5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Air Dam Removal

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m removing my air dam on my ram 1500 2020 night edition. I will be happy to give it to you for free. Is going to the trash anyway.
If you have all the hardware, and it’s in great shape/undamaged, I’d be interested - could you drop it off at a UPS Store or FedEx storefront? Hopefully they can box it and I pay for shipping ?

Ram2020black

Reaction score
I’m in Greenville, SC I’m planning to remove my Air Dam . You can have it for free.
ram 2020 1500 bighorn night edition

Ram2020black

Reaction score
Well I joined the club and removed both my stationary air dam and active air dam. I removed the stationary and its brackets as one piece so I didn't need to remove the front butterfly clips. Took about 45 mins and that was working at a slower easy pace and talking on the phone with a buddy. Could have done it in 20 mins or so.

In the pictures you'll see I removed the wire clips attached to the lower bumper and zip tied them. If I didnt you would see the push pin when looking at the bumper.

To solve the now exposed connector. I had shrink wrap laying around so I just slid that over the connector and then taped it up for added protection. Then zip ties it up high and out of the way.

When I did the removal, I took the active air dam out first as I have seen others remove it after. Let me tell you removing the active air dam makes taking the 10- 10mm bolts and clips out way easier for the stationary air dam I was able to drive on my truck the ramps and then I was able to sit on my butt and work with it and not have to lay down. Way better and easier on your body.

Enjoy.

Before
View attachment 88919

After
View attachment 88945

View attachment 88920 View attachment 88931

View attachment 88938 View attachment 88939 View attachment 88940 View attachment 88941 View attachment 88942
View attachment 88944
Looking great!! Are you having any engine light error?

Reaction score
Looking great!! Are you having any engine light error?

Thank you.

No engine lights on dash and I have about 1000km (600miles) and still nothing... I have not checked if the BCM is showing any engine codes on my code reader but even if it is I don't care. The dash light would be the only one that I care about. I am willing to bet if I ran my code reader it would indicate a problem in the background.

2020SD

Reaction score
Well I joined the club and removed both my stationary air dam and active air dam. I removed the stationary and its brackets as one piece so I didn't need to remove the front butterfly clips. Took about 45 mins and that was working at a slower easy pace and talking on the phone with a buddy. Could have done it in 20 mins or so.

In the pictures you'll see I removed the wire clips attached to the lower bumper and zip tied them. If I didnt you would see the push pin when looking at the bumper.

To solve the now exposed connector. I had shrink wrap laying around so I just slid that over the connector and then taped it up for added protection. Then zip ties it up high and out of the way.

When I did the removal, I took the active air dam out first as I have seen others remove it after. Let me tell you removing the active air dam makes taking the 10- 10mm bolts and clips out way easier for the stationary air dam I was able to drive on my truck the ramps and then I was able to sit on my butt and work with it and not have to lay down. Way better and easier on your body.

Enjoy.

Before
View attachment 88919

After
View attachment 88945

View attachment 88920 View attachment 88931

View attachment 88938 View attachment 88939 View attachment 88940 View attachment 88941 View attachment 88942
View attachment 88944
great looking truck!

Jarrambidez

Reaction score
My cel cam on and throwing the ags bus comes loss code. Couple threads said to replace the ags and another mentioned the air dam. Any thoughts on if removing this will clear the cel? Either way looks good!

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My cel cam on and throwing the ags bus comes loss code. Couple threads said to replace the ags and another mentioned the air dam. Any thoughts on if removing this will clear the cel? Either way looks good!
Huh?

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
Disconnect battery for 20 minutes. Connect. Wait for the truck to cycle through it's ******** (anywhere from a restart/short drive to a couple of days) and see if that works.

Disconnecting the ags shouldn't throw codes (as evidence by the numerous folks removingtheir ags :D )

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My CEL lit up yesterday. The error code is U11E9, meaning the active grill shutter loss communication. So I’m asking if there is any real resolution to this. Is it the AGS or the Air Dam?

I can't speak for the active grille shutters, but the active air dam didn't throw a code for my Laramie or the wife's Limited when I removed them from both of our trucks. Did you disconnect the AGS?

Jarrambidez

Reaction score
Disconnect battery for 20 minutes. Connect. Wait for the truck to cycle through it's ******** (anywhere from a restart/short drive to a couple of days) and see if that works.

Disconnecting the ags shouldn't throw codes (as evidence by the numerous folks removingtheir ags :D )
Ok thanks, hopefully it clears it, if not I’ll just disconnect and try to clear the code. Thank you.

Jarrambidez

Reaction score
I can't speak for the active grille shutters, but the active air dam didn't throw a code for my Laramie or the wife's Limited when I removed them from both of our trucks. Did you disconnect the AGS?
I haven’t yet. But looks like this is the best course of action.

dannymcd

Reaction score
I was thinking about a way to make the active air dam lower for lifted trucks, since it only goes down at higher speeds it might make up some of that lost mpg. According to the press release the active air dam adds 1mpg over all, so probably 2 on the highway, I'm not sure what ratio metric they use for it. Frankly I'm surprised they haven't paneled the bottom of the frame like they do on cars, maybe it doesn't make a difference because of the ride height.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I can tell you that removing the air dams from our trucks didn't seem to affect fuel economy in any noticeable way. My fuel economy was basically unchanged before and after removing them. I'm not sure lowering yours will help much, but I don't want to discourage you from experimenting on it.

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow looooks so much better!! Gonna have todo this!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dannymcd

Reaction score
I can tell you that removing the air dams from our trucks didn't seem to affect fuel economy in any noticeable way. My fuel economy was basically unchanged before and after removing them. I'm not sure lowering yours will help much, but I don't want to discourage you from experimenting on it.
Yeah, I used to average 21.5-22 on the days I'd do 400mi's, then I switched from a tonneau to a soft topper and we went down to 20.5 on the same trip. I just did a 5100 lift on the 2.6" setting and a 1.5" spacer in the rear and replaced the tires with some 275/65r20 Goodyear Agilis Crossclimate's, so it'll be interesting where it lands the next time I do that trip.

Kovy23

Reaction score
Would it be advised that I take them both off? Or say can I just take off the stationary and leave the AAD? Not sure if that would cause any damage just keeping the AAD

Users who are viewing this thread