5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fueling issues

RamThunder

Reaction score
I hate to hear that- mine is doing okay- so far. But with your issue, I am wondering if it will last? Keep me posted and let me know what is next after the tank is replaced...... I hope your issue gets resolved- these trucks are kinda pricey to have problems like this!
I will tell you that even though my tank has been replaced, I still pump on the lowest notch- I have not tried full blast yet because I don't want the issue to return.

Gee, this is depressing to read. I'm having similar issues on my 2020 1500 etorque. BUT, only at certain stations. At my "regular" station, no problem, no matter how I fill it, fast, medium, manual, automatic, in deep, lightly in, fills without issue. Go somewhere else and 75% of the pumps won't fill it. Putting in a quart at a time no matter what I try. Dealer said it's because it's cold (which it bitterly is) and the breather release is probably icing up, but I filled up at -10F, it took forever, the next day at -15 went to my regular station, shoved the nozzle in and let her rip and no problem.

WTF!?!?! I've never in my life had this problem with ANY vehicle, much less a fairly new $50,000 truck and I'm not amused.

Try filling this thing for 15-20 minutes manually in -20 to-30 windchills.

I was hoping to find some resolutions and solutions here, but it isn't looking good.

Heading to the dealer in a week or so for a few other items and tis will be one of them.

rahoho98

Reaction score
My '19 Longhorn Laramie is currently in the shop for the same thing. When you fill the gas, it shuts off every few seconds. So far they have changed the filler neck and it's still doing it. Yesterday they said they are going to drop the gas tank. My truck has had nothing but problems from the get go. It now has 32k miles. When I had less than 2k miles I had to have the rotors, pad and calipers changed out due to the high pitch squealing at all kinds of speeds. I've had the battery replaced at 30k miles. Oh, the brakes are starting to make noise again. It all sucks because I do love the truck but am so disappointed that I've finally reached the ability to afford a truck for over $50k and I get a lemon.

dschweers

Reaction score
My wife and have a 2019 Big Horn. This is our 3rd Ram since 2014 and we love it. BUT, we are having an issue fueling it. It has no gas cap and when I put the gas nozzle in and start fueling, it stops every 20 seconds or so. I have tried adjusting how the nozzle is in and the angle but nothing solves the issue. It sucks standing in -20C trying to fill a truck up. Can anyone help?
Valve on top of tank is stuck. Take to dealer. Had same issue, tank was replaced because valve is part of tank. No longer have issue.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Valve on top of tank is stuck. Take to dealer. Had same issue, tank was replaced because valve is part of tank. No longer have issue.
How long ago did they replace your tank as I've seen others say it did not help.

SLH2020

Reaction score
I had the issue on the 1st couple of fill-ups.
I was not pushing the nozzel far enough into the neck.
Have not had a problem since
Same here. Push in until it stops, works fine

dschweers

Reaction score
How long ago did they replace your tank as I've seen others say it did not help.
They used a scope to look into tank and pushed on valve. Would not open. So they replaced the tank. Left a wrench between truck bed and tank. After I couldn't handle the sweeking , took it back and rode with service manager. The pulled tank to look at a spot they had a service bulletin. Mechanic said hey there's my wrench.

sdramsey24

Reaction score
This happens on my truck every once in a while. I've noticed it's a problem at specific pumps at specific gas stations. I'd assumed this was an issue of either pump nozzle length and/or fuel velocity or lack thereof. It doesn't happen often. I guess if it does I'll take it to the shop.

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
My wife and have a 2019 Big Horn. This is our 3rd Ram since 2014 and we love it. BUT, we are having an issue fueling it. It has no gas cap and when I put the gas nozzle in and start fueling, it stops every 20 seconds or so. I have tried adjusting how the nozzle is in and the angle but nothing solves the issue. It sucks standing in -20C trying to fill a truck up. Can anyone help?
Push the nozzle in further. Mine used to do the same until I realized it was in too shallow.

South Texas Aggie

Reaction score
I had my tank replaced mid-January but it started doing it again (gas pump stops every few seconds) Monday. I tried different gas stations but the problem persists. I’ll be going back to the dealer next week but I’m not looking forward to waiting weeks/months for parts and then them keeping my truck for who knows how long this time.

dschweers

Reaction score
I had my tank replaced mid-January but it started doing it again (gas pump stops every few seconds) Monday. I tried different gas stations but the problem persists. I’ll be going back to the dealer next week but I’m not looking forward to waiting weeks/months for parts and then them keeping my truck for who knows how long this time.
Find another dealer, mine took about 3 days.

ramchaser

Reaction score
There is a new TSB that addresses the fueling issue. It is attached.

Attachments

• Canister TSB Fueling.pdf
    94.3 KB · Views: 126

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I have this problem of shutoff some of the time. My last fill up went smooth as it saw in another thread if you put the nozzle in normally and make sure it is all the way in the filler tube and then twist it so the nozzle is pointing to the 2 o'clock position it works! I was able to fill up completely without a single shutoff, except at the end of course. Now I have only done this once so I will see what happens on the next fill up and I will be sure to use a different gas pump.

KCViper

Reaction score
First fill up with the new truck today......no issues whatsoever!! Hope it's a good sign for the future!

B5Shaker

Reaction score
My 2019 Laramie 5.7 / standard tank is at the dealer with the unable to fuel issue for the second time. In February the dealer replaced the tank assembly, now they say it's the charcoal canister. I sent my service advisor a text showing this TSB and just got blah blah blah in response.

South Texas Aggie

Reaction score
Find another dealer, mine took about 3 days.
My dealer only took 2 days this time. They replaced the fuel-filler neck on the new tank after using a scope to confirm that that was the problem. It took a few fill ups last time for it to start messing up again, so we’ll see. . .

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 2019 Laramie 5.7 / standard tank is at the dealer with the unable to fuel issue for the second time. In February the dealer replaced the tank assembly, now they say it's the charcoal canister. I sent my service advisor a text showing this TSB and just got blah blah blah in response.
Hi B5Shaker, if you'd like assistance working alongside you and your dealer please send us a PM with your VIN and mileage. We will do our best to assist you!

Michelle
Ram Cares

Shadow5326

Reaction score
Hi B5Shaker, if you'd like assistance working alongside you and your dealer please send us a PM with your VIN and mileage. We will do our best to assist you!

Michelle
Ram Cares
I will be taking my 2019 Big horn 5th gen in to the dealer next week with the same problem. I bought it used in Nov 2020 with 4000 miles on it. It now only has 12000 and it started to have this .2 gallon at a time problem fill problem.

sessman

Reaction score
Had the same issue with my 2019, Ram said to put the nozzle in, hold it "down" for 10 seconds to create a seal before pulling the trigger and letting go. It actually seemed to work for me most of the time.

I haven't filled up my new 2021 yet but praying that issue has been solved.

Apparently it's a known issue Ram told me and they'll replace the down stem if they can recreate the issue (he said they take it to 4 different gas stations to attempt to recreate it).

Users who are viewing this thread