5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freaking Leather Dash Problems

gshaw1967

Reaction score
I'm so angry my head could explode!

So, I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. I paid $64,000+ and $3500 for an extended warranty.
Now the leather on the dash is peeling and I was told that nothing covers the leather or soft surfaces.
Seriously, my extended warranty doesn't cover it. Nope!! The dealer said to go try an interior shop or something!
I thought a bumper-to-bumper warranty would keep me covered, but it didn't. I know for a fact that Ford covers their leather,
anyways be very careful getting an FCA Ram Limited. Further, understand that all of that leather in your truck is not covered in your bumper-to-bumper warranty.
You're left on your own!!! BTW this is a known problem. I'm so angry, I'm sending a letter to FCA to complain about the lack of support for craftsmanship issues.
Who should I reach out to? The dealer was no help!

@RamCares Not sure if you can help but any assistance would be awesome.

I am outside of the manufactures warranty but thought that's what an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty was for.

Attachments

• IMG_0664.JPG
    IMG_0664.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 587
Last edited:

GregHBNA

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You got SOAKED if you paid $3,500 for an extended warranty.

In another post, dated July 3, 2019, you stated your truck had 5800 miles on it, so are you still under any manufacturer warranty?

Price paid for the truck seems irrelevant.

Last edited:

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After hearing about, but never experiencing, a similar problem on the Grand Cherokees, I always put a windshield screen up outside and try to keep the cab as cool as possible, fearing that can cause it. I am surprised, though, that bumper-to-bumper doesn't cover bumper-to-bumper. It's not like the dash is a wear item like brake pads.

You could tag RamCares on your post.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did you have a film (tint or otherwise) put on your windshield?

gshaw1967

Reaction score
You got SOAKED if you paid $3,500 for an extended warranty.

Also. you just stated this was a 2019, and you didn't specify if you were still in the 3 year/36000 manufacturer warranty.

Price paid for the truck seems irrelevant.
Probably so, it was the 7-year unlimited mile FCA warranty. No, I'm not in the 36000 manufacturer's warranty but incorrectly assumed this was an extension of that warranty. Finally, the price of the truck seems totally relevant to me. It's the most expensive vehicle have ever purchased. Thanks for the reply!

gshaw1967

Reaction score
After hearing about, but never experiencing, a similar problem on the Grand Cherokees, I always put a windshield screen up outside and try to keep the cab as cool as possible, fearing that can cause it. I am surprised, though, that bumper-to-bumper doesn't cover bumper-to-bumper. It's not like the dash is a wear item like brake pads.

You could tag RamCares on your post.
Thanks that's what I was looking for!

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I have tint on everything but the windshield. I also use a sun blocker during the day.
I was wondering if a windshield tint had been installed because the installers might have gotten water in it during the process. But if your windshield isn’t tinted, then that’s not it.

GregHBNA

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Probably so, it was the 7-year unlimited mile FCA warranty. No, I'm not in the 36000 manufacturer's warranty but incorrectly assumed this was an extension of that warranty. Finally, the price of the truck seems totally relevant to me. It's the most expensive vehicle have ever purchased. Thanks for the reply!
Almost ANY extended warranty does "extend the manufacturer's warranty", but from "in service date - - the date the truck was sold", and is pretty comprehensive, but is not a bumper to bumper extension.

I was saying about price.......Leather isn't any better quality because of price point.

gshaw1967

Reaction score
Almost ANY extended warranty does "extend the manufacturer's warranty", but from "in service date - - the date the truck was sold", and is pretty comprehensive, but is not a bumper to bumper extension.

I was saying about price.......Leather isn't any better quality because of price point.
I'm just disappointed that the dash which doesn't get any wear & tear wouldn't be covered. Or the fact that FCA touts the amount of leather in the 1500 but doesn't cover it.

Finally, I wasn't connecting leather to the price point and only mention the price because it was an enormous amount of money for me to pay for a truck at the end of the day. However, your right price doesn't relate to quality.

ben b

Reaction score
I am very disappointed to hear that your dealer refuses to repair the leather under warranty. The Mopar warranty is definitely marketed as bumper to bumper.

What reasoning did they give for refusing coverage? Did the dealer point out any fine print that excludes servicing interior defects? Or are they claiming that you abused the leather? Or perhaps that the leather is still functional but just doesn't look good any more?

gshaw1967

Reaction score
The dealer claimed that all soft-touch spots and leather is only covered by the 36,000-mile warranty. Then they said that the bumper to bumper doesn't cover several items. I wasn't smart enough to ask where it says that soft-touch items and leather. I'm really hoping @RamCares can explain or help me out.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The dealer claimed that all soft-touch spots and leather is only covered by the 36,000-mile warranty. Then they said that the bumper to bumper doesn't cover several items. I wasn't smart enough to ask where it says that soft-touch items and leather. I'm really hoping @RamCares can explain or help me out.
I would assume that you have the paperwork that accompanies the extended warranty you purchased. Now would probably be the time to read it and understand exactly what is covered. There should be no debate about whether this is covered or not - it will be clearly defined.

Reverse

Reaction score
My 'Vehicle Protection Plan' states that following is excluded:

"Interior - trim; carpet; upholstery; dash pad; door and window handles; knobs; buttons; moldings; armrests and headliner; cargo cover; cosmetic appearance; torn/worn/soil"

gshaw1967

Reaction score
My 'Vehicle Protection Plan' states that following is excluded:

"Interior - trim; carpet; upholstery; dash pad; door and window handles; knobs; buttons; moldings; armrests and headliner; cargo cover; cosmetic appearance; torn/worn/soil"
Thanks for that info. I'm in the process of finding out that I have the Max Warranty which is supposed to cover over 5,000 items. Here is what it says is not covered:

WHAT’S NOT COVERED UNDER OUR MAXIMUM CARE SM PLANS The only parts and labor not covered: • Maintenance Services and items used in such services • Catalytic Converter and Particulate Filter • Glass, Plastic Lenses and Light Bulbs • Body and Paint items (including Soft Trim) • Snowplows, Winches and Trailer Hitches • Wear items (such as Tires, Manual Clutch Assembly, Brake Pads, Shoes, Rotors, Drums, Belts and Wipers)

gshaw1967

Reaction score
I think they've got you by the short hairs there.
Yes, I know your right. I have opened a case with the Ram support team. They are to reach out to me in 24hrs to see if there is any help they can provide. I'll keep you posted.

That said, has anyone repaired this dash issue themselves? I'd be interested in how you did it.

Hasti17

Reaction score
Yes, I know your right. I have opened a case with the Ram support team. They are to reach out to me in 24hrs to see if there is any help they can provide. I'll keep you posted.

That said, has anyone repaired this dash issue themselves? I'd be interested in how you did it.
I'm not an uhpolstery guy, and this is 100% NOT professional advice, but ive restored a few boats with uhpolstery issues, and given what i can see, I think I'd find whatever type of adhesive would work best for that leather, and a couple of soft applicators used in applying vinyl wraps. I would fill a syringe with said adhesive and inject adhesive (not very much) at regular intervals into the cavity created by the separated material. And use the applicator and most likely some wax paper in between to slowly press the material back onto the dash panel.

Users who are viewing this thread