5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freaking Leather Dash Problems

dandar

Reaction score
I had the same exact issue. Both sides started to develop a bubble underneath the leather. My dealer replaced the dash under warranty. It was close. I put in the order in April, warranty expired in June, dash was replaced in July.

Ramguymario

Reaction score
I had the same exact issue. Both sides started to develop a bubble underneath the leather. My dealer replaced the dash under warranty. It was close. I put in the order in April, warranty expired in June, dash was replaced in July.
was this covered under extended warranty or the factory 3 years coverage?

Simzram22

Reaction score
Ram would not pay for mine since I have over 60k miles on a 2019. I had an upholstery shop replace the leather with vinyl. Looks just like leather and it wont happen again. In the long run having a new leather dash doesn't solve the problem. It will just happen again. My 0.02 anyway.
How much did that run you, if you don’t mind me asking.

John Galt

Reaction score
I used to work for a company and the owner has a Viper….same thing happened so this is not a new problem with Dodge and even the high dollar vehicles are not exempt.

The advice they gave him is don’t park an $80k vehicle outside in the elements.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I used to work for a company and the owner has a Viper….same thing happened so this is not a new problem with Dodge and even the high dollar vehicles are not exempt.

The advice they gave him is don’t park an $80k vehicle outside in the elements.

Cost of the vehicle has nothing to do with it, don't park a vehicle that has a leather dash in the sunlight or use a windshield sun screen. Every car maker has this issue, I've had to redo the leather door panels in my car twice, leather upholstery shop told me it the humidity and the uv light that breaks the glue down

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Blanket statements need to be taken with a grain of salt. Here where I live, which happens to be 30 minutes from a major Toyota factory, the Toyota dealerships are AWFUL. My local Toyota dealer acts like they can't do anything. They did change a turn signal bulb for me on my Tundra, but they wouldn't service my transmission, they wouldn't install a new headlight stalk on the truck, and they generally are the most unhelpful group of people I know. I couldn't get help with my Tundra when it needed it, and yes Toyota does have a lot of issues they need help with, no matter what. It was pathetic. I ended up teaching myself to do a lot of work on Toyotas.

Conversely, my local Ram dealers are great. They'll help me with anything I need. I took my 13 year old Challenger in there last summer and they did everything they could to diagnose an electrical issue. They also do excellent work on repairs.

Sure, there are exceptions, your experience is clearly the exception based on the current industry rankings of dealership service satisfaction for the last 5 years or so. My personal experience matches the industry rankings, but you can find crappy Toyota dealers and good Stellantis dealers out there as you have.

BULLDOGG353

Reaction score
I'm so angry my head could explode!

So, I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. I paid $64,000+ and $3500 for an extended warranty.
Now the leather on the dash is peeling and I was told that nothing covers the leather or soft surfaces.
Seriously, my extended warranty doesn't cover it. Nope!! The dealer said to go try an interior shop or something!
I thought a bumper-to-bumper warranty would keep me covered, but it didn't. I know for a fact that Ford covers their leather,
anyways be very careful getting an FCA Ram Limited. Further, understand that all of that leather in your truck is not covered in your bumper-to-bumper warranty.
You're left on your own!!! BTW this is a known problem. I'm so angry, I'm sending a letter to FCA to complain about the lack of support for craftsmanship issues.
Who should I reach out to? The dealer was no help!

@RamCares Not sure if you can help but any assistance would be awesome.

I am outside of the manufactures warranty but thought that's what an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty was for.
I Feel your pain! No help from dealer or customer care and I also have extended bumper to bumper warranty! Leather not covered after 3-36 warranty even though everybody is well aware of this defect........

RamCares

Reaction score
I Feel your pain! No help from dealer or customer care and I also have extended bumper to bumper warranty! Leather not covered after 3-36 warranty even though everybody is well aware of this defect........
Hey there,

We'd like to hear more about what you experienced with customer care. Would you mind reaching out to us via direct messaging?

Callie
Ram Cares

speedracernc

Reaction score
How much did that run you, if you don’t mind me asking.
about $2500. It was more than I wanted to spend but now I know it wont happen again. leather on a dash is a waste. it shrinks because its a natural product. The vinyl looks great and only the most critical person would even notice.

JHRI

Reaction score
It sucks. I love the truck just can't believe that at 49k my dash started coming undone. Wish i would had done something ASAP, now at 54k not sure if Ram will help. Local dealer is a JOKE.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It sucks. I love the truck just can't believe that at 49k my dash started coming undone. Wish i would had done something ASAP, now at 54k not sure if Ram will help. Local dealer is a JOKE.
Miles will not make the leather bubble, time will.

John Galt

Reaction score
Would a dash cover have helped?
I hope so. I got one on mine for use outside but it’s normally garaged.

I also got 0% ceramic tint for the windshield that block IR/UV light.

BowDown

Reaction score
I hope so. I got one on mine for use outside but it’s normally garaged.

I also got 0% ceramic tint for the windshield that block IR/UV light.

I have 70% ceramic with IR/UV rejection on the windshield and sunroof but it still gets hot inside when sitting so I use the windshield shade

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/