5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Air Dam Removal

Mogen89

Reaction score
Did you guys remove the electronic actuator? I just removed the AAD, but left the actuator on and plugged in. I figure it'll lower the mounting brackets at speed, but I removed it for low speed clearance and the brackets aren't in the way when they aren't deployed.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did you guys remove the electronic actuator? I just removed the AAD, but left the actuator on and plugged in. I figure it'll lower the mounting brackets at speed, but I removed it for low speed clearance and the brackets aren't in the way when they aren't deployed.
Mine wasnt working at all anymore. It wouldn't deploy. I had someone drive my truck following me in another truck. Even at 55 it never dropped down.

Julio13

Reaction score
When I took mine off there was still a stores code in the ECU for it, but no check engine light. Is it just the app saying there’s a code or do you actually have a CEL too?

No just in app

49a1757233f89de98949b923ecff2cbc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
No just in app

49a1757233f89de98949b923ecff2cbc.jpg

If you’re under warranty maybe the dealer can help you. If not I wouldnt worry about it until it runs bad, burns more fuel, etc

Julio13

Reaction score
I have a nephew that works at ram service department and says if dealer sees I removed active air dam and the code comes up I could void warranty

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a nephew that works at ram service department and says if dealer sees I removed active air dam and the code comes up I could void warranty

How so? It really doesn’t affect anything but mpg. I think alot of dealers say this for any mod you may do to your vehicle, but they have to prove that the mod caused whatever is ailing your vehicle. Removing the AAD won’t cause anything else to fail.

Julio13

Reaction score
How so? It really doesn’t affect anything but mpg. I think alot of dealers say this for any mod you may do to your vehicle, but they have to prove that the mod caused whatever is ailing your vehicle. Removing the AAD won’t cause anything else to fail.

Since I’m getting a malfunction alert in app

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sure, it’s a comms error, but it’s really not affecting the vehicle in any way

Zietsmph

Reaction score
@BostonBLS and anyone else interested in a blank plug

I just removed my active air dam along with the air dam on the bottom of the bumper in order to clear my plow frame. I love the look but I wasn't happy about just taping the active air dam connector so I did some digging and I think I found a solution to make my own blank. I just ordered a part number 0535451528 which is sold as a Mercedes-Benz plug housing but from what I can tell it's the exact same connector. I found a used one on ebay for $5 so I figured I'd give it a shot. I plan to fill the connector pin holes with epoxy to seal them and then just plug it in.

I'll also through this out there-
I found these which appear to be the same connector as well but they were a bit more expensive. I also can't tell what the difference is in the MA vs MB connectors
4way 1.2 SealStar MA Connector
4way 1.2 SealStar MB Connector
https://www.amazon.com/Davitu-Connector-Hessmann-872-617-541-805-122-541/dp/B07LD5YRHW
Connector Replaces Mercedes BMW Mini Cooper MAF Temp Oxygen Sensor HIRSCHMANN 4P | eBay

I noticed most of these come from overseas so the shipping time may take a bit. I was lucky and found one in the US.

So I will let you all know either way when I get it, and if it does fit I'll post pictures of the outcome.
How did the blank connectors work for you? I would like to follow your example if it worked.

Reaction score
Didn't go all the way with the Air Dam removal, but did take 10 minutes with a Dremel.... Took about an 1.5 inches off

Was thinking of removing the air dam but that looks really good, may follow your lead there.

Probably doesn’t matter but wonder if there’s a gap now between the bottom of the stationary air dam and the top of the active one when it drops…

Crockett

Reaction score
Didn't go all the way with the Air Dam removal, but did take 10 minutes with a Dremel.... Took about an 1.5 inches off
I like what you did there, and may do the same. I’m thinking it will also serve as some protection from debris as others are pointing out. It also looks better than stock. I’m not sure where you cut, but looking at my truck, I will cut right below the bottom push pins giving them just enough material to stay intact.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the dealership instructions on the proper way to remove the front air dam (not the electric one)?
Maybe front bumper removal covers this?
Body shop doing warranty work called and said they broke it and claimed it's a 1 time use because clips are molded onto the plastic, wonder if they are talking about the plastic rivits? Also said it's $40 for another one

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the dealership instructions on the proper way to remove the front air dam (not the electric one)?
Maybe front bumper removal covers this?
Body shop doing warranty work called and said they broke it and claimed it's a 1 time use because clips are molded onto the plastic, wonder if they are talking about the plastic rivits? Also said it's $40 for another one
Did they change something for 2022? They are easily removed and reinstalled on earlier model years. I reinstalled both air dams on the 2021 Limited I used to have. No plastic rivets.

Edit: Forgot about the two plastic push pins. I reused mine but I guess those could be damaged when removed if not done correctly. But $40 for replacement pins is robbery if that's what they're talking about.

Last edited:

-RotorDemon-

Reaction score
Took mine off with hand tools. Eighteen? 10mm bolts across the air dam and two 10mm on the supporting bracket. Two push pins that I popped the center out of with a trim stick.
Couple light tugs and it literally fell off.

This is on a 23 Laramie sport. Identical to my old 19 Bighorn.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did they change something for 2022? They are easily removed and reinstalled on earlier model years. I reinstalled both air dams on the 2021 Limited I used to have. No plastic rivets.

Edit: Forgot about the two plastic push pins. I reused mine but I guess those could be damaged when removed if not done correctly. But $40 for replacement pins is robbery if that's what they're talking about.
They claim the push pins are part of the unit and can't be replaced. Like I said I haven't gotten a ride to go down there but i'm probably not paying them for the replacement part and i'm going to say they shouldn't of broken it. After my truck is done being worked on.
I didn't see any reason why it would be damaged unless they have no idea wtf they were doing, but they claim they hold certification from Ram for repairs (and are listed on Ram's website)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
They claim the push pins are part of the unit and can't be replaced. Like I said I haven't gotten a ride to go down there but i'm probably not paying them for the replacement part and i'm going to say they shouldn't of broken it. After my truck is done being worked on.
I didn't see any reason why it would be damaged unless they have no idea wtf they were doing, but they claim they hold certification from Ram for repairs (and are listed on Ram's website)
I can't say that Ram doesn't recommend replacing them, but I am saying it was easy to remove them without damaging them. And I saw no reason not to reuse them. I can't imagine them being more than a couple bucks even at your local dealership.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is a picture and video i save.
Can't remember for sure but i think i did break one of the pushin pins but i don't see why the cost would be $40 on them

Attachments

• 20220611_225702.jpg
    20220611_225702.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 26

Users who are viewing this thread