5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas mileage

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure on how everyone drives their trucks but I'm getting 18 to 19mpg in the city and 25 to 27 mpg on long trips. I have the 3.92 gears and the eco mode that kicks in when needed. I don't do more then 70mph on the long trips and I also have a bed cover. I don't get into it hard driving around town at all and I'm not hauling anything that would affect fuel mileage. Pulling my 37 foot travel trailer I can get 11mpg but its usually at 10.5mpg. This is all hand calculated not on the dash. My dash readings are close thought. It is completely stock also.
I drive my truck to enjoy it. I didn't pay for a Hemi to not use it

Davidbt

Reaction score
I've never gotten the gas mileage thing. Maybe it's from being a 2nd generation California Okie. Never really paid enough attention in school to really learn much. Was very fortunate to be led to the construction trades and now have two pensions coming in, and feel even more fortunate to have been able to retire to South East Arizona. Don't drive every day like the poor working stiffs, about once a week. Just put 275/70/18 Cooper Dicoverer At3 XLT's on my truck and averaging 14 around my little town and when I do get up on I-10, I'm averaging around 17.5 mpgs. Pretty damn happy with this truck, and I've owned two 6.7 Cummins.

Davidbt

Reaction score
I've never gotten the gas mileage thing. Maybe it's from being a 2nd generation California Okie. Never really paid enough attention in school to really learn much. Was very fortunate to be led to the construction trades and now have two pensions coming in, and feel even more fortunate to have been able to retire to South East Arizona. Don't drive every day like the poor working stiffs, about once a week. Just put 275/70/18 Cooper Dicoverer At3 XLT's on my truck and averaging 14 around my little town and when I do get up on I-10, I'm averaging around 17.5 mpgs. Pretty damn happy with this truck, and I've owned two 6.7 Cummins.
I would just like to clarify that I'm a very proud 1st generation California Okie. Had a couple beers in my tummy last night 😁 My mom and dad were both born in Oklahoma and met in California in the 50's

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Both me and the DW are second generation Californian's, we escaped Comifornia in 2018 and retired in 2022. We escaped to Kentucky where gas is $1.00 cheaper a gallon, so I don't care to much for getting the best mpg. But the 4K mile trip I'm going on will be critical to get the best mpg with the Hemi.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Both me and the DW are second generation Californian's, we escaped Comifornia in 2018 and retired in 2022. We escaped to Kentucky where gas is $1.00 cheaper a gallon, so I don't care to much for getting the best mpg. But the 4K mile trip I'm going on will be critical to get the best mpg with the Hemi.
You did the right thing getting away from commifornia.

Davidbt

Reaction score

I retired officially January 1st 2019. I joke that it cost me a kidney, because I lost my right kidney to cancer March 14th, 2019. Anyways, we moved to South East Arizona in November 2019 and couldn't be happier. At the time, diesel was 2.39 a gallon, and regular was 3.39. Now it stays $1 more than regular, which hovers around 3.75. We're leaving on March 2nd for a trip to Mississippi, and then back through Santa Fe, New Mexico before home. We'll be pulling a 26' travel trailer.

BrandonSmith

Reaction score
25 mpg average in a week of commuting. My commute is 15 miles on a back highway. Flat. 55 mph. One stop sign along the way.

19 mpg on the interstate at 70 mph.

Outside of strictly commuting, I average 19 mpg and typically have to drive 10 miles to do anything (groceries, gym, gas, work, etc.) since I live in the sticks.

Davidbt

Reaction score
I retired officially January 1st 2019. I joke that it cost me a kidney, because I lost my right kidney to cancer March 14th, 2019. Anyways, we moved to South East Arizona in November 2019 and couldn't be happier. At the time, diesel was 2.39 a gallon, and regular was 3.39. Now it stays $1 more than regular, which hovers around 3.75. We're leaving on March 2nd for a trip to Mississippi, and then back through Santa Fe, New Mexico before home. We'll be pulling a 26' travel trailer.
Dang beer, we're leaving October 2nd for Mississippi 🍺

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
I am one of those that lays into the pedal pretty hard. I enjoy using the power of the HEMI and don't really worry about my MPG's. That said, I got 15.7 mpg @ my last fill up yesterday. I do primarily mixed driving, mostly in town with long straightaways and ~45mph average. I try to limit my idling and don't use the remote start.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
True, however I spend an hour at lunch in my truck many days and idling that long actually affects it quite a lot. As for the remote start, I don't use it because I either have no use, or it is not convenient. It is never cold enough here to need it and on those (MANY) hot days, it is either in my garage, or in my parking spot at work (too far away to remote start anyway).

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
Might get some hate but people really need to stop complaining about gas when owning trucks. Otherwise go buy a electric truck, a V6 or no truck at all.
God for bid they put bigger tires, or a lift/level and still complain.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
The 4K mile trip I'm taking, is to Comifornia. A family member that lives in Burbank Ca. just reported she's paying over $6.00 a gallon. So I'm setting up my bed to lock in 3ea 5 gallon gas cans to limit the amount of fuel purchased in SoCal. I used my gas app to confirm the prices, I never saw any gas below $5.00 in Comifornia, I'm currently paying $3.15 a gallon.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Might get some hate but people really need to stop complaining about gas when owning trucks. Otherwise go buy a electric truck, a V6 or no truck at all
God for bid they put bigger tires, or a lift/level and still complain.
This might be a shock, but the V6 doesn't really get much better fuel economy

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
This might be a shock, but the V6 doesn't really get much better fuel economy
hm.... i disagree for my point of this topic. For what people complain about here and what they look for in MPG is what the V6 gets. i had a 2020 warlock v6 2x4 and i averaged 21-22mpg. As of 1 month ago i now have the 2023 bighorn v8 4x4 and now average 16-17mpg

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I know its not a vehicle, but I bought a boat with 4.3 V6 Mercruiser in/out drive, I actually got worse Gallons Per Hour (marine MPG) than the 305 V8, unless I decided to cruise just above plaining speed. When I'm with the group of boats I'd normally be with on Lake Mohave, I'd have to run my V6 a little over 3/4 throttle to keep up with their V8's thus poor GPH.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
hm.... i disagree for my point of this topic. For what people complain about here and what they look for in MPG is what the V6 gets. i had a 2020 warlock v6 2x4 and i averaged 21-22mpg. As of 1 month ago i now have the 2023 bighorn v8 4x4 and now average 16-17mpg
So you are comparing a 2wd V6 to a 4x4 V8 in saying the V6 got better mileage. Obviously a 2wd vehicle will get better gas mileage than a 4x4.

Users who are viewing this thread