5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fueling issues

GSmith

Reaction score
My wife and have a 2019 Big Horn. This is our 3rd Ram since 2014 and we love it. BUT, we are having an issue fueling it. It has no gas cap and when I put the gas nozzle in and start fueling, it stops every 20 seconds or so. I have tried adjusting how the nozzle is in and the angle but nothing solves the issue. It sucks standing in -20C trying to fill a truck up. Can anyone help?

kmck94

Reaction score
Same here, pisses me off because you have to pump a lot of gas. I usually just turn it to the side and sometimes it'll last a little longer.

Vic

Reaction score
Not having that issue on my 2019 Big Horn. Wonder if there is something wrong with, or in, your filler neck.

Pribilof

Reaction score
No issues with mine. Do you regularly "top off?" This can lead to issues with the evap valves in the filler neck.

Whiskey_tango

Reaction score
Same problem here. Some pumps are worse than others. I have to barely pull the handle and slow fill. Otherwise the fuel backs up into the nozzle and it cuts out. EXTREMELY annoying!!!

RAM999

Reaction score
There is a picture on the inside of the gas door. It illustrates something like put it all the way in, wait 5 seconds, then pull out a little. Then pump. I have not had the issue since I started doing that.

Boozygoose

Reaction score
Sadly, I have had this problem with both my truck and my wife. Evidently, I am failing to hit bottom.

With my truck, I find it is certain gas station pumps and it is very frustrating to me and concerns me greatly, with my wife, I'm sure it is very frustrating to her but I am not concerned at all.

Rich

Reaction score
I haven't noticed this, but other than what has already been suggested, I'll suggest if you are going to the same gas pump, try one at a different station to see if it does the same thing. Some pumps are more sensitive than others.

AndreiV

Reaction score
I have the same issue on my Laramie, It shots off multiple times during fill. Same gas stations and same pumps work just fine on my other 2 cars. Definitely some design or certain production model issues with the fill system components.

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score
I stopped topping off once I bought me a 2015 Silverado Z71. The salesman told me that pumping more into the tank after it stops can lead to problems later on or sometimes not. I stopped and never had a problem so I never add any more once it stops pumping.

Whiskey_tango

Reaction score
I stopped topping off once I bought me a 2015 Silverado Z71. The salesman told me that pumping more into the tank after it stops can lead to problems later on or sometimes not. I stopped and never had a problem so I never add any more once it stops pumping.

I'm not taking about topping off. The nozzle kicks off even when filling a near empty tank.

I jammed that thing in any which way to no avail at certain pumps.

As far as the infographic on the door I was under the impression that had to do with leaving the nozzle in for 5 sec after you stop pumping to let it drain out.

ETA: My 2009 F150 without gas cap never did this one time.

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score
I'm not taking about topping off. The nozzle kicks off even when filling a near empty tank.

I jammed that thing in any which way to no avail at certain pumps.

As far as the infographic on the door I was under the impression that had to do with leaving the nozzle in for 5 sec after you stop pumping to let it drain out.

ETA: My 2009 F150 without gas cap never did this one time.

Ahhhh I had that same problem on a 2007 ford five hundred. I would start pumping and it would stop and I had to do that quite a few times every single time I pumped gas and no matter which gas station I went to. I never could figure out that problem. I wonder if it's how the gas hits the tank or something, which causes it to splash up and kick off the pump.

Tac747

Reaction score
I feel for you brother, I Picked mine up from the shop yesterday for the same reason as the OP. They told me the second valve was out of alignment and showed me the TSA about it. Went to fuel it up this morning and same problem. It will pump 0.28 to 0.31 gallons before it fills up the neck and shuts the pump off. She goes back in on Tuesday. Hopefully this time they will check and purge the vent lines with air or check the main pipe with a camera for obstructions.

wrcrallysport

Reaction score
I have run into this at Irving stations. I think that its an issue with the pumps not the truck

d19r93

Reaction score
I noticed this happening to me at the gas stations that didn't have completely level parking lots. The truck would tilt a bit to the right, making the "check valve" on the filler nozzle touch the filler neck on the tank. I had to hold it the whole time. Other than that, I haven't noticed any issues unless I don't have it in far enough.

Users who are viewing this thread