5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas mileage

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You should take it back to the dealership and say it's broke then.
No way you are legit getting 9 mpg unless you somehow slapped 200k miles on your truck and have a gunked up engine.
yea honestly idk what it is. the truck runs clean no issues. ive cleaned the injectors and changed spark plugs. idk what else i can do.

im really considering a new 5th gen with eco diesel or something more fuel efficent since i dont tow or anything to crazy

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
yea honestly idk what it is. the truck runs clean no issues i can tell of also cleaned the injectors and shanged spark plugs. idk what else i can do.

im really considering a new 5th gen with eco diesel or something more fuel efficent since i dont tow or anything to crazy
What does hand calc show?

Av1

Reaction score
yea honestly idk what it is. the truck runs clean no issues i can tell of also cleaned the injectors and shanged spark plugs. idk what else i can do.

I haven't followed the thread closely. Are your fuel economy calculations done by hand? Also, have you accurately corrected your speedometer for tire size?

If the answer to either or both of the above is no, then it doesn't matter. The data will not be accurate.

The vehicle fuel economy displays are notoriously inaccurate. Sometimes they are close and sometimes they are not. It's the changing delta that is the problem. It often changes with each fill up to a degree. That is not unique to RAM. It's common among all vehicles. I know folks say their vehicle indication is always the same or very close, but that hasn't been my experience across many vehicles for many years of tracking fuel economy.

Once you have accurate data to compare, the next step is to make sure there are no mechanical or tire pressure issues.

The last thing, and most important in my opinion, is your driving. You can make an immense difference in fuel economy just by how you drive. That does not mean to drive slow everywhere. Throttle control is everything. It takes practice. Nobody wants to hear their driving may be contributing the most to fuel economy woes, but it often does. I learned throttle control from riding motorcycles. High sides are very unforgiving to your bones.

As for me, I track fuel economy for the data. It's fun.

I know my Ram is not very fuel efficient and there are a ton of people whose driving habits, altitude, and terrain get much better numbers that I do. But I didn't buy it for the fuel economy. It wasn't even a passing thought.

Peter41692

Reaction score
Shoulda got 3.21’s😆

Sorry I couldn’t resist.

I would say your likely not real far off this time of the year with those tires. Best I see is in warmer summer temps when I average 17-18. Late fall-late spring I easily drop 2-3 mpg. Very few g,,et the rated MPG on the sticker unless driving perfect conditions at a lower to moderate highway speed. Seems like 55 mph is the sweet spot which I NEVER drive at.
A recent trip to the west coast of Florida. 21 Laramie Hemi ET, 392, 4x4, 6.4" box. Screenshot 2024-01-01 12.41.28 PM.png
You do realize you can calculate actual miles driving based on error percentage of the tire size when doing hand calculating

Av1

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been posted already. If so, disregard.

www.fueleconomy.gov is a fantastic source of fuel economy information.

You could spend hours reading if you are so inclined.

Peter41692

Reaction score
Nice. What speed and did you use the cruise control?
No cruise control. From Stuart, Fl to the west coast the roads (70 and 72) are 2 lanes with limited passing lanes.
The speed limit average is around 50mph. I would say my average is 62-65 and on an occasion 75+ when passing multiple trucks.

f.zanetti

Reaction score
If it serves as a comparison, I just completed a 2000 mile trip with my brand new 2024 Limited 5.7eTorque and averaged ~17mpg without cruise control and traveling between 70-80 mph with 5 occupants in the truck.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I can easily get 20 mpg but what fun is that? The Hemi likes to be exercised and I’m more than happy to feed the throttle.😆

This is mine over the last 4 1/2 months.

IMG_0411.jpeg

jonnygobig

Reaction score

AV 1 is right if there was an order of
If it serves as a comparison, I just completed a 2000 mile trip with my brand new 2024 Limited 5.7eTorque and averaged ~17mpg without cruise control and traveling between 70-80 mph with 5 occupants in the truck.
this sounds comparable to my 14-15 hiway 2019, 5.7 no Etorq, also 392 on 35” KO, 6” lift. Much worse in town. Basically runs by the hour. Wish I had 33 gallons…

Fastxn

Reaction score
So I'm averaging around 17 mpg. No complaints, I knew it wasn't a Prius. Full size truck, 4 wd, big Hemi V8. So....... just read a review in Car & Driver of the Chevy Colorado ZR2. Turbo 4, smaller truck, 16mpg. Now that would make me complain!! I feel better!:D

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Averaged 17.3 on a recent 3000 mile road trip from St Louis to Green Valley AZ. About the same as my last truck. Mostly 75 mph highway driving. Pretty strong wind working against me on the way down. There were several tanks that approached 19. When I manually calculate the truck's computer normally reads about 1/2 mpg better than what I get hand calculation.

IMG_3168.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread