5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowmaster...Borla...Magnaflow???

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I didn't even look for weep holes...were are they and I'll hop under the truck tomorrow to take a look? Any pics would be great. Why would you fill them?

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Weep holes are tiny slots in the resonators, not the MF muffler. Some have complained that when they change their mufflers they can hear “air noise/leak”, specifically when the cylinders deactivate from 8 to 6 in MDS. I guess that’s because you are changing the airflow so air is escaping differently. The problem with plugging the holes is that they are there to allow condensation to escape and if you seal them your weld joints will almost certainly rust from the inside.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So my B2 MF came in today and I installed it today. The install went pretty easy. One thing is that it leaked a lot from the clamp. So i used muffler weld paste on the clamp end and tightened. There is no leak now.
I love the deep sound this muffler makes. I did think it was gonna be louder but i am happy with this setup.
I did see afterward that i will have to adjust one tip a little bit to center and recess it.
With time more sound will come. Should be deeper

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This thread just makes me more informed and confused at the same time. I got rear ended and it bent up my exhaust slightly (very minor) and progressive has agreed to give me a check instead of replacing it with OEM. Should be around $1,000. Soooo what do I do? Spoke with 2 local shops. 1st said they could do a magnaflow muffler replacement for $300 or full cat back for $650. 2nd shop suggested just muffler replacement because they really like the stock system and how well it is made, but I’m worried about the sound and drone.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I agree with that the stock system is well made, but hearing the resonator crowd is 50:50 complaining about drone with MDS I’m inclined to go with a full system. And if I do that I think I might want to go Borla Touring. My wife is adamant about it not being very loud and I have a 2-month old too so NO DRONE.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
The reason many people don’t think a full catback (vs muffler replace only) is “as good” of a value on this truck is because the existing exhaust already has high quality stainless. So from that standpoint it’s kind of a waste because you’re throwing away good SS. If you just go with a muffler replacement and you don’t cut out (delete) the resonators, you should be fine with no drone.
Some will still do a full catback because it takes the sound to another level. Some systems can accomplish that without drone (some do and some don’t) even though the resonators are deleted in a catback, because the new pipes are designed, diameter and bends, in conjunction with the muffler, to properly handle the airflow (without drone).

The simple way to look at it: cost effective, simple, added growl....muffler replace only. Otherwise, full catback.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
As you can see from reading these threads, sound is mostly subjective. Drone to some is music to others. If you do a muffler delete, drone is a given. Muffler replace and resonator delete, drone is highly likely. Muffler replace and leave resonators, drone unlikely. Full catback, drone depends on the manufacturer and aggressiveness. The more aggressive and loud, the more drone you will hear.
I think you are also talking two issues: drone and the sound some hear when MDS kicks in which is caused by air being forced through the weep holes of the resonators, which I personally view as totally separate. For instance, if you have straight thru pipes you will have drone on any vehicle, with or without MDS. So I view drone as the frequency (constant rumble) you will hear inside and outside the cabin. Mufflers and moreso resonators, will attempt to remove those low frequencies.
If you just do a muffler replace you will be safe from drone. If you are going to do a full catback you will have to pay attention to how aggressive the setup is. Read about them on here and try to find sound clips and reviews.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
That’s how it was when my Borla muffler paired with Carven tips was. The driver’s side is in further then my passenger side. Don’t know if it’s because of my bedstep, or a lazy tech installing it..

What Borla muffler do you have?

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
Thanks. I wasn’t sure if a center/offset or offset/offset would be easier for the install.

Did you get rid of the resonators as well?

PorBoy

Reaction score
The resonators are still in place, I soley went with the muffler and added the Carven black tips...

Cpierich

Reaction score
Anyone around Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA area with the B2 fabrication Magnaflow muffler? If anyone would be willing to meet up, I'd like to hear it in person before purchasing.

frosty

Reaction score
I've been researching exhausts and direct fit for a while now. on my last ram had a flow master. so wanted a change. after looking and listening to sound clips I've decided to give the carven competitor direct fit muffler a go. From the vids I've watched got good sound and not bad inside the cab. Anyone have this on there truck now?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I strongly suggest the B2 Magnaflow option. The only thing that I heard is nice from Carven are their tips. The B2 is $260 shipped to your door.

Users who are viewing this thread