5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas mileage

RVTRKN

Reaction score
The 5500lbs is at the top of my limit with the 3:21, but if I were to actually hook up to that weight, I'd wish I had the 3:92.

Casull

Reaction score
The 5500lbs is at the top of my limit with the 3:21, but if I were to actually hook up to that weight, I'd wish I had the 3:92.

How is that the top of your limit? Payload might be an issue, but with the hemi the limit is about 8000 lbs.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Towing 5.5K is MY limit with the 3:21, not Rams limit with the 1500 Hemi, and if I was hooked up to 5500 lbs, I'd wish I had the 3:92. I haven't weighed my pontoon yet but I believe its under 4K lbs, it tows it nicely, but the MPG really drops. At 13900 GCWR for my 1500, the truck is at 5740 lbs (weighed empty) and 5500 lbs, thats only @ 2500 from the limit, so yes I'd want the 3:92.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Towing 5.5K is MY limit with the 3:21, not Rams limit with the 1500 Hemi, and if I was hooked up to 5500 lbs, I'd wish I had the 3:92. I haven't weighed my pontoon yet but I believe its under 4K lbs, it tows it nicely, but the MPG really drops. At 13900 GCWR for my 1500, the truck is at 5740 lbs (weighed empty) and 5500 lbs, thats only @ 2500 from the limit, so yes I'd want the 3:92.
My pontoon is over 5,000 lb, and I tow just fine, with a 3.21. Mileage drops in half, but I lose 4 MPG towing an empty utility trailer. As soon as you hook anything to these trucks the mileage drops tremendously. When I first got the boat, I had a V6 Ram. It towed fine, unless there was a steep grade, when it would downshift 3 gears. At 70+, it screamed in 5th gear. On the same grade the Hemi just downshifts one gear.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
With my prior boat, that weighed close to 5K, I towed it with my 2016 TRD 4X4 off-road Tacoma. I did it one time, and that was the last time, so I only towed it with my 2007 DRW C&C 3500. The V6 is capable, but they will scream while climbing any grade as you experienced. The 3:92 not only increases your GCWR from the 3:21, but its easier on mpg when pulling any load. As you noted, the milage dropped way off when pulling trailers with the 3:21's, because its easier to turn the 3:92's, it helps in mpg towing, but empty you lose the advantage that the 3:21's give you. I really like my 3:21's because I don't tow much anymore, and if I do, 5% of the time its only towing from storage to the lake and back (10 mile round trip).

jonnygobig

Reaction score
I have the 5.7 and for the life of me can’t get anything better than 13-14mpg. I bought it used but have done all the maintenance I can think of to help improve MPG’s. It has the stock 20’s with 33” nitto grapplers. Stock everything besides a muffle and resenator delete. Air pressure in tires are correct. Also has a bed cover.

PLEASE HELP!
Seems right as measured by truck…I can get 13-16 on highway, 70mph, 35s 6” lift, I feather MDS looking for the tiny eco light or draft off someone. I chose no stop start 48v system, paranoid about oil pick up timing.

It is all about the glide, let the tranny settle in. Otherwise, average 11-12.5 around town driving like I stole it…I also had 3rd Gen with mds, two different motors in that one, second one I put in was o mile rebuild(pinned seats, screened intakes) after I dropped a valve seat on original, that truck did about the same, both motors, maybe a little better than my 5th Gen surprisingly..K&N CAI helped.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just completed my first road trip, Arizona to Texas and back. Filled up 6 times. 3 tanks got in the high 14s mpg. The other 3 got high18s. Here's my question. Do I tell people I got 22 mpg or 23? ;) :D:D:D
Wear it with pride, man. For some of us, lower fuel economy is the goal.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems right as measured by truck…I can get 13-16 on highway, 70mph, 35s 6” lift, I feather MDS looking for the tiny eco light or draft off someone. I chose no stop start 48v system, paranoid about oil pick up timing.

It is all about the glide, let the tranny settle in. Otherwise, average 11-12.5 around town driving like I stole it…I also had 3rd Gen with mds, two different motors in that one, second one I put in was o mile rebuild(pinned seats, screened intakes) after I dropped a valve seat on original, that truck did about the same, both motors, maybe a little better than my 5th Gen surprisingly..K&N CAI helped.
I can not get anything better than 13.7 hwy and that’s me babying the hell out of it and I’m on 33’s 20x9

jonnygobig

Reaction score
I can not get anything better than 13.7 hwy and that’s me babying the hell out of it and I’m on 33’s 20x9
I am in Santa Cruz, sea level cool air on California winter blend 87.

Unless you are at altitude, Seems like it should do better, could be resonator delete or muffler, I am using standard air box with square K&N filter. At 2K rpm it could have a static head or turbulence or flow sensor is different location. I have standard exhaust still and I have not been able to find California legal cold air intake that would make a significant difference yet.

Keep me posted if you find anything cool or an eco tune, I need to improve too, gas is typically 5 bucks here.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am in Santa Cruz, sea level cool air on California winter blend 87.

Unless you are at altitude, Seems like it should do better, could be resonator delete or muffler, I am using standard air box with square K&N filter. At 2K rpm it could have a static head or turbulence or flow sensor is different location. I have standard exhaust still and I have not been able to find California legal cold air intake that would make a significant difference yet.

Keep me posted if you find anything cool or an eco tune, I need to improve too, gas is typically 5 bucks here.
Doesn't matter if it's CARB legal or not, no CAI will make a significant difference in gas mileage or performance

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get that kind of highway mileage with my TRX at 70-75 MPH.
Yea not TRX here lol I can’t for the life of me get better mpg I’ve gotten an alignment and had the wheels balanced again. I drive it pretty soft and best I can get it 13 or 13.7 hwy and city is like 9-11 mpg

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yea not TRX here lol I can’t for the life of me get better mpg I’ve gotten an alignment and had the wheels balanced again. I drive it pretty soft and best I can get it 13 or 13.7 hwy and city is like 9-11 mpg
There is no way you are actually getting 9-11 mpg in the city unless your truck is damaged or towing.

Users who are viewing this thread