those rarer builds that don't follow the norm.

However, did you check your build sheet to be sure? The reason why I mention it is because for the longest time, I thought I only had a 23 gallon tank as well because I rarely got more than 21 gallons in the tank. Then I noticed my build sheet stated 26 gallons and went a bit further than the trip computer estimated, I wounded up getting over 24 gallons to confirm it.

A lot of us 26 gallon guys took some convincing since it appears that the mile counter is quite conservative.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
..... it appears that the mile counter is quite conservative.
Most car/truck manufacturers intentionally do this because there are some people who take the estimated DTE as gospel. If the truck says 15 miles to empty and they run out in 10 miles they get pissed and blame the mfg for running out of gas (not themselves for running it that low).
It's the same reason that on many vehicles the gauge just says "low" after a certain point instead of an actual number. Can't blame the mfg for being a few miles off if it just says "low" instead of giving a countdown.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My previous truck had a 23 gallon tank, and the most I could ever add was 19 gallons. Even using the 30 second wait method I couldn't add more. But the fuel gauge read above full. Eventually the pump would shut off after 16 or 17 gallons, leaving the tank about 7/8 full. This was reflected on the fuel gauge. And my range was reduce. That was the final straw. I didn't even want to mess with getting that fixed. I decided to trade it in when the trade-in values shot through the roof. Now with a 33 gallon tank I can drive to work all week and just fill up on the weekends. I loved that truck but having to stop for gas every 2-3 days was getting old. After all, some of us are terrified of gas stations. At least according to one member here. ;)

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Heck I remember the "good ol' days" when we didn't have a light, much less a countdown to empty. You had a needle, that was it. And a fun bonus, you could park on a hill to make the needle move up/down.

iu

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online