5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those with 6 speaker base stereo who have upgraded-What speaker did you use?

D-dub

Reaction score
I just installed my new Infinity speakers in the front doors today. All I can say is WOW! Night and day difference. Now there's actually some clarity. The lows are good and the highs are definitely more bright and it plays louder as well. Waiting for the rain to quit then I can get out and get the rear door speakers put in. Best $200 I've spent so far.

WhiteZombie

Reaction score
I bypassed the ANC using the PAC APH-CH01 wiring harness, but left it plugged in / powered) (I didn't want to throw codes, but have since read here that there's nothing wrong with removing it entirely). Used a Dayton DSP to translate the high-level inputs to RCA for the amps, and I like it a lot.
What device, if any, do you have between the head unit and the dsp? Also, what type of wire are you using between each device? I was hoping to be able to use a toslink cable from the stock head unit straight to a dsp.

Last edited:

RichInMN

Reaction score
What device, if any, do you have between the head unit and the dsp? Also, what type of wire are you using between each device? I was hoping to be able to use a toslink cable from the stock head unit straight to a dsp.
There's nothing like a Toslink cable out of the head unit - just high-level outputs straight into the DSP courtesy of the PAC harness for ease of wiring.

neeginan

Reaction score
I have the base 6 speaker system. Today I installed the Infinity Reference 3032 CFX dash speakers. I also installed the 600Hz bass blockers. I wanted to ensure that the polarity was correct and the adapter I had was also mis-wired. So I had to re-connectorize them to get it right. BTW, my factory dash speakers were wired correctly from the factory - positive wire to positive / negative wire to negative on the speaker. My truck was built in August 2020.

I actually did the driver's side only at first and used the equalizer to compare the sound left to right. There was no question about the improvement in sound quality and clarity. I also noticed that yes, the dash speaker volume is greater now (due to the ohms as discussed many times here in this thread). But it is a way better balance overall. I used the equalizer/fader/bass/treble/loudness settings to find settings that are great for me. Most of the time, I drive solo in my vehicles and I use the balance to pick up more sound from the passenger side speakers. Other than in my very small BMW Z4, I do this in all of my vehicles. If my wife joins me in the truck, I move it back to the center. After this install, I found that adjusting to the passenger side and to the rear a bit was perfect. A huge improvement in overall system sound quality. Still decent mid and bass punch from the door speakers front and rear. Highly recommended upgrade.

Thanks for all contributors to these threads for helping me narrow down my options before proceeding.

Last edited:

Kone

Reaction score
Did the FaitalPro dash speaker install today and wanted to thank all those that came before me and helped lay the groundwork here.

Took me ~3 hrs total, half to modify the speaker tabs and fix the backwards wiring of the Metra connectors (very disappointed they haven't been fixed yet and that Crutchfield continues to push them as-is). The other half of time was the actual install.

I have to agree it was a totally worth it upgrade. They sound so much better over oem and if you have an ear for clearer, crisper sound this is for you.

My plan is to also do the front doors w Infinitys at some point. We shall see on that. Definitely won't do any more than that tho.

PeteyK49

Reaction score
Did the FaitalPro dash speaker install today and wanted to thank all those that came before me and helped lay the groundwork here.

Took me ~3 hrs total, half to modify the speaker tabs and fix the backwards wiring of the Metra connectors (very disappointed they haven't been fixed yet and that Crutchfield continues to push them as-is). The other half of time was the actual install.

I have to agree it was a totally worth it upgrade. They sound so much better over oem and if you have an ear for clearer, crisper sound this is for you.

My plan is to also do the front doors w Infinitys at some point. We shall see on that. Definitely won't do any more than that tho.
I must’ve lucked out. My faital pros were basically drop in with the bass blockers and metra adapters from crutchfield. I just trimmed a tab off the speakers and made one hole bigger on each speaker and trimmed down the raised part of the tabs I drilled out. But yes!!! They sound way better than stock!! I put a cheapo powered sub to go with it and wow what a difference!

Ratchet

Reaction score
Base system here as well. Replaced all 4 door speakers with Alpine S69 series 6x9s. The highs came alive! Nowhere near the sound quality of my of my previous 14 Grand Cherokee with the Alpine system, but a necessary cost effective upgrade for the Ram. I may add an amp and sub later if I get bored. I don't usually have the volume much over 20 anyways, so wasn't gonna go all crazy with competetion grade components (yet).

Kone

Reaction score
I must’ve lucked out. My faital pros were basically drop in with the bass blockers and metra adapters from crutchfield. I just trimmed a tab off the speakers and made one hole bigger on each speaker and trimmed down the raised part of the tabs I drilled out. But yes!!! They sound way better than stock!! I put a cheapo powered sub to go with it and wow what a difference!
I had to do the same thing with the speaker tabs but the Metra adapters were definitely wired backwards (for my use) so that was a waste of time and $. In the end, they did save me from cutting the oem harness off I guess.

Kone

Reaction score
Want to do the front door speakers next. Is there a consensus favorite brand/model that's a direct replacement for size and ohms? Thanks.

D-dub

Reaction score
Want to do the front door speakers next. Is there a consensus favorite brand/model that's a direct replacement for size and ohms? Thanks.
I put Infinity Reference REF-9632ix in all 4 doors on mine. They are rated about 3 ohm. I left the stock dash speakers in. The sound quality is night and day. They also play louder than the originals.

dbark

Reaction score
Just ordered the Faital Pro dash speakers from Parts Express with harnesses and bass blockers from Crutchfield. Thanks for all the info in this thread! Mine is a V6 so no ANC under the seat, is that going to make any difference?

D-dub

Reaction score
Just ordered the Faital Pro dash speakers from Parts Express with harnesses and bass blockers from Crutchfield. Thanks for all the info in this thread! Mine is a V6 so no ANC under the seat, is that going to make any difference?

I don't think so. I have a '20 eco diesel without the ANC and I just replaced the door speakers and I'm completely happy with the outcome with just that. Sounds like you got it covered. 👍👍

Kone

Reaction score

Dont think so but make sure the harnesses aren't wired backwards.

dbark

Reaction score
I installed the Faital Pro dash speakers with bass blockers a couple days ago. Haven't had much time to mess with it but I can already tell it's a really good improvement for not much money or time

Drivinfast247

Reaction score
hey guys would it be easier for you all if you just take it to and "Installer".they do this stuff all the time and have all the right and necessary parts to get it done right.it would leave out a lot of guessing and its done.
Every single shop I've called in Michigan will not work on my 2019 BH. Most told me to leave it as is. The one that would work on it knew nothing about the PAC harness and would cut into the factory wiring.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Drivinfast247

Reaction score
The signal and compressed nature of the data is why I do not renew XM radio, it sounds terrible compared to other input sources. Even Bluetooth sounds better than XM. The best fix I've found for volume clipping is fade the sound to the front a few notches
My '15 Silverado LT audio was heaps better in clarity and punch than this thing. FM, XM, Bluetooth all sounded much better.

Kone

Reaction score
I installed the Faital Pro dash speakers with bass blockers a couple days ago. Haven't had much time to mess with it but I can already tell it's a really good improvement for not much money or time
Totally agree. So much so I'm not sure I'll do anything more than the dash speakers. My plan was to put (Infinitys?) in the front doors but I honestly don't think I'll get much more bang for the $.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My '15 Silverado LT audio was heaps better in clarity and punch than this thing. FM, XM, Bluetooth all sounded much better.

Oh yeah, the base system in my 2017 Ram Tradesman was better as well. There's no question the base system is crap this Gen. It's just another corner they cut, my 4th Gen had better quality in the parts, also fit and finish

Norvak

Reaction score
I’m looking at upgrading my speakers. My biggest concern with the stock system is over a certain volume it doesn’t get any louder. My truck is quieter than my 4th gen was. Both base systems.

Do these speaker upgrades allow the system to go louder, or does it just add clarity?

Users who are viewing this thread