5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extended warranty

Yabodie

Reaction score
Question on the extended warranties, looking at the terms they seem to start at the original time of purchase. So if you buy an 8 year plan in effect that is only a 5 year plan after the first 3 year original plan expires. Or is it actually a total of 11 years, (3 original + 8 extended)? Thanks for the insight.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Question on the extended warranties, looking at the terms they seem to start at the original time of purchase. So if you buy an 8 year plan in effect that is only a 5 year plan after the first 3 year original plan expires. Or is it actually a total of 11 years, (3 original + 8 extended)? Thanks for the insight.
It begins at the IN SERVICE date so an 8 year warranty is 8 years, not 11. And if your warranty is for 100K mikes, it's 100K miles, not 136K miles.

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There’s plenty of good reasons to avoid 3rd party, try a search. Other threads give the 2 main discount sources for factory Mopar warranties, I don’t have one so I don’t keep up with the latest.
Usually the dealer will not match their discounted prices. Its a huge add on moneymaker for the F&I guy.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It begins at the IN SERVICE date so an 8 year warranty is 8 years, not 11. And if your warranty is for 100K mikes, it's 100K miles, not 136K miles.
Another reason I wouldn’t buy extended warranty. Even if you get some of the money back, I’d guess you don’t get that first 3 years back. And you should have a full 3/36000 of factory warranty, I’d guess during that time that extended warranty is not very helpful?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Another reason I wouldn’t buy extended warranty. Even if you get some of the money back, I’d guess you don’t get that first 3 years back. And you should have a full 3/36000 of factory warranty, I’d guess during that time that extended warranty is not very helpful?
Do you plan on keeping your truck past the 3/36 warranty? If so, then it may have a benefit based on how you long you plan to keep it and how many miles you plan to drive. Not for everyone, but with the cost of electronics in vehicles today, one repair could cost far more than your warranty did.

SJC5

Reaction score
What I did was take the Zeigler only quote with the "Payinfull" discount to the dealer when I bought the truck and they matched the price of the MOPAR warranty without hesitation or question (before they even started the sales BS pitch). Zeigler is selling the exact same thing - Mopar Maximum Care. This is the same as buying directly from Ram Dealership or Ram (Dodge) Company, the only difference is buying it online from the Zeigler site. I got the 8 year/85k $100 deductible for $1430. The dealer and/or Ram Direct will match Zeigler as they are the exact same product (not a third party). BUT, one item I realized form other forum thread is the extended warranty does NOT cover the rear window frame crack that is plaguing the 1500 5th gen series for 2019, 2020 and one report of early 2021 (Rebel). That is very annoying as this seems to be fairly widespread.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Basically the extended warranty doesn't do anything for you until after the 3/36 ends. Then it kicks in but only from the “in service” date so really its always the term - 3 years and 36K miles... not really how it is marketed or understood by the average Joe buyer. Its also sold by using “fear tactics” from the F&I guy. (Not saying there’s not reasons to buy it at all, just noting the sales tactics used).

The long gone lifetime warranty was a great deal however you can bet it cost FCA more than their accountants liked, thus its demise.

My brother had a Jeep GC with the 7/100K warranty and he really used it, then sold it after getting everything possible fixed on their dime just prior to 100K. 👍 But then the mid 2000’s Jeep's were not well rated.

I paid $1700 for a 5 yr 75K extended on my Ferd and got zero, zilch, nada out of it.
All ext warranties are a bet. They bet you won’t use it enough (or at all) and you bet that you will... 🤔 In my case Ferd won big time! 😮😕

All you can do is “roll the dice” if you are so inclined. I chose not to, the jury is still out and will be for years!

RJS

Reaction score
There is no question that Ram makes money on this deal as do all companies that provide protection for maintenance, life, vehicle insurance, etc.

That given, it's a choice as to "How lucky do you feel" whether you buy it.

There are benefits to having the service agreement during the 3/36 mile warranty period. Expanded roadside assistance, key fob replacement, trip interruption, rental allowance if dealer won't provide a loaner and taxi reimbursement among them. Are they worth the added cost? Only you can determine if it fits your requirements.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What I did was take the Zeigler only quote with the "Payinfull" discount to the dealer when I bought the truck and they matched the price of the MOPAR warranty without hesitation or question (before they even started the sales BS pitch). Zeigler is selling the exact same thing - Mopar Maximum Care. This is the same as buying directly from Ram Dealership or Ram (Dodge) Company, the only difference is buying it online from the Zeigler site. I got the 8 year/85k $100 deductible for $1430. The dealer and/or Ram Direct will match Zeigler as they are the exact same product (not a third party). BUT, one item I realized form other forum thread is the extended warranty does NOT cover the rear window frame crack that is plaguing the 1500 5th gen series for 2019, 2020 and one report of early 2021 (Rebel). That is very annoying as this seems to be fairly widespread.
$1430 that’s not bad!

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you plan on keeping your truck past the 3/36 warranty? If so, then it may have a benefit based on how you long you plan to keep it and how many miles you plan to drive. Not for everyone, but with the cost of electronics in vehicles today, one repair could cost far more than your warranty did.
I don’t, after the problems I had with my 19 ram no way, no warranty in the world could fix that! Tire issues, warped rims, vibrations, wouldn’t hold balance. Not sure if extended warranty would cover any of that?

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I don’t, after the problems I had with my 19 ram no way, no warranty in the world could fix that! Tire issues, warped rims, vibrations, wouldn’t hold balance. Not sure if extended warranty would cover any of that?
Not sure if it would. Probably be a “fight”
sorry you had issues. Whats your plan for 2022 vehicle/brand wise?

Uga40

Reaction score
I took the 8yr 85K mile max care. I am keeping the truck and just wanted the peace of mind. I drive around 8K miles per year max. It was only $1175. Seemed like a no brainier.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I took the 8yr 85K mile max care. I am keeping the truck and just wanted the peace of mind. I drive around 8K miles per year max. It was only $1175. Seemed like a no brainier.

For that price its fine... you really will run out of time first, like I do... we average 600 miles a month... 😬

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure if it would. Probably be a “fight”
sorry you had issues. Whats your plan for 2022 vehicle/brand wise?
I pressured ram to buy that pos back and I built a 2021 Laramie sport, too early to tell I’ve had it two weeks only has 175 miles on it now! Bad thing is, I’ve never been a ram guy, however I do have to say I believe the 1500 ram is the nicest 1/2 ton for the money that is for sure, just hate the problems. And yes I know all brands have issues, that’s why I got another ram? I like the new fords, but $6,000 more for less, chevys are too dated. Also looked at the Nissan and Tundra dated, overpriced for what you get and mpg sucks! Not sure about 2022, I think several of these trucks are getting a facelift or complete over hull. Guess we will see.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I pressured ram to buy that pos back and I built a 2021 Laramie sport, too early to tell I’ve had it two weeks only has 175 miles on it now! Bad thing is, I’ve never been a ram guy, however I do have to say I believe the 1500 ram is the nicest 1/2 ton for the money that is for sure, just hate the problems. And yes I know all brands have issues, that’s why I got another ram? I like the new fords, but $6,000 more for less, chevys are too dated. Also looked at the Nissan and Tundra dated, overpriced for what you get and mpg sucks! Not sure about 2022, I think several of these trucks are getting a facelift or complete over hull. Guess we will see.
X10 on above

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Same here except I drive maybe 9000-10000 miles/year. For that very reason I chose to not buy one since I’d run out of time way before the mileage. for $1175 it wasn't worth it to me, especially since I wouldn’t even be using the warranty for two more years anyway (factory warranty runs out in 2022 or 36000 miles, I’m at 16000 now.) that $1175 will earn me way more money properly invested in the market. To each their own, I certainly understand the “peace of mind” angle especially with folks who wake up at night worried about repair costs. Me personally, I’ve talked to way too many folks who have purchased ESPs for a grand or two and never used them, vs those who did use them. It’s a gamble... I’d rather spend that $$$ in good yielding investments, especially since these plans are only sold to make money and indeed they are extremely profitable for the manufacturers.

Also, one thing to remember. If something breaks down after the factory warranty expires... That first repair is really costing you what you paid for the ESP plus your deductible. So in effect if you spent $1175 for an ESP with a $100 deductible, that‘s the true cost of that first repair.. even if the repair is only really $200. So that repair just cost you $1275 (or $1530, or whatever you paid.) Only THEN would future repairs only cost you your deductible and start counting towards what you spent on the ESP. Not worth it to me

Last edited:

Yabodie

Reaction score
Just called Zeigler and was informed that the in-service date is when the truck rolled off the factory line. So if you buy an 8 year plan, then in effect it only extends it an additional 5 years. The first 3 year, 36K mile warranty covers the first 3 years of the 8 "year" plan. If you wait till after the 3 years is up, then you can still buy a full 8 year plan, but the price jumps about $1k. Thinking I might just stick with the 10 year 100K plan offered by my dealer for about $3K that got rolled into the 0% 72 month financing.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the 2020 Laramie 4x4 Crew Ecodiesel with 11500 miles. I just bought the Max Care 6/100,000 warranty from Ziegler's for $1250. Seemed fair to me for peace of mind.
I’m at a little over 12k on my eco diesel right now. How does that extended warranty work exactly? We have 5 year 100k on the power train from the factory and 3/36 bumper to bumper. So did you basically just extend your bumper to bumper but added nothing to the powertrain warranty?

Users who are viewing this thread