5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freaking Leather Dash Problems

speedracernc

Reaction score
Just bought a 2019 Ram Longhorn with only 5,700 miles. When the sun is out there is no bubbling. Once the sun goes away bubbles appear on both sides of the center of the dash. Its obviously failed adhesive. I bought my ram used last week from a Chevy dealer as a trade in. I never noticed the leather issue until I woke up the next day after bringing it home and was like WTF??? Starting doing research and it looks like I am definitely not the only one. I am out of warranty due to the truck being older than 36 months. Still completely unacceptable. I will be sending Ram an official letter requesting it be fixed. Frustrated since my truck looks and drives literally like new except the dash. Angry :(
Good luck. They told me to pound sand. Vinyl replacement is the way to go.

jjklongisland

Reaction score
Good luck. They told me to pound sand. Vinyl replacement is the way to go.
I am not that confident they will do the right thing. How much did it cost you to have the dash recovered?

Nobody was better that Lexus. In 2017 I bought a 2009 Lexus LS460 which was way out of warranty. There was a known issue with the dash boards being "sticky" to the touch as they got older. Lexus was so amazing they replaced all of the interior components on a 10 year old car. Now that is superior customer service and a manufacturer actually owning up to their faults.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am not that confident they will do the right thing. How much did it cost you to have the dash recovered?

Nobody was better that Lexus. In 2017 I bought a 2009 Lexus LS460 which was way out of warranty. There was a known issue with the dash boards being "sticky" to the touch as they got older. Lexus was so amazing they replaced all of the interior components on a 10 year old car. Now that is superior customer service and a manufacturer actually owning up to their faults.
Yeah, I had a 2007 IS250 with the same problem (that I bought new in 2006). They replaced all my door panels as well as my dash - almost 10 years later.
I had all sorts of gouges in the driver-side door panel from when my fingernails would hit the door while reaching for the handle.

speedracernc

Reaction score
Yeah, I had a 2007 IS250 with the same problem (that I bought new in 2006). They replaced all my door panels as well as my dash - almost 10 years later.
I had all sorts of gouges in the driver-side door panel from when my fingernails would hit the door while reaching for the handle.
Cost $1200. Looks OEM the SRS airbag lettering on the passenger side.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Toyota/Lexus is generally that way. There is a reason why we have a new Toyota crossover and old Lexus still still on our driveway, and why I actually let the dealer do the oil changes on our crossover even though I refuse to let RAM service my truck.

Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Toyota/Lexus is generally that way. There is a reason why we have a new Toyota crossover and old Lexus still still on our driveway, and why I actually let the dealer do the oil changes on our crossover even though I refuse to let RAM service my truck.
Go get a Tundra please.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Go get a Tundra please.

Either you like Tundra's or more likely suggesting I get a Tundra because I think Toyota/Lexus service is superior to RAM service? Are you offended for some reason about this?

You know you can prefer a certain brand of vehicle and not have to like the ****ty dealership network that comes with it. Just because I drive a RAM doesn't mean I have to defend their garbage in last place service department.

If I could pay my Toyota dealer to service my RAM, I would. However, I can't stand the new Tundra, it would be last on my list of full size trucks to own. See how that works, I can mix and match the things I like about vehicles and their dealerships, it's called being open minded.

Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Either you like Tundra's or more likely suggesting I get a Tundra because I think Toyota/Lexus service is superior to RAM service? Are you offended for some reason about this?

You know you can prefer a certain brand of vehicle and not have to like the ****ty dealership network that comes with it. Just because I drive a RAM doesn't mean I have to defend their garbage in last place service department.

If I could pay my Toyota dealer to service my RAM, I would. However, I can't stand the new Tundra, it would be last on my list of full size trucks to own. See how that works, I can mix and match the things I like about vehicles and their dealerships, it's called being open minded.
You do realize it's on the dealer not the brand to run a service department. Do you think Toyota doesn't have crap techs that can over fill an engine, scratch a car, or misdiagnosis a vehicle? Google is filled with people bitching about ther Toyota dealers.

What stops you from paying the Toyota dealer from servicing your Ram?

It's on the dealer not the manufacturer on how bad the customer service is. If the vehicle is out of base warranty the dash would have to be "goodwilled", a dealer can self authorize this within certain time frame and mileage set by the manufacturer. That said dealers will look at customer history, that is a huge deciding factor.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
There's no reason your Toyota dealership can't service your Ram. The only thing they can't do is warranty work. I used to have my local Chevy dealership service my vehicles, regardless of brand. Until that dealership changed hands and their service department went to $hit.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
You do realize it's on the dealer not the brand to run a service department. Do you think Toyota doesn't have crap techs that can over fill an engine, scratch a car, or misdiagnosis a vehicle? Google is filled with people bitching about ther Toyota dealers.

It's on the dealer not the manufacturer on how bad the customer service is. If the vehicle is out of base warranty the dash would have to be "goodwilled", a dealer can self authorize this within certain time frame and mileage set by the manufacturer. That said dealers will look at customer history, that is a huge deciding factor.

I know that, I've mentioned it many times in my other posts it's individual owned franchises, not the manufacturer. However, it's a reflection of how Stellantis franchises it's dealership network and how they are allowed to run. My issue is that Stellantis sold way too many trucks, Jeeps and Dodge cars these last few years without doing anything about the capacity of their network under their franchises.

It shows in the customer experience in the whole department from top to bottom. How they can barely answer phone calls, apathetic to simple issues, that all stem from them having to many customers to service for the network they have. How they turn little issues into big problems due to lack of capacity and/or overworked. I've owned Jeep products in the past, it wasn't always this way, you can see how it happened when sale took off several years ago.

Of course all dealerships can have problems, and you can find anyone complaining online from any place. But just look at the annual dealership satisfaction rankings, how Stellantis dealerships are at or near the bottom these last few years. It's not by accident.

In the end, its down to my experience. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have no complaints, it's just that the 4 dealerships near me have been crap and it just happens to match the national data on that. The almost night and day customer experience I have with the service advisors between my RAM and Toyota dealerships.

As for the dealership goodwill, absolutely agree on that, that's the best way to get out of warranty work approved is the dealer going to bat for you based on your service history with them. Or as you said, self authorize too.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
There's no reason your Toyota dealership can't service your Ram. The only thing they can't do is warranty work. I used to have my local Chevy dealership service my vehicles, regardless of brand. Until that dealership changed hands and their service department went to $hit.

I guess because in reality I would feel kinda weird having my late model RAM still under warranty being serviced by another brand dealership. I also been enjoying doing the service myself, now that I have been doing it, find it somewhat therapeutic.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know that, I've mentioned it many times in my other posts it's individual owned franchies, not the manufacturer. However, it's a reflection of how Stellantis franchises it's dealership network and how they are allowed to run. My issue is that Stellantis sold way too many trucks, Jeeps and Dodge cars these last few years without doing anything about the capacity of their network under their franchises.

It shows in the customer experience in the whole department from top to bottom. How they can barely answer phone calls, apathetic to simple issues, that all stem from them having to many customers to service for the network they have. How they turn little issues into big problems due to lack of capacity and/or overworked. I've owned Jeep products in the past, it wasn't always this way, you can see how it happened when sale took off several years ago.

Of course all dealerships can have problems, and you can find anyone complaining online from any place. But just look at the annual dealership satisfaction rankings, how Stellantis dealerships are at or near the bottom these last few years. It's not by accident.

In the end, its down to my experience. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have no complaints, it's just that the 4 dealerships near me have been crap and it just happens to match the national data on that.

As for the dealership goodwill, absolutely agree on that, that's the best way to get out of warranty work approved is the dealer going to bat for you based on your service history with them.
Again it's on each dealer to staff their facilities to handle their demand. 2 separate brands in town one is scheduling week of Sept 12 other is scheduling week of Oct 10, would the brand that is scheduling to Oct be a lesser brand or service department based on your metrics alone?

I'm great full to deal with a competent dealer, unfortunately there are bad ones everywhere.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Again it's on each dealer to staff their facilities to handle their demand. 2 separate brands in town one is scheduling week of Sept 12 other is scheduling week of Oct 10, would the brand that is scheduling to Oct be a lesser brand or service department based on your metrics alone?

I'm great full to deal with a competent dealer, unfortunately there are bad ones everywhere.

Absolutely, but they are working with outside forces such new vehicle sales that hurts their ability to service their customers. Not their fault directly, it's Stellantis for how they franchise their network and the capacity they allow.

My criteria isn't based on the scheduling, but how the service advisors act. Do they follow-up with calls on status? Do they listen to my concerns? Just basic stuff that is sometimes blown off due to them being too busy.

Toyota sells a lot of vehicles, but they seem to have found a balance in their capacity. I wish I had a local dealer I trusted as much, I'm sure there are plenty out there, but not around me.

RamCares

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

If you're experiencing this problem with your truck, please reach out to us via direct messaging. We'd love to see how we can help.

Callie
Ram Cares

Ramguymario

Reaction score
2019 limited over here, same issue beginning to happen on the edges of the dash near the window, as well as as slight bubble above the gauge cluster. Will bring up to my dealer during my next visit. unfortunate leather quality. makes sense on a 15 year old ferrari, but a new truck??? dissapointed in FCA

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To those that have had this done at the dealer, what did the repair entail?

I have a bubble forming but if the fix is R&R the full dash.... no thanks!

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Blanket statements need to be taken with a grain of salt. Here where I live, which happens to be 30 minutes from a major Toyota factory, the Toyota dealerships are AWFUL. My local Toyota dealer acts like they can't do anything. They did change a turn signal bulb for me on my Tundra, but they wouldn't service my transmission, they wouldn't install a new headlight stalk on the truck, and they generally are the most unhelpful group of people I know. I couldn't get help with my Tundra when it needed it, and yes Toyota does have a lot of issues they need help with, no matter what. It was pathetic. I ended up teaching myself to do a lot of work on Toyotas.

Conversely, my local Ram dealers are great. They'll help me with anything I need. I took my 13 year old Challenger in there last summer and they did everything they could to diagnose an electrical issue. They also do excellent work on repairs.

Ramguymario

Reaction score
Hey @Ramguymario ,

When you bring your vehicle back to your dealership, send us a DM! We'd love to submit a goodwill request for you for the repair of your dashboard.

Callie
Ram Cares
I have just placed my next appointment, will be DMing you with the details! thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread