5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extended warranty

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is absolutely WRONG! In service date is the DAY YOU BUY THE TRUCK! Just more dealer crap where they have no idea what they're taking about.

In addition, a 10/100K for $3K is HORRIBLE!
Good catch otherwise a guy could easily have a 2 year 36k warranty, ha ha.

Uga40

Reaction score
This is absolutely WRONG! In service date is the DAY YOU BUY THE TRUCK! Just more dealer crap where they have no idea what they're taking about.

In addition, a 10/100K for $3K is HORRIBLE!
It is, I bought from them and my date is the date I bought my truck plus 8 years, not the factory build date. My truck was built 10/19
f5b46ac55e27a732be47e2d21e8d5feb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RJS

Reaction score
Securityguy is correct, my in-service date on the contract is the day I bought my truck from the dealer. Built 2/19 sold 8/19/19. Contract expires 8/19/27 or 125,000 miles, whichever comes first.

WReckeR

Reaction score
I took the 8yr 85K mile max care. I am keeping the truck and just wanted the peace of mind. I drive around 8K miles per year max. It was only $1175. Seemed like a no brainier.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
exactly how I felt about it. The trip interruption is $1000. A week of rental is several hundred dollars, PLUS whatever gets fixed. Peace of mind for tow/roadside assistance.

WReckeR

Reaction score
Same here except I drive maybe 9000-10000 miles/year. For that very reason I chose to not buy one since I’d run out of time way before the mileage. for $1175 it wasn't worth it to me, especially since I wouldn’t even be using the warranty for two more years anyway (factory warranty runs out in 2022 or 36000 miles, I’m at 16000 now.) that $1175 will earn me way more money properly invested in the market. To each their own, I certainly understand the “peace of mind” angle especially with folks who wake up at night worried about repair costs. Me personally, I’ve talked to way too many folks who have purchased ESPs for a grand or two and never used them, vs those who did use them. It’s a gamble... I’d rather spend that $$$ in good yielding investments, especially since these plans are only sold to make money and indeed they are extremely profitable for the manufacturers.

Also, one thing to remember. If something breaks down after the factory warranty expires... That first repair is really costing you what you paid for the ESP plus your deductible. So in effect if you spent $1175 for an ESP with a $100 deductible, that‘s the true cost of that first repair.. even if the repair is only really $200. So that repair just cost you $1275 (or $1530, or whatever you paid.) Only THEN would future repairs only cost you your deductible and start counting towards what you spent on the ESP. Not worth it to me
Condor,

What rate of return do you expect to get every year for 5 years on $1175? 10% annual return is an additional $717. 20% annual return is an additional $1749. If you can earn 10% or 20% every year, for 5 years in a row, regardless of market conditions, you're in the wrong profession. I'll give you my nest egg right now if you guarantee it.

How much do you think it would cost to have to rebuild the top end of the engine, or repair/replace the transmission? Several thousands. Replace the 12" screen? I can tell you rebuilding a rear differential, which I had to do on a smaller Dodge Dakota cost over $1200 13 years ago.

What's right for you is right for you, but I think it's irresponsible to lead others to believe it's a waste of money or that they're foolish somehow. Extended warranties are only extremely profitable if Ram reliability is exceptional. Clearly, it's not. Parts and service are major profit centers for any dealership, and they wouldn't be if vehicles had exceptional reliability. $1175 is less than 2 payments. For that, you get YEARS more coverage; but the roadside assistance, tow, rental, and trip interruption perks are really what tip the scales. These are all costs that drivers don't report when talking about the cost of repair.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never said it was a waste of money for everyone and I thought I was very clear on that.. to each their own. However for me it is. The power train warranty is covered to 5 years/60,000 miles, which for me will be time way before miles. I’ve never had an engine or power train go.....ever. In fact I’ve never had any vehicle that cost me thousands for any repair until WELL past 100,000 miles. (Last one was my VW Passat where the turbo needed to be rebuilt at 140,000.) Since I drive very low miles, its just not worth the expense. I highly doubt I’ll have thousands in repairs by the time I hit 85,000, which will probably be after 12-13 years, unless my truck is a lemon... whole different story then. So far it’s not. Sorry but ESPs are not for everyone. I fully understand why they are for some. And regarding my investments, I’ve got way better use of $1175 than sinking it into a “maybe” where I won’t even be using it for two more years. No matter the rate of return.. the important thing is that the money GROWS instead of just sitting there in a “maybe.” Thus... waste of money... for ME, but not for everyone. Totally understand why for some it is peace of mind, and I’m cool with that. If you feel like you have to justify the money you spent on an ESP, then that just means it was the right decision for you.

Last edited:

WReckeR

Reaction score
Never said it was a waste of money for everyone and I thought I was very clear on that.. to each their own. However for me it is. The power train warranty is covered to 5 years/60,000 miles, which for me will be time way before miles. I’ve never had an engine or power train go.....ever. In fact I’ve never had any vehicle that cost me thousands for any repair until WELL past 100,000 miles. (Last one was my VW Passat where the turbo needed to be rebuilt at 140,000.) Since I drive very low miles, its just not worth the expense. I highly doubt I’ll have thousands in repairs by the time I hit 85,000, which will probably be after 12-13 years, unless my truck is a lemon... whole different story then. So far it’s not. Sorry but ESPs are not for everyone. I fully understand why they are for some. And regarding my investments, I’ve got way better use of $1175 than sinking it into a “maybe” where I won’t even be using it for two more years. No matter the rate of return.. the important thing is that the money GROWS instead of just sitting there in a “maybe.” Thus... waste of money... for ME, but not for everyone. Totally understand why for some it is peace of mind, and I’m cool with that. If you feel like you have to justify the money you spent on an ESP, then that just means it was the right decision for you.
Fair enough. It is really hard to gauge reliability without full disclosure from the manufacturer, or a forum full of dealer mechanics. I read comment sections in Facebook daily, since FB learned I was buying a Ram (privacy? What is that...? :unsure::D). I can say though that lots of owners are having problems with the 12" screen. Lots of owners see all manner of check engine lights. My 20 yr old Dakota has a manual transmission which has always been reliable, due to its simplicity. But a 8 spd auto transmission is very complex, and all truck manufacturers have auto tranny issues. I've fixed almost everything on my Dakota myself, save front suspension and the rear differential. But I've had many problems over the years. It is a gamble, but so is investing.

The key for me was the difference between the $2250 list price and the $1175 discounted price from Ziegler. That and the non-truck related services -- roadside, rental, trip interruption and towing. These are things I can delete from my insurance policy now and for the next 8 years.

JGRaider

Reaction score
I’m at a little over 12k on my eco diesel right now. How does that extended warranty work exactly? We have 5 year 100k on the power train from the factory and 3/36 bumper to bumper. So did you basically just extend your bumper to bumper but added nothing to the powertrain warranty?

That was exactly my intent. Hope I don't need it, but I think the cost was worth it for my peace of mind. I usually trade trucks every 5 years or so anyway.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
Get the Best Price on a Factory Extended Warranty

I contacted all the sources I know of that sell discounted genuine Mopar warranties for a price comparison. Did I miss anyone?

Zeigler
Clay Robbins
Tom Winkels
Riedman Motors
Chrysler Warranty's
Jeep Factory Warranty
Mopar Service Contracts
Chrysler Warranty Direct
Chrysler Factory Warranty
Jason Edmonson

Check out this link to see who had the lowest prices.

saylor

Reaction score
I SHOULDNT HAVE TO BUY AN EXTENDED WARRANTY ON A NEW VEHICLE WHAT THE FRESH HELL

R.I.P. our standards

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Progress and technology cost money. Backup cameras, touch screens, automatic braking, auto-driving, blind spot monitoring, electronic door locks and so on are not cheap to buy and is definitely not cheap to fix. Special programming, rolling access codes, unique connectors/bypasses, and the like make it cost prohibitive to stock all that stuff in your garage or learn how to use it. You get your 3 years (or 36K miles) to work any production kinks from the factory, after that you're on your own (except you get a little more time with the drivetrain).

Because just about anything even semi-major will require the dealership to deal with it yes, I have an "insurance policy" of an extended warranty.

I didn't have an extended warranty on my last truck because I could buy a new part on-line, get my tools out of the garage, unbolt some stuff, put the new part on, and then drive the truck. No VIN-matching modules to "talk" to each other, no special codes, no dealership passwords/access, and no software manipulations. I may not have been as quick as a certified mechanic but I know it got done right and it saved me $150/hour.

UNL67Volvo

Reaction score
Is $1,675.00 for an 8y/100k $200 deductible, on a new build/1 mile Limited, a good deal? That's the Zeigler quote after email to them yesterday, referencing the good Silent Bob.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Is $1,675.00 for an 8y/100k $200 deductible, on a new build/1 mile Limited, a good deal? That's the Zeigler quote after email to them yesterday, referencing the good Silent Bob.
I would say if that's the Ziegler price, you won't get much better. You can see if Jason, or another will beat it but that may only save you another $50.

Majormaxie

Reaction score
Keep in mind that it isn't just the powertrain you are protecting yourself against. It is all of fancy electronics and computer modules in vehicles now a days. I am not PRO or AGAINST warranties...everyone needs to make up their own mind based on situation. If you're planning to keep the truck for 5+ years, a $200 deductible warranty may be a great choice as one module or piece of electronics can be more than the cost of the warranty. Just sayin'
This is precisely why I am looking. I had my 2019 RAM in 16 times (yep, 16!) for a display issue ( that magical 12" inch display )-- it would lock up showing the camera views and that's all. Locked... no control. Eventually, by visit #10 or #12, display went black -- so each time dealers (went to 2 in Tampa area) tried to repair such, without success (I at least got the display replaced & "working".) Numerous SW updates, lots of overnight visits (at least I got a wrangler to mess with). But only in the last few weeks has it seemed to "work". So: Q. keep truck? or sell it? All so far covered by 36/36K B2B warranty. But that's ending this July! BTW, its rare it is the powertrain that loses it before 100K miles. But all the 1000s of electronic and platic-mechanical trinkets are my RAM's Achilles many heels! As for # total warranty visits, 20! Side mirrors both replaced, light switch came out of dashboard... others I forgotten ... hmmm? do I see a GMC on the horizon again?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is precisely why I am looking. I had my 2019 RAM in 16 times (yep, 16!) for a display issue ( that magical 12" inch display )-- it would lock up showing the camera views and that's all. Locked... no control. Eventually, by visit #10 or #12, display went black -- so each time dealers (went to 2 in Tampa area) tried to repair such, without success (I at least got the display replaced & "working".) Numerous SW updates, lots of overnight visits (at least I got a wrangler to mess with). But only in the last few weeks has it seemed to "work". So: Q. keep truck? or sell it? All so far covered by 36/36K B2B warranty. But that's ending this July! BTW, its rare it is the powertrain that loses it before 100K miles. But all the 1000s of electronic and platic-mechanical trinkets are my RAM's Achilles many heels! As for # total warranty visits, 20! Side mirrors both replaced, light switch came out of dashboard... others I forgotten ... hmmm? do I see a GMC on the horizon again?
If I were you, see what kind of deal you can get on a 2021 and call it a day. Great trade in prices going on now. The 2019 clearly has some big issues that needed attention (although I was blessed in that my 2019 did not cause me any issues except for the dash delimitation). The 21 appears to have all of the "bugs" worked out...at least so far!

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had major issues for a year and 8000 miles with my 19, many trips to dealer, many new parts with no fix. I pushed ram to buy it back and they did. I’ve had my 2021 now for 2.5 months 1200 miles 0 issues🤞! I would have demanded they replace the whole screen a long time ago, or have they? I would also want it all replace and another 3 years / 36000 warranty on the parts they replaced. Just like my multiple trips to dealers with no fix, enough is enough...... Good Luck👍🏻 My 2021 will be gone just under 3 years from date of purchase!

Users who are viewing this thread