5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fueling issues

David S

Reaction score
This is depressing! I have the same story as most who've posted on this thread: 2020 Laramie, 26 gallon tank, no issues fueling for the first 6k miles, now shuts off every 1/3 of a gallon. The dealer acted all surprised when I raised the issue, did some checks then said the filler neck needs replacing. That was done the following week, dealer says they put $10 gas in with no issues, but immediately I went to fill the tank on leaving the dealership I had exactly the same problem as before. Have persevered for the past couple of weeks, trying different stations etc, but it's no use. 15+ minutes to fill the tank, 1/3 gallon at a time. I'm really pissed. The truck is going back in on Friday this week, but reading others' experiences here I'm not optimistic of a resolution. And when I raised this being a known common problem on these trucks with the dealer's service department, they said they didn't know, which I find hard to believe. I've got this truck on lease for another 3 years and love it apart from this issue, but I don't want to spend more time filling it than driving it!

HeavyMetalHauler

Reaction score
This is depressing! I have the same story as most who've posted on this thread: 2020 Laramie, 26 gallon tank, no issues fueling for the first 6k miles, now shuts off every 1/3 of a gallon. The dealer acted all surprised when I raised the issue, did some checks then said the filler neck needs replacing. That was done the following week, dealer says they put $10 gas in with no issues, but immediately I went to fill the tank on leaving the dealership I had exactly the same problem as before. Have persevered for the past couple of weeks, trying different stations etc, but it's no use. 15+ minutes to fill the tank, 1/3 gallon at a time. I'm really pissed. The truck is going back in on Friday this week, but reading others' experiences here I'm not optimistic of a resolution. And when I raised this being a known common problem on these trucks with the dealer's service department, they said they didn't know, which I find hard to believe. I've got this truck on lease for another 3 years and love it apart from this issue, but I don't want to spend more time filling it than driving it!

I had a similar experience, but recently found a little workaround, at least on the surface. My 2021 Sport filled fine for the first two months... then no matter where I went and what pump I used, it would click off every 3 seconds. Did this for a bunch of fill-ups and I hated it.

A while ago I read somewhere about putting the nozzle three quarters of the way in, and then push up from the bottom. Lo and behold... on my last fill-up it pumped the gas perfectly! Unfortunately due to lockdown restrictions the truck doesn’t see as much pavement as usual, so I’ve only been able to try this new trick once... but it did work!

Give it a shot and let me know.

1500V8

Reaction score
I had a similar experience, but recently found a little workaround, at least on the surface. My 2021 Sport filled fine for the first two months... then no matter where I went and what pump I used, it would click off every 3 seconds. Did this for a bunch of fill-ups and I hated it.

A while ago I read somewhere about putting the nozzle three quarters of the way in, and then push up from the bottom. Lo and behold... on my last fill-up it pumped the gas perfectly! Unfortunately due to lockdown restrictions the truck doesn’t see as much pavement as usual, so I’ve only been able to try this new trick once... but it did work!

Give it a shot and let me know.
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 and recently began having problems filling the gas tank up. When I would fill up, the most it would hold was 3/4 tank. I tried "topping" the tank off, but the pump would keep shutting off. I tried pumping slower, thinking it was running too fast- nothing helped. After a few frustrating fill-ups like this, I contacted the dealer. The first thing they did was replace the filter in the filler neck- that didn't work. The next thing they did was completely replace the fuel tank. It worked and everything was under warranty. So if anyone out there is having the same problem I had- contact the dealer. When I mentioned the fill-up problem to them, they were familiar with it and knew how to resolve it.

Norvak

Reaction score
I’ve been having this problem for the past year. Try to slowly fill, push the nozzle all the way in, and try every trick I’ve read here to make it work. Filling up my truck was a pain.

What I do now is just barely stick the tip in. Works on full blast, it never prematurely stops, and it doesn’t spill out. I haven’t had a problem filling up in the past couple months, and I fill up frequently.

This may be unique to my truck. I know our capless tanks are a PITA. I do agree that some pumps are more sensitive then others.

1500V8

Reaction score
I’ve been having this problem for the past year. Try to slowly fill, push the nozzle all the way in, and try every trick I’ve read here to make it work. Filling up my truck was a pain.

What I do now is just barely stick the tip in. Works on full blast, it never prematurely stops, and it doesn’t spill out. I haven’t had a problem filling up in the past couple months, and I fill up frequently.

This may be unique to my truck. I know our capless tanks are a PITA. I do agree that some pumps are more sensitive then others.
I tried everything with the pumps- pumped slowly, moved the nozzle in different directions and nothing worked for me. I knew I wasn't going to deal with the fill issue after what I paid for the truck- so I took it to the dealer.

Scoot332002

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 and recently began having problems filling the gas tank up. When I would fill up, the most it would hold was 3/4 tank. I tried "topping" the tank off, but the pump would keep shutting off. I tried pumping slower, thinking it was running too fast- nothing helped. After a few frustrating fill-ups like this, I contacted the dealer. The first thing they did was replace the filter in the filler neck- that didn't work. The next thing they did was completely replace the fuel tank. It worked and everything was under warranty. So if anyone out there is having the same problem I had- contact the dealer. When I mentioned the fill-up problem to them, they were familiar with it and knew how to resolve it.
My truck goes in on Tuesday for this same problem. 23 gallon tank at 3/4 full while pulling a trailer doesn’t get very far. They’re going to replace the tank.

njt07

Reaction score
Dunno if its already been said (probably has) but Costco replaced (just) the tips of their fuel pumps and thats what causes the issues for mine. I just end up sticking it all the way in then holding it down (lightly press down on top of handle) till it clicks off.

theres a bit of slack between the catch and the fuel nozzle that lets it go up juuuuust a bit yo far and the fuel nozzle disengages

fort calhoun

Reaction score
My wife and have a 2019 Big Horn. This is our 3rd Ram since 2014 and we love it. BUT, we are having an issue fueling it. It has no gas cap and when I put the gas nozzle in and start fueling, it stops every 20 seconds or so. I have tried adjusting how the nozzle is in and the angle but nothing solves the issue. It sucks standing in -20C trying to fill a truck up. Can anyone help?

fort calhoun

Reaction score
My truck goes in on Tuesday for this same problem. 23 gallon tank at 3/4 full while pulling a trailer doesn’t get very far. They’re going to replace the tank.
have a 2019 about 8000 miles on it wouldn't take gas and lost about 3mpg took to dealer new tank new vapor canister and new filler assembly still wont take fuel sitting in dealers lot waiting for answer from ram they gave me a loaner

fort calhoun

Reaction score
have a 2019 about 8000 miles on it wouldn't take gas and lost about 3mpg took to dealer new tank new vapor canister and new filler assembly still wont take fuel sitting in dealers lot waiting for answer from ram they gave me a loaner

1500V8

Reaction score
This should solve your problem- it worked for me. My question is: What is wrong with the tanks they are replacing? How are they defective?

fort calhoun

Reaction score
driving their loaner at least im not putting the miles on mine they replaced everything that was two days ago still know answer

Scoot332002

Reaction score
This should solve your problem- it worked for me. My question is: What is wrong with the tanks they are replacing? How are they defective?
Picked up my truck today. They replaced tank and filled with gas. It was full when I picked it up. Taking it on a trip this weekend. We’ll see how it goes.

1500V8

Reaction score
Picked up my truck today. They replaced tank and filled with gas. It was full when I picked it up. Taking it on a trip this weekend. We’ll see how it goes.
They replaced my tank, but would not fill it up- service said all they could do was $10 under warranty- lol!!

Scoot332002

Reaction score
I just got back from a 1000 mile trip. This new tank and filler was the same as the last. Clicked off and was 3/4-7/8 full

1500V8

Reaction score
I just got back from a 1000 mile trip. This new tank and filler was the same as the last. Clicked off and was 3/4-7/8 full
I hate to hear that- mine is doing okay- so far. But with your issue, I am wondering if it will last? Keep me posted and let me know what is next after the tank is replaced...... I hope your issue gets resolved- these trucks are kinda pricey to have problems like this!
I will tell you that even though my tank has been replaced, I still pump on the lowest notch- I have not tried full blast yet because I don't want the issue to return.

Users who are viewing this thread