5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freaking Leather Dash Problems

gshaw1967

Reaction score
T
I'm not an uhpolstery guy, and this is 100% NOT professional advice, but ive restored a few boats with uhpolstery issues, and given what i can see, I think I'd find whatever type of adhesive would work best for that leather, and a couple of soft applicators used in applying vinyl wraps. I would fill a syringe with said adhesive and inject adhesive (not very much) at regular intervals into the cavity created by the separated material. And use the applicator and most likely some wax paper in between to slowly press the material back onto the dash panel.
Thanks Hasti17, that's kinda what I was thinking also with a syringe and adhesive. Didn't think about the wax paper thou. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I know your right. I have opened a case with the Ram support team. They are to reach out to me in 24hrs to see if there is any help they can provide. I'll keep you posted.

That said, has anyone repaired this dash issue themselves? I'd be interested in how you did it.
I'm not sure I agree with this. I'd push for a written definition of soft trim, and argue that the dash is functional not decorative.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
WHAT’S NOT COVERED UNDER OUR MAXIMUM CARE SM PLANS The only parts and labor not covered: • Maintenance Services and items used in such services • Catalytic Converter and Particulate Filter • Glass, Plastic Lenses and Light Bulbs • Body and Paint items (including Soft Trim) • Snowplows, Winches and Trailer Hitches • Wear items (such as Tires, Manual Clutch Assembly, Brake Pads, Shoes, Rotors, Drums, Belts and Wipers)
The fact that Mopar parts sites list the dash under Interior Trim and not Body would make me question this not being covered. And I'd consider soft trim, in this context, to be anything on the exterior that is not metal or paint. It's at least worth arguing that point.

ldoh

Reaction score
That stinks. It appears to be a manufacturing issue. It's bad enough it happened let alone on a top of the line limited.

No doubt you could've purchased FCA's 3rd party LLC extended warranty from a cheaper source but FCA will always attempt to deny service. I'm in the camp of the body/paint not including an interior dash. I would argue body/paint soft trim is the exterior plastic cladding.

Worst case you could throw a nice dash pad up there just to eliminate that non-stop in your face feeling.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it was likely caused by heat cycling. Temperature fluctuations on the dash can be extreme when parked outside in the sun, so use a sunshade to cut down on that dramatically. This is not uncommon in the auto industry for leather dashboards.

I'm so angry my head could explode!

So, I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. I paid $64,000+ and $3500 for an extended warranty.
Now the leather on the dash is peeling and I was told that nothing covers the leather or soft surfaces.
Seriously, my extended warranty doesn't cover it. Nope!! The dealer said to go try an interior shop or something!
I thought a bumper-to-bumper warranty would keep me covered, but it didn't. I know for a fact that Ford covers their leather,
anyways be very careful getting an FCA Ram Limited. Further, understand that all of that leather in your truck is not covered in your bumper-to-bumper warranty.
You're left on your own!!! BTW this is a known problem. I'm so angry, I'm sending a letter to FCA to complain about the lack of support for craftsmanship issues.
Who should I reach out to? The dealer was no help!

@RamCares Not sure if you can help but any assistance would be awesome.

I am outside of the manufactures warranty but thought that's what an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty was for.
You should have read the actual contract that should have been mailed to you a few weeks after purchase. Not only that, but nowhere in the Mopar marketing material does it say bumper to bumper. It says, "if it's mechanical, it's covered," which is also a bit of a lie, since it excludes mechanical wear items. Point is, no "extended warranty" (service contract) is bumper to bumper. They all exclude items like this. Nothing new dude, just don't get suckered into believing the baloney the finance guy pushes you next time.

You got SOAKED if you paid $3,500 for an extended warranty.

In another post, dated July 3, 2019, you stated your truck had 5800 miles on it, so are you still under any manufacturer warranty?

Price paid for the truck seems irrelevant.
$3,500 for a 7 yr/unlimited mileage isn't terrible. Not the cheapest it could be had for, but I've seen worse.

gshaw1967

Reaction score
I think it was likely caused by heat cycling. Temperature fluctuations on the dash can be extreme when parked outside in the sun, so use a sunshade to cut down on that dramatically. This is not uncommon in the auto industry for leather dashboards.

You should have read the actual contract that should have been mailed to you a few weeks after purchase. Not only that, but nowhere in the Mopar marketing material does it say bumper to bumper. It says, "if it's mechanical, it's covered," which is also a bit of a lie, since it excludes mechanical wear items. Point is, no "extended warranty" (service contract) is bumper to bumper. They all exclude items like this. Nothing new dude, just don't get suckered into believing the baloney the finance guy pushes you next time.

$3,500 for a 7 yr/unlimited mileage isn't terrible. Not the cheapest it could be had for, but I've seen worse.
The bigger problem is that some vendors cover things like this and some don't. But you are correct I should have read the fine print of the warranty. I bought the truck only because of the 7yr unlimited mile warranty, mostly because I came from Ford and was worried about Ram Quality. Thanks for the reply!

gshaw1967

Reaction score
Well great news after reaching out to Ram Customer Care, they indicated that they would help me get the dash fixed. I'll keep everyone posted as to how this works out. I really appreciate all of your suggestions! More importantly, it shows that FCA stands by their vehicles and I'm very grateful!

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well great news after reaching out to Ram Customer Care, they indicated that they would help me get the dash fixed. I'll keep everyone posted as to how this works out. I really appreciate all of your suggestions! More importantly, it shows that FCA stands by their vehicles and I'm very grateful!
Thanks for the update and I'm glad they're taking care of it. (y)

gshaw1967

Reaction score
Well I have been working with Ram Cares and finally will get the truck in the shop to be repaired on Monday, 9/27. I found out that Ram Cares will cover the cost minus taxes. They aren't able to cover the taxes. I'm "ok" with that. So by next Wednesday that bubble should be gone (which just keeps growing).

The Dealer:
I also had left the original post as a Google review of the dealer. The GM of the dealership reached out to me and they are trying to act as if they are adding great value to this process. Then dealer asked that I update my review. I told them that currently, they have no skin in the game. IE. Ram Cares is paying for the parts, Ram Cares is paying them to repair the truck, I'm covering the taxes, I contacted Ram Cares, ect. The GM of the Dealership grungily acknowledged that fact, as well. So, for the last week the service manager has been calling me to give me updates on the process (the dash is on back order).
Yesterday, I get a call from Ram Cares and they inform me that the dealer has the parts and I should reach out to them to get it installed. So, I reached out to my Service Advisor and sure enough it had arrived. The advisor then says that they had been meaning to reach out to me about the part.

Maybe, I'm being a "****" but I don't see where the dealer should get any credit in process. What do you think?

Hasti17

Reaction score
Well I have been working with Ram Cares and finally will get the truck in the shop to be repaired on Monday, 9/27. I found out that Ram Cares will cover the cost minus taxes. They aren't able to cover the taxes. I'm "ok" with that. So by next Wednesday that bubble should be gone (which just keeps growing).

The Dealer:
I also had left the original post as a Google review of the dealer. The GM of the dealership reached out to me and they are trying to act as if they are adding great value to this process. Then dealer asked that I update my review. I told them that currently, they have no skin in the game. IE. Ram Cares is paying for the parts, Ram Cares is paying them to repair the truck, I'm covering the taxes, I contacted Ram Cares, ect. The GM of the Dealership grungily acknowledged that fact, as well. So, for the last week the service manager has been calling me to give me updates on the process (the dash is on back order).
Yesterday, I get a call from Ram Cares and they inform me that the dealer has the parts and I should reach out to them to get it installed. So, I reached out to my Service Advisor and sure enough it had arrived. The advisor then says that they had been meaning to reach out to me about the part.

Maybe, I'm being a "****" but I don't see where the dealer should get any credit in process. What do you think?
i agree. they were a child misbehaving and you just called their mom, them behaving now is merely a consequence of the powers over them that you brought into the Debacle

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would tell the GM and the Service Manager that your willing to change the review based on the the quality of the work, the cleanliness of the truck upon return and a solid two weeks of driving to assure no squeaks, etc....You may then get them to put their most meticulous mechanic on the job. Otherwise, they may put their cheapest mechanic on the job....good luck with that.

Mlorra

Reaction score
Lucky you! I have the same issue, within 3 years of ownership, but exceeding 36,000 miles. My claim was denied. Guess it really depends who you get as your “case worker”…

Rototerrier

Reaction score
…and have the dealer cover the taxes. Dealer gets no good grace unless you are made completely whole.

PapaT

Reaction score
Having same issue in my 2019 Ram Limited. Ram Customer Care all but told me to get lost and quit calling them. My dealer says his Handare tied if Ram says no. This is my 4th Ram and I also have a Dodge Durango for my wife.
Quite possibly my last FCA vehicle. As for @RamCares , it should be RamDon’tCare!

went to Upholstry shop. Around $1300 to cover in vinyl. New leather dash is $725 + $500 labor to install.
Screwed either way!

rMoose

Reaction score
My warranty expired in August 2021 on my 2019 Ram Limited. My mileage however is under 36000. I have opened a case with Ram Customer Care to see if they will pay to replace my dash. We have had several significant temperature swings lately and all of the sudden it appears the leather on my dash just let go. On the passenger side, it's all bubbles. The driver's side appears to be pulling up on the section over the instrument cluster. I'm hoping they will provide some cost assistance since I'm under the mileage. Will know next week.

mkegley17

Reaction score
Having same issue in my 2019 Ram Limited. Ram Customer Care all but told me to get lost and quit calling them. My dealer says his Handare tied if Ram says no. This is my 4th Ram and I also have a Dodge Durango for my wife.
Quite possibly my last FCA vehicle. As for @RamCares , it should be RamDon’tCare!

went to Upholstry shop. Around $1300 to cover in vinyl. New leather dash is $725 + $500 labor to install.
Screwed either way!
What part # were you given? I purchased my truck used and definitely not covered by warranty. The dealership is trying to tell me I have to buy the ENTIRE dash at a $2 to 3k price point!

speedracernc

Reaction score
Ram would not pay for mine since I have over 60k miles on a 2019. I had an upholstery shop replace the leather with vinyl. Looks just like leather and it wont happen again. In the long run having a new leather dash doesn't solve the problem. It will just happen again. My 0.02 anyway.

jjklongisland

Reaction score
Just bought a 2019 Ram Longhorn with only 5,700 miles. When the sun is out there is no bubbling. Once the sun goes away bubbles appear on both sides of the center of the dash. Its obviously failed adhesive. I bought my ram used last week from a Chevy dealer as a trade in. I never noticed the leather issue until I woke up the next day after bringing it home and was like WTF??? Starting doing research and it looks like I am definitely not the only one. I am out of warranty due to the truck being older than 36 months. Still completely unacceptable. I will be sending Ram an official letter requesting it be fixed. Frustrated since my truck looks and drives literally like new except the dash. Angry :(

Users who are viewing this thread