5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Air Dam Removal

purebred

Reaction score
Hello all, new guy here. I have been reading this thread and very interested in the front air dam removal. My question is I have a 2019 2500 with 6.4, 2 wheel drive. My main thing is getting my body under this and changing oil and just keeping an eye on my engine and front end. I don't see anything with wires. Does the 2500 have the active air dam? Or just the valance? I cant see any wires just the plastic valance. It also has two vertical brackets mounted to the front frame that I can't tell what purpose they are. Not welded but held on with two bolts per bracket. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and good to be here.

BilletMotoRam

Reaction score
Hello all, new guy here. I have been reading this thread and very interested in the front air dam removal. My question is I have a 2019 2500 with 6.4, 2 wheel drive. My main thing is getting my body under this and changing oil and just keeping an eye on my engine and front end. I don't see anything with wires. Does the 2500 have the active air dam? Or just the valance? I cant see any wires just the plastic valance. It also has two vertical brackets mounted to the front frame that I can't tell what purpose they are. Not welded but held on with two bolts per bracket. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and good to be here.
The 2500’s don’t have the active air dam like the 1500’s do, you would be fine to remove the lower plastic valance for more room, there are no wires to disconnect. As for the 2 brackets bolted to the frame those are jack points. Hope this helps.

ChrisReason

Reaction score
f99d492cc5b92ba2dcf744b44454a868.jpg

Love mine removed and have take off for sale if anyone with a Limited wants to drag the ground with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you remove the active air dam as well?

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
Seen people mention removing the dam takes away some of the engine bay protection. Anyone looked into doing a bull bar with skid plate to get more protection?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mounting anything to the front (bull bar) has a high probability of creating problems for the front ParkSense if you have it and don't want to turn it off.

Nothing commercially available on the market with the OEM bumper as far as I know. I think there's a couple out there but you'd have to get their front bumper too.

Here's the main thread on it: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/front-skid-plate.21724/

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
Mounting anything to the front (bull bar) has a high probability of creating problems for the front ParkSense if you have it and don't want to turn it off.

Nothing commercially available on the market with the OEM bumper as far as I know. I think there's a couple out there but you'd have to get their front bumper too.

Here's the main thread on it: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/front-skid-plate.21724/
Didn't even think about the park sense. Makes sense. Thanks for that link!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Seen people mention removing the dam takes away some of the engine bay protection. Anyone looked into doing a bull bar with skid plate to get more protection?
All you really need is a debris shield. I've been wanting to make one out of scrap sheet aluminum but haven't had the time when the weather is nice enough to work outside. Maybe this spring/summer/fall :ROFLMAO:

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
All you really need is a debris shield. I've been wanting to make one out of scrap sheet aluminum but haven't had the time when the weather is nice enough to work outside. Maybe this spring/summer/fall :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, I don't do any serious off-roading, so just something to deflect something from bouncing up is all I would need. I seen in that other post people were basically making there own. Probably the best route.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don’t off road, but would still like a plastic skid plate for some protection. I already have my AAD disconnected, but not removed.

Mogen89

Reaction score
Removed my 5121A13F-3C34-4954-ACA1-568AA01230D7.jpeg air dams. A little extra approach angle and a more off-road look. I did more or less identical 74 mile round trips to Home Depot before and after and got 20.3 mpg before and 20.5 mpg after. I doubt that it improved my efficiency, but it seems like it didn’t significantly hurt it.

Mogen89

Reaction score
Mogen89 what great ratio does your truck have?
3.21. I was lightfooting it for sure just trying to get the best mpg I can, but it’s only got 300 miles on it so it isn’t broken in yet either

Julio13

Reaction score
I removed both yesterday and today in the Uconnect app I get an alert if anyone has an active air dam that they have removed I’ll take it don’t want to break mine just in case this is the alert no check engine lights

Attachments

• 59CB6364-9D94-4238-9241-55DE497C602F.png
    59CB6364-9D94-4238-9241-55DE497C602F.png
    66.9 KB · Views: 89

Mogen89

Reaction score
I removed both yesterday and today in the Uconnect app I get an alert if anyone has an active air dam that they have removed I’ll take it don’t want to break mine just in case this is the alert no check engine lights
You removed both air dams or air dams and active grille shutters? That warning looks like nothing to do with the air dams (or the grille shutters for that matter). You should probably google that warning.

2019Raven

Reaction score
I removed my AAD (Active Air Dam) on Saturday and so far no codes.

Julio13

Reaction score
You removed both air dams or air dams and active grille shutters? That warning looks like nothing to do with the air dams (or the grille shutters for that matter). You should probably google that warning.

No just the fixed lower balance and active air dam not the grille one

Julio13

Reaction score
I installed aad back on and alert on Uconnect app cleared so the next day took the aad off again and sure enough alert was back

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I installed aad back on and alert on Uconnect app cleared so the next day took the aad off again and sure enough alert was back

When I took mine off there was still a stores code in the ECU for it, but no check engine light. Is it just the app saying there’s a code or do you actually have a CEL too?

Users who are viewing this thread