5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front end clunk while turning - FIXED - TSB # 23-047-18

Rong

Reaction score
Truck spent 3 days at the dealership and of coarse all I get is “we couldn’t duplicate the problem”. They basically told me to drive it til it gets worse and it can be replicated. My Fiat/Chrysler case advisor called as I pulled into my driveway and I laid into him. He wouldn’t even admit that this was a known issue on 2019 trucks. Such a rip off to buy a 70k truck and it clunks on day 2. Two dealerships and 5 days without my brand new truck, and all they can tell me is drive it til it gets worse then maybe we can duplicate and try to fix it. This is just ridiculous, they are just trying to deter people from bringing this problem to them so they don’t have to fix it. Shoulda bought the GMC Sierra AT4.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, but now you know why I haven’t had the patience to go through what I easily predicted. Mine has been clunking for 10,000 miles! I figured that if they can’t fix an obviously broken radio how in the hell are they gonna chase an intermittent clunk in my front suspension?

jth877

Reaction score
I'm starting to hear and feel a sharp clunk right by my feet while turning over a slight drop in pavement height. It's quite evident when transversing from a newly paved road to an older road where they haven't smoothed out the transition yet. 2020, about 1800miles, manufacture date 11/19.

Are the new mounts the same part # as the old ones? I'd rather zip new bolts in myself than waste days at the dealership. They are awful.

dreinert

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I struggled for over a year and several dealers on my 2019 who couldn't reproduce, or checked the bolts, or re-torqued the bolts....without any success.

I had my fill when I was told "it's a truck they make noise." so I stuck a camera under the truck and with this video showing the actual joint shifting, the TSB in hand, and the below description, they replaced them all per the TSB and I've been happy for over 6mo.

Pop/Thunk heard in footwell while entering/exiting ramps (driveways & parking lots) or making moving turns (roundabounts, quick turns, turning on bumps).

GoPro video taken on front passenger body mount behind front tire; movement of mount through slot seen and heard.

https://gopro.com/v/kVREKwMqyNo7N

Best of Luck!!

Blawrence39

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have read this entire thread and can't decide if I have the same problem or not. I have a 2020 ram 2500, 350 miles and have a loud clunk that sounds like it is coming from the front passengers wheel area. Anytime I hit a decent size bump, I hear the clunk. It almost sounds like metal on metal. It seems that anytime the front of the truck dips down due to a bump is when it happens. I have an appointment with the dealership in a few days, but wanted to see what everyone recommends because it is driving me CRAZY!

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I struggled for over a year and several dealers on my 2019 who couldn't reproduce, or checked the bolts, or re-torqued the bolts....without any success.

I had my fill when I was told "it's a truck they make noise." so I stuck a camera under the truck and with this video showing the actual joint shifting, the TSB in hand, and the below description, they replaced them all per the TSB and I've been happy for over 6mo.

Pop/Thunk heard in footwell while entering/exiting ramps (driveways & parking lots) or making moving turns (roundabounts, quick turns, turning on bumps).

GoPro video taken on front passenger body mount behind front tire; movement of mount through slot seen and heard.

https://gopro.com/v/kVREKwMqyNo7N

Best of Luck!!
Nice job on solving your problem. It is a shame these steps need to be taken to resolve issues. Your account and my recent experience indicates the "service/tech" may need to be "spoon fed" to get the correct service. My advice to forum readers are to bring the TSB with you or better yet email the TSBs so there is a record. It seems to me that a lot of problems are electrical/software related and the Technical Service Bulletins need to be performed.

But - How do you know if it was performed or performed correctly if the issue remains? The "droning" while in MDS (eco mode) and braking while backing up are 2 that come to mind.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I took mine in yesterday to get the new 12” radio installed and had them look at the clunk. I got told that they could not duplicate it and that everything is tight and right. Shocker!

dreinert

Reaction score
Blawrence39 -

Not to cross models or assume what’s been an issue on earlier 2019 1500s would still apply to your 2500 but the other known issue on the 2019 1500s was loose sway bar links and the TSB symptoms are similar between both issues the body bolts and sway bar links.

I also had a loose front drivers sway bar link loose (nut loose on control arm end, not sway bar) and that one was a more distinct metalic rattle that I could get to occur on a large bump or poorly paved roads. That noise could be heard slightly with windows up but was louder with the window down. I tightened the nut, went away, came back, used loctite and it hasn’t come back since.

With the loose, stretched, or whatever the actual root cause of the body bolts was I feel like it was actually more noticeable with the windows up.

Carl

Reaction score
2020 midnight edition Big Horn. purchased in May of 2020. now have the right front clunk. changed shocks to 5100 series Bilstiens. thought something was wrong with strut install. here we are.

Kob0583

Reaction score
I just had mine fixed they send I had to much play in the rear differential so they replaced the rear diff and carrier bearings. Seems to work I still have some rear pop coming from the Hellwig sway bar, so I’m going to grease it again and maybe adjust my links some to see that goes away but it’s not bad like the clunk was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jm1class

Reaction score
Anybody heard any clunking noises while turning? I can replicate the issue fairly easily. Doesn’t happen every time but often. Not sure if it might be air bags, control arms, etc but definitely sounds suspension/steering related. Wondering if it’s something that will break in or a problem I should have looked at.
My 2019 Longhorn Laramie is now at dodge w LOUD pop noise. It does it riding down road over minor bumps and when turning even at low (7 mph) speed. In fact, from the passenger side 2 people can shake the truck pushing sideways and make it pop EVERY time.
They are replacing an engine mount. After replacing. They said it doesn't do it as loud but not fixed.

Jm1class

Reaction score
I've noticed a clunk (or what I thought was a clunk) every once in a while, but only when turning right. Don't know why I was being vague in the post above, sorry.
My 2019 Longhorn Laramie is now at dodge w LOUD pop noise. It does it riding down road over minor bumps and when turning even at low (7 mph) speed. In fact, from the passenger side 2 people can shake the truck pushing sideways and make it pop EVERY time.
They are replacing an engine mount. After replacing. They said it doesn't do it as loud but not fixed.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m starting to hear a slight clunk in the rear end only when turning left and into a driveway or slight change in grade. Cannot for the life of me figure it out.

Rebel 12

Reaction score
I’m starting to hear a slight clunk in the rear end only when turning left and into a driveway or slight change in grade. Cannot for the life of me figure it out.
Check the front sway bar end links. My pass side was loose

MrMopar

Reaction score
2019 Power Wagon.
I told my dealer I had a clunking noise they could not reproduce it, had it in there for another issue and they called and told me they replicated the clunking noise...turns out it was the tie rod on the passenger side.
Less than 16k miles on the truck but had it for a long time.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So theoretically, if I were to remove the bolt on the body mount, it shouldn't make the clunking noise? Assuming that the bolt is what's causing my noise of course.

Users who are viewing this thread