5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas mileage

23RAM

Reaction score
So I'm averaging around 17 mpg. No complaints, I knew it wasn't a Prius. Full size truck, 4 wd, big Hemi V8. So....... just read a review in Car & Driver of the Chevy Colorado ZR2. Turbo 4, smaller truck, 16mpg. Now that would make me complain!! I feel better!:D
I'm happy with my V8 mileage too. I have a feeling the Hurricane twin turbo is going to give worse real world mileage with the turbos spinning up a lot. I get better mileage in my SUV with a V6 than a friends similar SUV with a turbo 4 since his turbo is spinning up most of the time sucking more fuel.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm happy with my V8 mileage too. I have a feeling the Hurricane twin turbo is going to give worse real world mileage with the turbos spinning up a lot. I get better mileage in my SUV with a V6 than a friends similar SUV with a turbo 4 since his turbo is spinning up most of the time sucking more fuel.

I think it's only going to be rated 1mpg higher overall over the Hemi, agree that real world it's mpg could actually be lower than the Hemis. The standard Hurricane does make a bit more power, though not sure why it's tow and payload rating is lower than the 5.7L.

The real reason for the Hurricane isn't CAFE like some think, joining Stellantis with their large portfolio of more efficient small engines fixed that. FIAT-Chrysler no longer needed to buy carbon credits from Tesla after Stellantis merger/purchase.

The reason for the Hurricane is emission, which is half of that of the 5.7L Hemi. It's the reason why GM is spending billions overhauling their small block V8s for the future, which I think was the better strategy for full size trucks over smaller turbo motors. Even Ford is still keeping their V8s around. Yet RAM, the company known for their Hemi V8 is dropping them, interesting to see how that pans out.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Turbos only "spin up" if you are heavy on the throttle. It's takes exhaust gas velocity to spool a turbo. Which is why you can't spool a turbo revving in neutral. Fuel mileage will really depend on driving style.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think it's only going to be rated 1mpg higher overall over the Hemi, agree that real world it's mpg could actually be lower than the Hemis. The standard Hurricane does make a bit more power, though not sure why it's tow and payload rating is lower than the 5.7L.

The real reason for the Hurricane isn't CAFE like some think, joining Stellantis with their large portfolio of more efficient small engines fixed that. FIAT-Chrysler no longer needed to buy carbon credits from Tesla after Stellantis merger/purchase.

The reason for the Hurricane is emission, which is half of that of the 5.7L Hemi. It's the reason why GM is spending billions overhauling their small block V8s for the future, which I think was the better strategy for full size trucks over smaller turbo motors. Even Ford is still keeping their V8s around. Yet RAM, the company known for their Hemi V8 is dropping them, interesting to see how that pans out.
Pure speculation as to why towing capacity and payload are down. But really, if you are regularly towing close to 12k lbs, you'd be better off stepping up to a HD truck actually designed for that. And 99% of 1500 owners will never get close to max tow rating.

The base curb weight is higher on the 25 model year which would effect both payload and towing capacity over earlier models

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240128-082346.png
    Screenshot_20240128-082346.png
    146.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240128-082424.png
    Screenshot_20240128-082424.png
    99.6 KB · Views: 6

Ready Go

Reaction score
Turbos only "spin up" if you are heavy on the throttle. It's takes exhaust gas velocity to spool a turbo. Which is why you can't spool a turbo revving in neutral. Fuel mileage will really depend on driving style.
I feel like this is incorrect.

Anytime the engine is running it's producing exhaust flow, therefore it's spinning the turbo (the turbo isn't "clutched").

There doesn't have to be a "torque" against the turbo to spool it up per say.

The reason turbos have blow off valves is to either dump or recirculate the boosted intake air when the throttle body is closed.

Guys at car JDM car meets are revving their turbo cars all the time to spool up and dump the pressure to get that huge "pshhhhh" sound while in neutral.

...or, maybe my coffee hasn't kicked in yet and I'm wrong🤔

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I feel like this is incorrect.

Anytime the engine is running it's producing exhaust flow, therefore it's spinning the turbo (the turbo isn't "clutched").

There doesn't have to be a "torque" against the turbo to spool it up per say.

The reason turbos have blow off valves is to either dump or recirculate the boosted intake air when the throttle body is closed.

Guys at car JDM car meets are revving their turbo cars all the time to spool up and dump the pressure to get that huge "pshhhhh" sound while in neutral.

...or, maybe my coffee hasn't kicked in yet and I'm wrong🤔
While the turbos may be spinning, you can't build boost in neutral. So no blow off valve sounds. If they are doing that, they are in drive and brake staling or have a two step. I've owned and modified a few turbo cars.

Ready Go

Reaction score
While the turbos may be spinning, you can't build boost in neutral. So no blow off valve sounds. If they are doing that, they are in drive and brake staling or have a two step. I've owned and modified a few turbo cars.
My coffee is starting to kick in, so I'll go with that🙂
Now once my Schlitz kicks in later, I may have to refute that claim🤣
Guess I've been without a turbo car for too long..uh oh💰

Reaction score
late to the party..... stock everything with the stock tire size 275 /55 r20 i got 23 mpg highway at 65 with the cruse on pretty flat run 130 miles. i do not have 4wd. i was happy totally blown away. i get around 18 city taking it easy. my friend gets 13 in his suburban. really for what you have (395 hp) that's not bad. it takes energy in the form of gasoline to make power. i have a friend with a eagle talon with a 4 cylinder pushing 800 hp getting 8 mpg.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score

These modern turbo poppers are designed to be in boost nearly all the time. I watched my EcoBoost for years on a full set of gauges. Even when it had stock turbos and tuning it was pulling 1-3 psi on the highway on flat (relative for Colorado, could maybe do better in Florida) ground. Only time I’d see vacuum is coasting… sometimes could get 0psi on perfectly level ground under 65.

If I could keep my boost under 4psi then mpg would be halfway decent. Bigger turbos actually made it a slightly easier to stay out of boost, but not much.

But ya, I’d agree, in General, the gates are fully open at idle or neutral if they are controlled by ecm/pcm as they would be on a modern stock vehicle.

Though 3.5. EcoBoost would actually close the gates and amusingly peg a little boost on very cold starts.

And aftermarket turbos are going to be way bigger than the micro units OEMs use in twin turbo setups - so there probably wasn’t enough exhaust velocity near idle to spin one of those honkers.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yeah, sound about right, my 2.7L Ecoboost would be in vacuum only off throttle, it always had some pressure even at the lightest of throttle input.

As with most turbo engines, they are either Eco or Boost. You can have power or mpg, but not both at the same time.

I will say, I recently rented a 2019 Honda C-RV 2.4L for short trip and wow, the fuel economy for small-mid size crossover even when driven in slightly aggressive manner was impressive with the fuel economy I was getting, with passengers & 4 big suitcases plus additional luggage. This was a 2.4L naturally aspirated I4, I originally thought it was a turbo. Something about the simplicity of a Japanese 2.0L or larger NA engine I really like for efficiency and durability. Too bad they are going away for even smaller turbos to meet efficiency requirements.

Last edited:

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why buy a large full size V8 pick up and then cry about mileage?
I don't get it,
I don’t know who is crying but for me I am not meeting the claims of mpg RAM claims and no where close. So as a new member I wondered if it was normal to be off the mark as bad as I am. I understand a lot of things come into play for mpgs but I generally assumed I could get better #’s . But I’ve put that to rest and next full size pickup I buy I will keep it in mind

Ready Go

Reaction score
All I know is...my 2023 Laramie G/T was totalled...and saved my a$$ when I got full speed rear-ended while at a full stop!!

I will always have a full size for traveling now..and this Hemi cracks 17-18mpg without any issue. I can get 20mpg in the summer with just a little effort, and have gotten 23.5mpg with a lot of effort..but I have ZERO complaints about this "heavy pig" mpg or safety wise!👍

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
EPA ratings are difficult to be duplicated by an owner as there are too many variables, IMHO. I’m just glad that I can get even close to the mileage figures as they are at best, a guideline.

I knew mileage would suffer with 3.92 gears as compared to 3.21 on the highway, rpm’s just are higher = more fuel consumed. I did not care as the truck had what I wanted on it option wise and when I bought there were not many end of year 2023’s left.

If I had specifically ordered the truck I likely would have gotten 3.21 gears and the 6’4” bed. My usage is appx 50% Home Depot/Lowes and groceries, as well as the balance being longer highway trips.

Lastly, I tend to purchase thinking of resale as I don’t keep a vehicle longer than 6-8 years with many being just 2-3 (life happens). In that case, 3.92 gears seems to be more attractive to peeps who really “use” their trucks, especially to tow or want to lift.

runamuck

Reaction score
on my '19 laramie 1500 ccsb 4x4 3.92 8 speed I nearly always got 20 on the highway 70-75 usually. I got 8.5-10 towing our 28' 6000# travel trailer. usually 68-69 mph. my '22 laramie ccsb 4x4 dsl gets 19/20 on the highway and 11-12 towing our 10,000# 5th wheel. I stay under 70.

6of36

Reaction score
I don’t know who is crying but for me I am not meeting the claims of mpg RAM claims and no where close. So as a new member I wondered if it was normal to be off the mark as bad as I am. I understand a lot of things come into play for mpgs but I generally assumed I could get better #’s . But I’ve put that to rest and next full size pickup I buy I will keep it in mind
It's right in your vehicle description. You drive a limited. 1,000 pounds heavier than test vehicle. High drag tires. Pod lights, adding drag. Leveled truck. Aftermarket exhaust. I forget what else is in the description, but you have modded the truck, and every one can effect mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread