5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas mileage

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a recent trip I did when I drove my truck to drop it off at shop for rear bumper fitmentz then driving back home. Speeds were mostly 70mph with a stretch of 75mph, and a stretch at 60mph in a construction zone. Running 91 octane and Pulsar set to performance. See signature for mods PXL_20230930_020747968.jpg

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Premium fuel doesn't "clean" anything in the fuel system any more than 87 octane. If you are running MMO in every tank, there is no need for any extra injector cleaner. Other than that, good results

Thats a matter of opinion, I've done this for over 25 years, if it doesn't clean anything, then so be it, but I think it does, and will continue to do so. I've used MMO for even longer, over 35 years, and think it works as well, but is there any proof of it ? Can you believe their claims, does it work as advertised, its like Premium helping to clean the system, how do you prove it one way or another. Keep in mind, I only do that on long trips, not at every fill up, and only with the first tank, but after 4900 miles I thought it best to run premium on the last tank.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Yes I was asking you, I didn't see it in your signature. 16 MPG seems low to me, it explains it.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Here is a recent trip I did when I drove my truck to drop it off at shop for rear bumper fitmentz then driving back home. Speeds were mostly 70mph with a stretch of 75mph, and a stretch at 60mph in a construction zone. Running 91 octane and Pulsar set to performance. See signature for mods View attachment 169104

😧 My truck knows I'd shoot it if it ever returned mpg that bad.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I was asking you, I didn't see it in your signature. 16 MPG seems low to me, it explains it.
With 35" tires and removing all aerodynamic help from factory front bumper and air dam, that's not bad mileage. When I was stock tires/suspension and factory bumper with AAD, I averaged over 19mpg on a trip to OKC with a lot of that cruising at 75mph.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thats a matter of opinion, I've done this for over 25 years, if it doesn't clean anything, then so be it, but I think it does, and will continue to do so. I've used MMO for even longer, over 35 years, and think it works as well, but is there any proof of it ? Can you believe their claims, does it work as advertised, its like Premium helping to clean the system, how do you prove it one way or another. Keep in mind, I only do that on long trips, not at every fill up, and only with the first tank, but after 4900 miles I thought it best to run premium on the last tank.
Explain how running 91/93 will help clean the fuel system more than what 87 or 89 would do? If you use top tier fuel, the additives are all the same(for each brand) no matter what the octane level is. Switching from one brand of gas to another will make a difference because different additives are used by different brands.

I've used MMO in the past. On older engines, it's proven to help. Not sure how much benefit there is in modern engines, but it's definitely not hurting anything.

BrandonSmith

Reaction score
One random oil change a few years ago, I had the thought to run fuel system cleaner through the tank. Then I decided I'll do that at every oil change interval for any vehicle I own. Figured why not spend the extra $5-10 and treat the fuel system too.

I had no reason to start doing this. I never had an issue. Then why do it? Just because I can. It seems most vehicles are direct injection anymore, so it's not going to be much benefit to them anyhow.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Well if its any help, my new company GMC van was running a little rough, I turned it in for warranty and they gave it back to me running better. I asked what was wrong, they told me they found no problems, the usual reply when no codes are thrown, they recommended I run some premium every now and again. The first premium tank it burned, it ran better. But the Boss told me not to do that again, and it never did it again, but the premium tank helped it, I can't explain it, but it did run better.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well if its any help, my new company GMC van was running a little rough, I turned it in for warranty and they gave it back to me running better. I asked what was wrong, they told me they found no problems, the usual reply when no codes are thrown, they recommended I run some premium every now and again. The first premium tank it burned, it ran better. But the Boss told me not to do that again, and it never did it again, but the premium tank helped it, I can't explain it, but it did run better.
The only reason premium may help a vehicle that runs rough is because it's detonating and the higher octane helps reduce that. It can't physically clean any more than regular fuel as long as the additive packages are the same.

JoyBoy

Reaction score
Took a 650 mile trip today to pick up some goodies. Hand calculated 23.1 mpg average speed 69. Truck said 23.7.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Took a 650 mile trip today to pick up some goodies. Hand calculated 23.1 mpg average speed 69. Truck said 23.7.
23 mpg you must have filled it with Premium. :ROFLMAO:

My truck reported damn near the same mpg that was hand calculated. Maybe next week I'll go into the weeds with numbers. I reset Trip B every tank and left Trip A alone for the entire trip. I did find that after 400 miles, Trip B would almost mirror Trip A.

JoyBoy

Reaction score
23 mpg you must have filled it with Premium. :ROFLMAO:

My truck reported damn near the same mpg that was hand calculated. Maybe next week I'll go into the weeds with numbers. I reset Trip B every tank and left Trip A alone for the entire trip. I did find that after 400 miles, Trip B would almost mirror Trip A.
Hell no premium is like a dollar more a gallon where I live haha. Just a lot of cruise control at 70.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thirsty? Or wilfully gluttonous?

My truck and I have come to an understanding; she can drink all she wants while towing, but when its time to get groceries......
Well,
they thought it was a horse.
Turns out to be a weak pack mule. 😬

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The only reason premium may help a vehicle that runs rough is because it's detonating and the higher octane helps reduce that. It can't physically clean any more than regular fuel as long as the additive packages are the same.
Where I'm at, some brands say they only put the extra additives in premium.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Where I'm at, some brands say they only put the extra additives in premium.
If you use top tier fuel, it shouldn't matter what octane you use, as part of the qualifications to get the top tier rating is the additive packages

Users who are viewing this thread