5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas mileage

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'll be hand calculating at each fill up, as well as reporting the EVIC numbers reset only at the start of the trip. My first tank will be 3/4 tank of premium with a real good injector cleaner in the tank, after that it will 87 octane all the way. If I run into regular at 85 octane I have an octane booster to bring up it up, hopefully to 87.
Where do you see 85 octane? I've never seen less than 87.

Jako

Reaction score
From sea level...Wiles Barre is 525' above sea level. I have wondered how much of an impact gradual elevation changes have on mileage...

Can't say what impact gradual elevation has and from my recall it was up and down along with twists and turns.

Synergy
The interaction of two or more agents or forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects.

What effect does a head wind and elevation have together?

Do know I got my best MPG on flat and straight. Probably along with speed limit on I 95.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
When you run across the 85 octane, the option, if you don't have an octane booster, is you have to pump premium, or the middle option if its there. Your fuel budget goes to hell if you run into it a lot. I'll be running I-40 most of the way, both ways, as I've done several times in the past. But only one run from the West Coast to Tennessee with the wife's Highlander, the others were in my 3500 CTD or a Semi with a CTD. I don't remember if I ever ran across 85 octane on that route, but if I do, I have the booster.

Jarrod32

Reaction score
There you go @theblet. Way to start another gear ratio war. 😁 I'll stick with my 3.92's and pull my travel trailer like a BOSS!!!
It's a trade we know we make when we make our choice. I have 3.92, and know I'm giving up some MPGs. But I do enough towing that I am willing to make that trade. That's why we have options as buyers...and it is a good thing.

BrandonSmith

Reaction score
If you take the minute to understand why lower octane is standard at higher elevations you will see there is no reason to freak out about it.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
If your driving through after filling your tank, there's a good chance you'll be at a lower elevation. Now if you lived in the area, you might have a point.

Jarrod32

Reaction score
I do the same, accelerating up to my desired speed quickly - but doing so myself, rather than resuming the cruise control and allowing it to accelerate itself. But...I accelerate to a couple MPH over my desired cruise speed before setting the cruise. Then I use the button to drop my speed a couple MPH. Doing so causes the ECO mode to kick in...if you are on favorable terrain I find that it holds the ECO mode better than just setting the cruise at your desired speed. Same with resuming...accelerate up to a couple MPH over your cruise speed, then hit resume and let it drop those couple MPH.

Took a drive today across southern Nebraska...all two-lane highway, speed limit of 65. My cruise was set for 67. The first 70 miles or so had a light side wind that had little effect. Was running just under 23 MPG. Then turned to travel east and was suddenly driving into a stiff headwind. Watched the MPG slowly and steadily drop. Without the wind, I think I would have averaged around 22 MPG.
View attachment 167781
Took the same drive today. Had a light tailwind just about the whole way. I did take a short drive off route (had to go to the good meat store and get a fajita kit and some bacon). If anything, that should have hurt my mileage a bit. Pulled 24.1 for the trip today, about 3 MPG better than the other day with the strong headwind.

1695687145863.png

RVTRKN

Reaction score
2200 miles in two days, estimate 21 mpg, but I'll post all the actual numbers in a week when I get back. Now I have to make it back home.

O'Town Ram

I know less and less about more and more
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just returned from a trip to the NC mountains from Orlando. A new truck to me so I wanted to see the numbers. I do not drive with fuel mileage in mind so take it as it is.
Stock drivetrain, stock wheels/tires. 89 octane fuel.
1546.6 total miles, about 1100 of them highway. Cruise set at 81mph (2300 rpm) most of the time on the highway.
About 350 miles on 45mph mountain roads ( a lot of the BR Parkway). The rest in town driving.

87.92 gallons used = 17.59 mpg. Tripmeter said 18.6
Total time 31.51 for an average of 49mph for the trip.

6of36

Reaction score
Just returned from a trip to the NC mountains from Orlando. A new truck to me so I wanted to see the numbers. I do not drive with fuel mileage in mind so take it as it is.
1546.6 total miles, about 1100 of them highway. Cruise set at 81mph (2300 rpm) most of the time on the highway.
About 350 miles on 45mph mountain roads ( a lot of the BR Parkway). The rest in town driving.

Not bad for mountain driving. Mileage will increase, in a few thousand miles, once engine breaks in.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

I set my cruise at 82 yesterday for about 150 miles the tach was at 2000 rpm with 33’s idk what fuel mileage was tho.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
OK, as promised here is my MPG for a 4900 mile trip to my Dads house and return back home.

Franklin KY to Visalia CA, 2135 miles/100.744 gallons = 21.2 mpg, going I40, I10
Driving @ Squaw Valley Ca and Fresno Ca, 524 miles/26.651 gallons = 19.66 mpg
This includes hwy, mountain and city driving.
Visalia CA to Franklin KY, 2237 miles/109.513 = 20.4 mpg, going through SoCal, Phoenix then back to Interstate 40.

I carried 15 gals of fuel to help the costs in SoCal where the fuel costs are @ $5.79 a gallon on average. I started the trip with a full tank of premium and Toyota injector cleaner, also my last tank of fuel was premium, to help in cleaning fuel system. I did run into 86 octane in Albuquerque NM which I added a small amount of octane boost. All fill ups, except the first and last tank, I added Marvel Mystery Oil at .4 oz per gallon every fill up. Overall I am very happy with my MPG for a V-8 and the cost of fuel, until the west coast. The truck reported MPG was close enough per tank of fuel, I can believe the MPG report now. For a breakdown of actual MPG vrs reported MPG, I can post it, but I don't have time at the moment, for I have a lot of Honey Do's to catch up on. :rolleyes:

On edit, I kept my MPH at 70, or posted speed limit, regardless of max speed limit.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OK, as promised here is my MPG for a 4900 mile trip to my Dads house and return back home.

Franklin KY to Visalia CA, 2135 miles/100.744 gallons = 21.2 mpg, going I40, I10
Driving @ Squaw Valley Ca and Fresno Ca, 524 miles/26.651 gallons = 19.66 mpg
This includes hwy, mountain and city driving.
Visalia CA to Franklin KY, 2237 miles/109.513 = 20.4 mpg, going through SoCal, Phoenix then back to Interstate 40.

I carried 15 gals of fuel to help the costs in SoCal where the fuel costs are @ $5.79 a gallon on average. I started the trip with a full tank of premium and Toyota injector cleaner, also my last tank of fuel was premium, to help in cleaning fuel system. I did run into 86 octane in Albuquerque NM which I added a small amount of octane boost. All fill ups, except the first and last tank, I added Marvel Mystery Oil at .4 oz per gallon every fill up. Overall I am very happy with my MPG for a V-8 and the cost of fuel, until the west coast. The truck reported MPG was close enough per tank of fuel, I can believe the MPG report now. For a breakdown of actual MPG vrs reported MPG, I can post it, but I don't have time at the moment, for I have a lot of Honey Do's to catch up on. :rolleyes:

On edit, I kept my MPH at 70, or posted speed limit, regardless of max speed limit.
Premium fuel doesn't "clean" anything in the fuel system any more than 87 octane. If you are running MMO in every tank, there is no need for any extra injector cleaner. Other than that, good results

Users who are viewing this thread