5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those with 6 speaker base stereo who have upgraded-What speaker did you use?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I figured sound would be source dependent. Can you tell me if the base 6 speaker unit will accept usb drive audio and if it can handle high bit rate lossless audio files?
I'm not sure what kind of USB source you are referring to (thumb drive, phone, etc.) but if I'm not listening to the satellite radio I am playing MP3s from my USB thumb drive with no issue.

As for using my phone as the source (I have an iPhone) I don't do that very much but when I have it sounds better through BT than it does through Apple CarPlay (USB cord).

MarkB67

Reaction score
I figured sound would be source dependent. Can you tell me if the base 6 speaker unit will accept usb drive audio and if it can handle high bit rate lossless audio files?
I’m not sure but I have purchased a 3.5 audio cable and the converter to the iPhone port and it is a lot better than Bluetooth

MarkB67

Reaction score
It may sound better through the AUX port with the 3.5mm jack but as far as USB goes my BT sounds better than the CarPlay.
Well that tells me that CarPlay is garbage then, I haven’t tried it but I thought it was a wired connection,what is your source for music? Pandora, Itunes , Amazon music ? Other?

mophead

Reaction score
Well that tells me that CarPlay is garbage then, I haven’t tried it but I thought it was a wired connection,what is your source for music? Pandora, Itunes , Amazon music ? Other?
You'd think they would have worked this out as popular as Carplay is. You're always going to have better sound with a better source. I'm wondering if either units will handle large high bitrate music files (greater than MP3's) like WAV, FLAC, WMA lossless etc? I'm using a thumb drive for my music so I'm also wondering if both the 6 speaker and Alpine will allow usage and what file formats they will support. I don't expect to use Carplay for anything other than projecting Google maps to the screen.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think CarPlay is garbage. Music is a very small part of what you can do. My phone mirrors great on my screen. I really only use it for phone calls and Apple/Google maps and it works great.

The only streaming music I have is Pandora which I usually listen to when I'm working in the yard or garage. I have an iPhone 11 which does not allow any 3rd party .mp3 files to be loaded (if I didn't buy it through iTunes then I can't have it on the phone). I don't use iTunes so I have no need to play music from my phone. It's either satellite radio or thumb drive for me (my entire library is .mp3).

You'd think they would have worked this out as popular as Carplay is. You're always going to have better sound with a better source. I'm wondering if either units will handle large high bitrate music files (greater than MP3's) like WAV, FLAC, WMA lossless etc? I'm using a thumb drive for my music so I'm also wondering if both the 6 speaker and Alpine will allow usage and what file formats they will support. I don't expect to use Carplay for anything other than projecting Google maps to the screen.
I've only used MP3s on my thumb drive with no issue.

The owner's manual is pretty vague about music files:

USB.jpg

It's a couple of years old but here's something from the uConnect website regarding uConnect 4:

Music.jpg

Google-ing shows some other FCA owner's have also verified that .flac files will play but .alac (iTunes format?) files will not.

I have a tiny 16GB USB-C thumb drive so the 64GB limit is not an issue for me. I only keep a few hundred songs on it at a time to shuffle through.

Last edited:

mophead

Reaction score
I don't think CarPlay is garbage. Music is a very small part of what you can do. My phone mirrors great on my screen. I really only use it for phone calls and Apple/Google maps and it works great.

The only streaming music I have is Pandora which I usually listen to when I working in the yard or garage. I have an iPhone 11 which does not allow any 3rd party .mp3 files to be loaded (if I didn't buy it through iTunes then I can't have it on the phone). I don't use iTunes so I have no need to play music from my phone. It's either satellite radio or thumb drive for me (my entire library is .mp3).

I've only used MP3s on my thumb drive with no issue.

The owner's manual is pretty vague about music files:

View attachment 82617

It's a couple of years old but here's something from the uConnect website regarding uConnect 4:

View attachment 82618

Google-ing shows some other FCA owner's have also verified that .flac files will play but .alac (iTunes format?) files will not.

I have a tiny 16GB USB-C thumb drive so the 64GB limit is not an issue for me. I only keep a few hundred songs on it at a time to shuffle through.
Thanks Brian! Exactly what I was looking for. VERY Helpful!

WhiteZombie

Reaction score
So everyone likes the Faisal Pro 3FE22 speakers in the dash. Has anyone tried anything else such as: Hertz DCX 87.3, Audio Frog GB25, Dayton Audio PS95, Tang Band Bamboo, etc.?

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So everyone likes the Faisal Pro 3FE22 speakers in the dash. Has anyone tried anything else such as: Hertz DCX 87.3, Audio Frog GB25, Dayton Audio PS95, Tang Band Bamboo, etc.?
"TangBand"is the first i heard of them👍

also you may want to try is "Audison"👍

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not everyone has been happy with the faitalPROs but most have.

I have not heard/read of the other speakers you listed being used. I specifically wanted to keep the 8 ohm impedance of the OEM speakers and do not have any plans to add anything else (amplifiers, subwoofer(s), replace door speakers).

Just doing a quick Google search and comparing to the faitalPRO 3FE22-8:

Hertz DCX 87.3 - 4 ohm impedance, looks like it would fit the dash mounts, about $35 more than the faitalPRO

Audio Frog GB25 - 4 ohm impedance, might fit in the dash opening but no way to mount it without creative modification, about $380 more than the faitalPRO

Dayton Audio PS95 - 8 ohm impedance, might/might not fit the OEM dash mounts (someone would have to buy them and test fit), are about $20 cheaper than the faitalPRO

Tang Band - Various models but the mounting holes are in the circular frame like the Dayton Audio so a test fit or willingness to modify the mounting points in the dash would mostly likely be necessary to mount the speakers.

I'm not sure what the driving force for the first person to use the faitalPROs (the first person I read about them from was @Sonnie) but a number of us jumped on it as a direct replacement with no other system mods (replacing more speakers, bypassing ANC, adding amplifiers, etc.) and were happy with it.

The biggest limitation is the mounting location as there are only two screw holes and limited space to the windshield. Inside the dash it opens up for a good amount of room for depth, magnet size, and bass blockers to fit.

As time goes on others will branch out, try other speakers, find out how to make them work, then post up their work for others to possibly follow.

Other generations have 10+ years of trucks and people playing around with them. The 5th gen is only a few years old at this point so we've got a ways to go before there's a laundry list of possibilities to choose from that others have done.

Just my .02

Last edited:

PeteyK49

Reaction score
Installed the faitals Pros in the dash today. What a world of a difference. I could actually hear my music doing 80mph on the highway with the windows down! Way better than the stock speakers in every way. I got the metra adapters and bass blockers from crutch field for a 5 min install... just plug and play. Now I need a good powered subwoofer to get some bump

WhiteZombie

Reaction score
For those of you who replaced the stock speakers and added an amplifier and sub what did you do with the ANC? I have seen several wiring harnesses used and don’t know which way I want to go. Did the ANC remain active and in use? Was the ANC bypassed? Whatever y’all did I want to hear about it

RichInMN

Reaction score
For those of you who replaced the stock speakers and added an amplifier and sub what did you do with the ANC? I have seen several wiring harnesses used and don’t know which way I want to go. Did the ANC remain active and in use? Was the ANC bypassed? Whatever y’all did I want to hear about it
I bypassed the ANC using the PAC APH-CH01 wiring harness, but left it plugged in / powered) (I didn't want to throw codes, but have since read here that there's nothing wrong with removing it entirely). Used a Dayton DSP to translate the high-level inputs to RCA for the amps, and I like it a lot.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My ANC is completely bypassed, it's under the seat just for looks now, used iDatalink bCH3. When I finally upgrade the sound system I'll put the amp there. There may be a body code but the check engine light isn't on
image000000.jpg

D-dub

Reaction score
I've been reading up on this entire thread for the past few days. It's been a great read. I have a 2020 1500 eco diesel and the 6 speaker system. It does not have the ANC..(thank God!) I to have decided to replace the door speakers due to their low volume and muddy sounding characteristics. I watched alot of videos on how to do this. Doesn't look like a bad project at all. I went with Crutchfield for 4 infinity reference 6x9 2-ways. I should have them on Wednesday. However, there is some info Crutchfield is wrong about. Crutchfield says that the speakers are 2 ohm for the 6 speaker system. I pulled my door apart and my speakers are 4 ohm. So their info is not 100% accurate. The dash speakers are 8 ohm, like everyone else's. Looking forward to the improved sound clarity, bass, and volume.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
someone told me you have 6 microphones in your truck that means you have anc

WhiteZombie

Reaction score
I bypassed the ANC using the PAC APH-CH01 wiring harness, but left it plugged in / powered) (I didn't want to throw codes, but have since read here that there's nothing wrong with removing it entirely). Used a Dayton DSP to translate the high-level inputs to RCA for the amps, and I like it a lot.
Since the ANC is bypassed with the PAC and you installed new speakers and amps were you able to run your system at any ohm you wanted? I don’t want to run the stock ohm setup on aftermarket speakers.

RichInMN

Reaction score
Since the ANC is bypassed with the PAC and you installed new speakers and amps were you able to run your system at any ohm you wanted? I don’t want to run the stock ohm setup on aftermarket speakers.
Yep - the ohm rating is matched to my amps now instead of the odd stock setup. I also have channel-by-channel control with the DSP I added; parametric EQ and customizable crossover. Love the control & ability to adjust it on my phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/