5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front end clunk while turning - FIXED - TSB # 23-047-18

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow. sorry to hear. I guess I better get a paper trail going on mine. I LOVE my truck. just disappointed. I know the paper trail in needed if no repair is coming. Oil leak is one thing that would be a deal breaker. Not going to deal with those type things. I would be the same as you. If any part of the drivetrain comes out or is replaced thats fine.. as long as its for a new owner

Polaris Man

Reaction score
Had a chance to drive late Saturday evening and Sunday morning and heard the clunk once each time. It wasn't in my mind. Saturday, pulled out the garage and as I exited my driveway (while turning) and 'down' onto the road.....the truck did it's usual rocking and I heard/felt it once. It was very low though. Crazy thing is .......it didn't do it anymore. That was Saturday evening. Left for church yesterday morning and the same thing as I exited drive way......but, didn't do it anymore afterwards. I'm off today ....ran the dog to the vet and not a dang peep. Mind you, I would usually hear/feel it many more times. It's not fixed, but it's surely almost gone. I'm hoping we get a permanent fix, but with all that they tightened on mind, it's gotta be one of those things because it's nearly gone.

What's baffling is I'm going across irregularities, bumps, speed bumps that are enough to rock me silly ------and it's perfectly silent. Usually, it would be loud on those spots. Just those two instances I mentioned. Reminds me of these retired Army joints. First thing in the morning, they pop and then after they warm up, I'm good lol

When mine first started making the noise it would do the same thing, do it on one bump then not do it for a bit. Now it does it all the time, turning, going straight over bumps, S bend corners with no bumps. Mine was progressed far worse from when it started and seems to be getting worse yet.

immersivenc

Reaction score
When mine first started making the noise it would do the same thing, do it on one bump then not do it for a bit. Now it does it all the time, turning, going straight over bumps, S bend corners with no bumps. Mine was progressed far worse from when it started and seems to be getting worse yet.

Yours would be an excellent candidate for someone at FCA to look at. I'm betting mine will get worse as time goes on. Dealership is saying they can't hear it now. It is much harder to replicate after they messed with it. I almost wish they hadn't done anything to it because it's hard to identify now. They want me to take them for a drive in the morning and see if I can get it to clunk for them. This is wearing me out. There was a TSB a couple years ago for the 2500's that sounds like the same issue. Ended up being the cab mount bushings needed to be redesigned between the cab and frame. Could be a similar fix for us.

Polaris Man

Reaction score
Can someone with the clunk that is well defined (or just everyone, please crawl under their trucks and check for a crack in each Sway bar mount, the mount is welded to the frame and holds the sway bar bushings. Both of mine are cracked.

Attachments

• IMG_4546.JPG
    IMG_4546.JPG
    759.5 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_4547.JPG
    IMG_4547.JPG
    964.8 KB · Views: 206

Polaris Man

Reaction score
Can someone with the clunk that is well defined (or just everyone, please crawl under their trucks and check for a crack in each Sway bar mount, the mount is welded to the frame and holds the sway bar bushings. Both of mine are cracked.

I am going up the road now to crawl under the brand new trucks in the parking lot.

immersivenc

Reaction score
I am going up the road now to crawl under the brand new trucks in the parking lot.

Very interesting! Please post your findings. My truck is in the shop overnight unfortunately so I can’t have an answer for you till tomorrow

Polaris Man

Reaction score
The 3 trucks I crawled under in the parking lot of the dealer (no plates so must be brand new) all had these cracks. But I don't think these cracks are relief cracks, why would you need relief cracks on a sway bar mount, and what would prevent a relief crack from spreading another 1" or so across the rest of the bracket.

immersivenc

Reaction score
The 3 trucks I crawled under in the parking lot of the dealer (no plates so must be brand new) all had these cracks. But I don't think these cracks are relief cracks, why would you need relief cracks on a sway bar mount, and what would prevent a relief crack from spreading another 1" or so across the rest of the bracket.

Seems odd. Darn, was hoping they wouldn't have them. Unless all three of those are clunkers lol

Polaris Man

Reaction score
Seems odd. Darn, was hoping they wouldn't have them. Unless all three of those are clunkers lol

I sent a pic to my salesman to show their best mechanic, I'm not dealing wth the crappy service advisors anymore. We'll see what he says, Hopefully what I am seeing is nothing, there sure won't be any welding taking place in this truck.

Fwiw the paint is flaking slightly off the welds that hold this bracket to the frame, which would suggest something is moving.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think what you're seeing is an unwelded fold. This could turn out to be a design flaw and may be the cause of everyones grief. Then again, it could be just another witch hunt.

Polaris Man

Reaction score
I think what you're seeing is an unwelded fold. This could turn out to be a design flaw and may be the cause of everyones grief. Then again, it could be just another witch hunt.

I'm not sure what exactly
You mean by unwelded fold, what I'm seeing is a crack, in a spot that would not have any weld for any reason. I'm sure we won't know for a little while what the significance of these cracks are or if they have anything to do with the clunk noise. I may remove the sway bar links from my truck and try leaving my driveway and see if it makes the noise still.

Polaris Man

Reaction score
I looked and mine does NOT have those “cracks” and mine clunks

Thanks for the reply, obviously there is other issues then with the cracks forming. Like I said, 3
Other brand new trucks on the lot at the dealer I bought mine from have these cracks.

ponypride

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, obviously there is other issues then with the cracks forming. Like I said, 3
Other brand new trucks on the lot at the dealer I bought mine from have these cracks.
Can you provide a picture?

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I'm not sure what exactly
You mean by unwelded fold, what I'm seeing is a crack, in a spot that would not have any weld for any reason. I'm sure we won't know for a little while what the significance of these cracks are or if they have anything to do with the clunk noise. I may remove the sway bar links from my truck and try leaving my driveway and see if it makes the noise still.
What he means by an "unwelded fold" is the bracket started out as a flat plate then they put it in a press and it comes out a finished part, so the design of that bracket could have relief cuts in it so when they press it those two edges meet up.
But definitely going to check mine right now.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What he means by an "unwelded fold" is the bracket started out as a flat plate then they put it in a press and it comes out a finished part, so the design of that bracket could have relief cuts in it so when they press it those two edges meet up.
Thank you... got busy at work, forgot to explain myself. (y)

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Went out and looked, and mine also had these so called “cracks” but they are clearly part of the manufacturing process. I’d look somewhere else if mine was clunking.

Polaris Man

Reaction score

There isn't another bracket on these trucks that is bent and has a crack, I checked as many as I could see on y truck. Someone else already posted their bracket isn't cracked. You are right though, could be nothing. My dealer was taking one of their new trucks onto the hoist to look at the cracks.

What I can say is that the left side sway bar bushing is wearing slightly, everyday there are more strands of rubber and plastic peeling off. The plastic insert has moved away about 3/16" from the rubber bushing compared to the right side that has not moved and is not shedding material, also may not be part of the clunk, but at this point there aren't many suggestions other than loosening and tightening everything which isn't exactly a fix. It also appears there aren't many people actively trying to DIY diagnose to get something happening a bit sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread