5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas mileage

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From my experience, once any clutch starts slipping they are toast.

Ive had stock and southbend, but I dont like the southbend because way too stiff.

Just my opinion. Some might like it.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Its a long story, but I needed the extra holding power of the Dual Disk clutch. They make a quality clutch and I never had an issue with theirs with 40K+ miles on it. The long story doesn't belong in this MPG thread, but it was necessary to have additional holding power.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
In komiefornia, any time your pulling a trailer, you're not allowed in the left lane, and of course, 55 mph with a trailer.
Even though Michigan is a democrat run state, we have some freedoms. Pulling a trailer, you can drive the same 75MPH, as no trailer. I make sure all my trailer tires are speed rated.

Davidbt

Reaction score
Even though Michigan is a democrat run state, we have some freedoms. Pulling a trailer, you can drive the same 75MPH, as no trailer. I make sure all my trailer tires are speed rated.
I generally keep our speed around 65 mph when pulling our travel trailer. Just to help out the fuel mileage. Fortunately our trailer came with the Goodyear endurance tires that's rated for 85 I believe.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
65 MPH is a good safe speed pulling trailers with autos. (LT and cars) Semi trucks and trailers are safer at higher speeds ON THE OPEN ROAD. Our little trucks (any brands) with 5th wheel or bumper pull trailers are less safe then the Semi's, tire speed rating doesn't mean that an auto with trailer (LT and cars) can safely pull trailers at their speed rating. Have I pulled trailers higher than 65 ? Yes, but that was with quality tires. My favorite tire is the Michelin XPS Rib tire that are well constructed and made for trailers. I crossed interstate 40 (Route 66) from beginning to end at 21K GCW and had to slow down through Arizona and New Mexico, the interstate was so full of pot holes, the rough jerking on my 5th wheel scared the heck out of me, and that was with a high quality 5th wheel hitch.

6of36

Reaction score
65 MPH is a good safe speed pulling trailers with autos. (LT and cars) Semi trucks and trailers are safer at higher speeds ON THE OPEN ROAD. Our little trucks (any brands) with 5th wheel or bumper pull trailers are less safe then the Semi's, tire speed rating doesn't mean that an auto with trailer (LT and cars) can safely pull trailers at their speed rating. Have I pulled trailers higher than 65 ? Yes, but that was with quality tires. My favorite tire is the Michelin XPS Rib tire that are well constructed and made for trailers. I crossed interstate 40 (Route 66) from beginning to end at 21K GCW and had to slow down through Arizona and New Mexico, the interstate was so full of pot holes, the rough jerking on my 5th wheel scared the heck out of me, and that was with a high quality 5th wheel hitch.
It depends on what kind of trailer you are talking. I might not drive a travel trailer that fast, but my utility trailer, I have no problem towing over 80, and my boat trailer mid 70s.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Semis are not safer at higher speeds. That's why a lot of companies install speed limiters on their trucks. If you load your trailer properly, a 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer is every bit as "safe" as a semi. Bumper pulls can get a bit sketchy, and easier to screw up the tongue weight. Especially on the longer RVs.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Semis are not safer at higher speeds. That's why a lot of companies install speed limiters on their trucks. If you load your trailer properly, a 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer is every bit as "safe" as a semi. Bumper pulls can get a bit sketchy, and easier to screw up the tongue weight. Especially on the longer RVs.
IMHO, not true!! I've pulled boats, utility trailers, bumper pull camper trailers and 5th wheels. I've also drove many miles in a International LT and a Freightliner Semi pulling 40' containers and 53' trailers, Corporate America cares about MPG, thats the reason for the speed limiter. A Semi is by far better equipped to handle more than 80K GCW, just look at Australia where they have Road Trains pulling 4 or more trailers. So you have a Semi with a 53' trailer on the open road doing the speed limit at 85 MPH, is safer than our little trucks pulling 30K GCW, and some of those have cheap Chinese "will pop" tires that will come apart at 65 MPH, I'm sorry but MHOP is 65 MPH in a LT pulling whatever is legal to pull. I've done 70 MPH towing, but it doesn't mean I was just as safe at 65 MPH. An independent trucker will weigh the MPG vrs time to customer and just the speed accordingly.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
IMHO, not true!! I've pulled boats, utility trailers, bumper pull camper trailers and 5th wheels. I've also drove many miles in a International LT and a Freightliner Semi pulling 40' containers and 53' trailers, Corporate America cares about MPG, thats the reason for the speed limiter. A Semi is by far better equipped to handle more than 80K GCW, just look at Australia where they have Road Trains pulling 4 or more trailers. So you have a Semi with a 53' trailer on the open road doing the speed limit at 85 MPH, is safer than our little trucks pulling 30K GCW, and some of those have cheap Chinese "will pop" tires that will come apart at 65 MPH, I'm sorry but MHOP is 65 MPH in a LT pulling whatever is legal to pull. I've done 70 MPH towing, but it doesn't mean I was just as safe at 65 MPH. An independent trucker will weigh the MPG vrs time to customer and just the speed accordingly.
If people are pulling 30k gcw trailers with a 1500, no, that's not safe. So if that's what you are basing your opinion on, I would have to agree.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
A light truck is a 1 ton 3500/350 DRW, 3500/350 SRW, 3/4 ton 2500/250. I'd like to see a 1500/150 truck pulling at 30K GCW, that would be something.

vincentw56

Reaction score
From gas mileage to arguing about pulling trailers.

From what I've seen on here, in order to get good gas mileage, you need to keep the truck under 2000 RPMs. For me, I couldn't care less. I'll just have fun.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A light truck is a 1 ton 3500/350 DRW, 3500/350 SRW, 3/4 ton 2500/250. I'd like to see a 1500/150 truck pulling at 30K GCW, that would be something.
Considering this is a 1500 forum, not sure why we would be taking about HD trucks towing.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
According to Louisiana DMW, my 1500 is a 3/4 ton truck. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I generally keep our speed around 65 mph when pulling our travel trailer. Just to help out the fuel mileage. Fortunately our trailer came with the Goodyear endurance tires that's rated for 85 I believe.
This post openned the door.
I get @ 12 MPG towing my 6x12 Cargo trailer with my Harley TriGlide inside. And yes that’s at 65 MPH.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Mine is so low, I have wondered if there was something wrong with my truck. Luckily this thread has helped me see that is probably not the case, and I got more reinforcement by a happy coincidence on my vacation.

I was in the Philippines for a couple of weeks, and a relative had a new RAM Rebel and I got a chance to drive around the provinces, mostly 45kmh, about 28 mph around the town, your typical stop and go driving.

He was getting 5km/l average, which was about 12 mpg. He told me that was what he was getting for the last 1,000 km, he was hoping it would improve, I started laughing. Luckily for him his daily driver is a turbo diesel 4-cylinder Toyota Hilux that gets 30 mph city.

Davidbt

Reaction score
This post openned the door.
I get @ 12 MPG towing my 6x12 Cargo trailer with my Harley TriGlide inside. And yes that’s at 65 MPH.
Why you want to put it on me??? Why, why, why?? I was trying to go along with the fuel mileage. Pulling our 5,500lb travel trailer, @ 65 mph we average 11.1 mpg. Anything over and it eats fuel, and since we live in Arizona, anything much slower, in my experience, will get you run over. If I still had my 3500 Cummins and had the right tires on the trailer, I would probably be comfortable doing 70 or 75.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Of course, 1500 is 3/4 of 2000...math says they're right.
:unsure:
The govt always uses their own formula to figure out how to screw people over, so that makes sense. Stupid that I have to pay like $175 to renew my registration.

Davidbt

Reaction score
The govt always uses their own formula to figure out how to screw people over, so that makes sense. Stupid that I have to pay like $175 to renew my registration.
Well my registration here in Arizona is just over $500 for one year. Just over $900 if I pay for two years. My 05' TJR was $150 or so for 5 years.

Users who are viewing this thread