5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas mileage

Jarrod32

Reaction score
Yup. I normally set the cruise as soon as my speed is achieved . Unless I’m in heavy traffic of course

I do the same, accelerating up to my desired speed quickly - but doing so myself, rather than resuming the cruise control and allowing it to accelerate itself. But...I accelerate to a couple MPH over my desired cruise speed before setting the cruise. Then I use the button to drop my speed a couple MPH. Doing so causes the ECO mode to kick in...if you are on favorable terrain I find that it holds the ECO mode better than just setting the cruise at your desired speed. Same with resuming...accelerate up to a couple MPH over your cruise speed, then hit resume and let it drop those couple MPH.

Took a drive today across southern Nebraska...all two-lane highway, speed limit of 65. My cruise was set for 67. The first 70 miles or so had a light side wind that had little effect. Was running just under 23 MPG. Then turned to travel east and was suddenly driving into a stiff headwind. Watched the MPG slowly and steadily drop. Without the wind, I think I would have averaged around 22 MPG.
1695349289193.png

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I do the same, accelerating up to my desired speed quickly - but doing so myself, rather than resuming the cruise control and allowing it to accelerate itself. But...I accelerate to a couple MPH over my desired cruise speed before setting the cruise. Then I use the button to drop my speed a couple MPH. Doing so causes the ECO mode to kick in...if you are on favorable terrain I find that it holds the ECO mode better than just setting the cruise at your desired speed. Same with resuming...accelerate up to a couple MPH over your cruise speed, then hit resume and let it drop those couple MPH.

Took a drive today across southern Nebraska...all two-lane highway, speed limit of 65. My cruise was set for 67. The first 70 miles or so had a light side wind that had little effect. Was running just under 23 MPG. Then turned to travel east and was suddenly driving into a stiff headwind. Watched the MPG slowly and steadily drop. Without the wind, I think I would have averaged around 22 MPG.
View attachment 167781
Sounds pretty close to what I do. A strong wind plays a part in mpg for these trucks. They punch a big hole in the air. With a tail wind, it’s like a Prius. But going Into the wind at 80mph, it’s like I have 37’s.

Squatch79

Reaction score
Are Those tires E rated? Right now I have LT275/65R-20 PIRELLI SCORPION ALL TERRAIN PLUS E and I'm looking at getting some lighter and slightly shorter (60R) tires and going down from my current 3.5" lift to a front level or 2" lift for the front. I love the look and ride but can't justify the gas for just having fun with no practical use
They are XL rated I think. I don’t do a whole lot of off-roading to need a 10 or 12 ply tire. Just need to get around the deer lease some and run a few forest service roads. I’ve got a 94 Jeep YJ for the more “sketch” stuff.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A huge part. Strong headwind? -2 MPG. Strong tailwind? +2 MPG.
Did a ride to Wilkes Barre Pa from Sea level against a head wind.
16.30 going, 25.74 coming home
average 19.83 between the 2, November of last year.

The 25.74 is the best mpg but is under false circumstances. I was actually thinking something was wrong with the Ram when I calculated the 16.30, felt a lot better after the return mpg and averaged the 2. I get plenty of 20 mpg on highway driving. Happy mpg with flat and straight.

Jarrod32

Reaction score
Did a ride to Wilkes Barre Pa from Sea level against a head wind.
16.30 going, 25.74 coming home
average 19.83 between the 2, November of last year.
From sea level...Wiles Barre is 525' above sea level. I have wondered how much of an impact gradual elevation changes have on mileage...

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Driving the speed limit for over 2,000 miles, just to prove a point and pi$$ people off.
You got game bro ! I love it !
Was your wife with you? mine would have murdered me.
He's got 3.21 gears and his average speed was 46 mph.
Unless he was going uphill I would expect mpg like that.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Driving the speed limit for over 2,000 miles, just to prove a point and pi$$ people off.
Guess as long as he's in the right lane and using proper driving etiquette, no one should be angry. On the other hand, I'll drive 85 and enjoy it. And let the Comma do all the work.

Last edited:

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guess as long as he's in the left lane and using proper driving etiquette, no one should be angry. On the other hand, I'll drive 85 and enjoy it. And let the Comma do all the work.

Sit in the middle lane, pi$$ everyone off and chill.

Yea, no.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Well I'll let you know how many honks, flip offs, move the &%$# over comments and guns pointed at me. When I'm done with my trip, that will be over 4.5K miles, I'll post them. And no I'm not taking the wife.

BrandonSmith

Reaction score
24 mpg over 2200 miles. Probably 70% highway. Drive speed limit. Coast to stops. That’s it.

View attachment 167842
I’m quoting my own post for reference.

Here’s the thing though, I believe the average mpg display is a rolling average of around 1500-2000 miles. I say this because I drove 1000 miles from TX to SC and averaged 18.7 mpg. Over the next 1200 miles I’ve had multiple tanks of fuel average 20-24 mpg. It is mathematically impossible for the entire average to be 24.

Also, when I say “drive the speed limit” that doesn’t mean rigidly stand my ground and rid myself of all common sense. Most roads I drive are 4 lane, and the two lanes I drive are back roads with little traffic. If someone needs past me, I let them past or speed up some.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I'll be hand calculating at each fill up, as well as reporting the EVIC numbers reset only at the start of the trip. My first tank will be 3/4 tank of premium with a real good injector cleaner in the tank, after that it will 87 octane all the way. If I run into regular at 85 octane I have an octane booster to bring up it up, hopefully to 87.

Users who are viewing this thread